Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SUV & 4X4

• 19-11-2016 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on
    an SUV with AWD or a Jeep 4x4, both must be auto

Budget is 30k and must be from a main dealer

For family use and towing, off road etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Lexus rx, preferably an rx450h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

I do like the Lexus but the other half finds the styling bland.......anyway

Crv is quite nice, always forget about these. Any real life reviews on the Sportage or Tuscon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe a Nissan X-Trail from the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Will you be towing much weight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Nissan xtrail cvt

https://www.nissan.ie/vehicle/x-trail/pricing/393

34k but after discount, about 30-31k

I think they only sell the X-Trail in 4wd and auto in top spec which is alot more than 30k.

Edit, just looking at the Nissan site and it looks like the 4wd version only comes in manual or CVT only comes in 2wd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/land-rover/discovery/used-2013-131-land-rover-discovery-3-wexford-fpa-2698352675361574748

just over budget but if you've no trade in you should be able to talk away 1500 of that handy enough.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/land-rover/discovery/used-2013-131-land-rover-discovery-3-wexford-fpa-2698352675361574748

just over budget but if you've no trade in you should be able to talk away 1500 of that handy enough.

Thats an ex-vat price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

What will you be towing and how often? Tucsons and sportages arent up to much for towing.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    What will you be towing and how often? Tucsons and sportages arent up to much for towing.

Small twin axle box trailer carrying motorbikes

Just popped into Kia and Ford

New Sportage comes with sat nav and heated seats as standard when you buy the 2.0 auto model and has the low range option.

All above are options on ford even at higher spec and has no low range option

Both sit neat 40k new

Looking at Seat and Volvo this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭thegodlife

I would look at the Kia sorento, I have an old one now but previously when things were good with me drove XC90, XC70 and Discovery. Feel it compares very well much cheaper than the Volvos and not as big a tank as the Landrover. If things improve for me again and looking towards a newer car would certainty look at newer version of it.

thegodlife wrote: »
    I would look at the Kia sorento, I have an old one now but previously when things were good with me drove XC90, XC70 and Discovery. Feel it compares very well much cheaper than the Volvos and not as big a tank as the Landrover. If things improve for me again and looking towards a newer car would certainty look at newer version of it.

I did....very nice and goos specs but at 50k I'd rather sway towards a used Discovery or Range Rover.

I myself had a top spec 06 GSE Sorento and did find it very nice

A new Vitara diesel auto 4x4 is 31k ex works. She's only a 1.6 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you sure the sportage has a low range box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Stephenc66

My choice second hand would be a discovery I think that they tick all the boxes perfectly

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you sure the sportage has a low range box?

According to the sales guy it has. I had a discussion about the range of jeeps/suv that do not offer low range and he said the Sportage has that option!!

Maybe he was wrong but he did say it was an electric switch to lock her into low

Stephenc66 wrote: »
    My choice second hand would be a discovery I think that they tick all the boxes perfectly

I really like the Disco's......question is will the other half!

Going into Landrover this week to have a look

I hope you have deep pockets for the potential repair bills on the Disco, it will definitely do the job but they can be high maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

RAV4 Hybrid AWD? No low range but super effective off road? Motor on each rear wheel. 1600kg towing capacity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭thegodlife

My OH found the disco a bit big and avoided driving it as much as possible although not intended it became my primary car and I found it heavy on juice and repairs.

I'll check out the Rav 4.......should be pretty reliable to.

Yes the Disco's are hard and juice and do give some issues.....I will let my oh drive them also and she what she thinks.

Kia Sportage do not have the auto tailgate, I actually asked kia why as this option is available in other countries anx on other similar makes......response below

Its not a necessity, however if other similar makes have it then why choose Kia?

"Thank you for your interest in the all-new Sportage.

We’d love to include everything, but the cost to the customer would go too high were we to include too much of the available tech, this is because of factory costs and the cost to bring the cars into the country. But each country is different and so we would have extras in our cars that other markets would not have – it’s just the way that the motor industry and taxation works sadly.

I hope you do go ahead and purchase a new Sportage, overall they are very well spec’d and lovely cars to drive! We will have a new GT Line available in 2017 and the 2017 models will also have Android Auto and Apple Car Play"

Just to let you know the CR-V AWD is a 1.6 bi-turbo 160bhp
    I've had one for a year and find it great, bigger than expected on the inside
    I'm averaging 5.8l/100km in mixed driving
    On long runs it can go as low as 5.2l/100km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volvo/xc60/used-2011-volvo-xc60-d5-se-luxury-donegal-fpa-1881737597098102455

No idea on towing capacity or off road capability, but it's a very torquey engine so should be up to the job of towing a decent sized trailer. Have a 2010 manual version - despite AWD and over 200 horses, it's not quick, but low/mid range torque is on par with 3.0 diesel engines.

Furthest off road it's been is the beach and it coped more than adequately there. Probably capable of traversing wet/muddy fields with a trailer in tow, but wouldn't fancy taking it up the side of a mountain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Stephenc66

I know they are quite big but if you are into out door activities the boot is huge, it just swallows gear.

I have done a fair bit of towing (large heavy loads) with a three different Disco's from 2011 to the present one and having experience of towing with quite a few SUVs incl a V10 VW Touraeg the Disco is far and away the best.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Just to let you know the CR-V AWD is a 1.6 bi-turbo 160bhp
    I've had one for a year and find it great, bigger than expected on the inside
    I'm averaging 5.8l/100km in mixed driving
    On long runs it can go as low as 5.2l/100km

What are they like for acceleration? I know they are 160bhp and have two turbos but the CR-V is a big/heavy vehicle and the AWD drive train adds more weight again.

bazz26 wrote: »
    What are they like for acceleration? I know they are 160bhp and have two turbos but the CR-V is a big/heavy vehicle and the AWD drive train adds more weight again.

Not bad...I wouldn't say its as quick off the block compared to my 150bhp Legacy diesel, but for its size, its ok

You do have to drop it a gear (maybe 2) especially in 6th if you want to overtake quickly, but its sufficient enough for my needs

I was down in Cork a few months ago and needed to get to a family gathering quickly with my brother in law and he said it was quicker than he expected it to be for such a big car

Its not a permanent AWD afaik, its just used if needed and on take off. Then goes to FWD to conserve fuel

Just seen the new Seat Ateca, did not get a test drive yet but I have to say the quality is quite impressive and so is the spec.

High spec comes in at 43k but thats with every option bar the panoramic sunroof. Has all the extras you can think of including park and lane assist

What I like aswell about the CR-V is the flat floor in the back - no transmission tunnel so the middle seat passenger doesn't feel cramped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭monseiur

For class, reliability, value for money, pulling power, comfort, safety and depreciation proof look no further that the Toyota Land Cruiser ....ask any farmer. Unlike other 4x4 it straddles the urban/rural divide!

biko wrote: »
    Subaru Forester
    Read through boards on issues with diesel boxer engines...hence the reason I'm no longer driving my Legacy :(

monseiur wrote: »
    For class, reliability, value for money, pulling power, comfort, safety and depreciation proof look no further that the Toyota Land Cruiser ....ask any farmer. Unlike other 4x4 it straddles the urban/rural divide!

My first choice...... but she thinks its to much of a mans jeep!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Read through boards on issues with diesel boxer engines...hence the reason I'm no longer driving my Legacy :(
    I used to own a petrol Forester and loved it to bits. I am even considering selling my current car to buy another Forester.

I used to own a petrol Forester and loved it to bits. I am even considering selling my current car to buy another Forester.

I really like the outback, however the 2.5 turbo is only pushing out 162 which I find low for a 2.5.....maybe its high in torque

Test drove the new seat Ateca 2.0 turbo diesel....was very impressed with the Quality and spec.

Handled very well with little corner roll and acceleration was good for an SUV. Has race, snow, off road and custom setting for the AWD which is basically VW 4motion

Has large touch screen which can fully connect to any android via usb or bluetooth. Has no sat nav but your phone's sat nav will be shown on screen. Has wireless charging pad for your phone.

Heated leather seats, cruise control, reversing camera and sensors. Lane control ect

Quality inside is as you would expect from top spec VW and vidoes show good off road capabilities.

40k ish for top spec auto

Apparently limited stock available......or so they say

• Advertisement

do your research if you do
    there's lots on here about premature failures of the boxer diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Far too many opinions being offered by the other half :pac:

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Far too many opinions being offered by the other half :pac:

Not all is lost....viewing an X5, Range Rover Sport & vouge tomorrow.

Advertisement