Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile BB connection issues

Options
  • 19-11-2016 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Im with 3 in Ireland for mobile broadband for 4 years and has always been excellent. However last week, for whatever reason i could rarely connect and when i did speeds were brutal. Anyway driving back from a pub where i'd been using their wi fi i noticed my3 dongle was still plugged into laptop and blue light was on meaning i was connected so went home brought laptop inside and i was still connected.

I disconnected and tried to reconnect but no joy. Anyway the upshot is that when i want to go online i have to bring my laptop abut 100 metres down the road, connect and bring it home, absolutely no problems staying connected and speeds are good etc. But if go offline ui cant get back on without having to feck off down the road again. Any tech heads able to explain why this is so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I wonder could it be "cell breathing". Maybe more people in your area have started using Three and your mast has shrunk it's coverage area to compensate.

Only a guess and maybe not a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

/Speculation

Likely there's an RSSI threshold before it'll latch to a cell. Its not reaching that so deeming all cells in range "too bad" but you moving gets you over that threshold. Going back inside causes it to continually hunt for a better link but as it doesnt find one itll hold on for dear life while it can.

The real answer is to stop using a dongle, its the worst way to receive an already weak sauce service. Get a 3/4G router and place it in a window facing the mast ( siteviewer.ie ).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There may be more people who bought 3 phones and are using data 3g connections ,in your area
    A tower can only connect to x amount of phones or 3g routers at one time
    to provide a good data connection ,

When i,m down the country i can only get 3g A data signal by placing my phone in the window sill ,if i,m in my friends house .
    facing south , then i put it in wifi tether mode to provide web acess

Advertisement