Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build (personalised) opened as show house without our consent

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

conversly , I have been told by many builders to never ever buy a show house. They are thrown up as quick as possible so sometimes if things need time to set (adhesives , concrete etc…) this time isn't necessarily given, also things like design issues with routing of pipework / cables etc… are all discovered when building the show house and the tradies learn how to avoid that in the following houses.

I hate to buy a house from one of the many builders that told you never ever to buy a showhouse. Must have been all celtic tiger cowboys

The ones I have had dealings with put a bit more care and personal input in to the show house, after all it was the one that sold the rest. Could you imagine a tile coming off the bathroom wall on an open Sunday? Word of mouth about shoddy construction would have the tiler kicked off site first thing Monday.

I'll agree to a degree about design issues, but only to the point that the plumber or sparks would come up with a more efficient or cost effective way of doing things after working on a few houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

For those advising the op to look for "rent", op is not the owner, until the contracts are signed, sale completed and keys handed over, the property is still owned by the builder, not the op. It sounds like op got a PC sum for tiling/ware etc and added to it to upgrade, that is very common and the builder is indeed doing the op a favour by allowing him/her to proceed with this, the builder could start the tiling etc after completion during which time the op would have to begin mortgage repayments before the work is completed. This way the completion will be timed to coincide with the date when the op can start moving furniture/personal items in and so reduce the time during which the op cannot move in but still has to make repayments. By the sounds of things the op does not have any personal items in the house, he/she can inspect the house before his/her solicitor hands over funds and the op signs final contract.

Much ado about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

+1 I'd be looking for the rent , a complete professional clean and the locks all changed.

Even if the builder changes the locks the OP will still need to change them once they move in, since they'll have no idea who's had access to the keys.

Change the locks yourself once you sign/move in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

davo10 wrote: »
    By the sounds of things the op does not have any personal items in the house, he/she can inspect the house before his/her solicitor hands over funds and the op signs final contract.

This is right yes. We have no furniture etc, just our own personalised kitchen, bathrooms, tiles, wardrobes, paint and a few other bits. The builders have been very accommodating and I got my knickers in a twist because I didn't want anyone in there "ruining" it, when in fact, they would probably be doing less harm than the normal day to day goings-on in the house.

We went down to the showhouses yesterday to see the EA, again he wasn't there. I left a message for him to get in contact as I just want to discuss why we weren't informed. I realise we don't have to be informed but I think it would just have been a common courtesy. Our house was not open as a unit for viewing, next door was though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

Boater123 wrote: »
    If you ever come to sell, you can legitimately say that your house was used as the show house, ie the best house in the estate and therefore worth a few pound more.

When I worked on the buildings I would have considered the showhouse the least desirable to purchase.
    They were usually built hurriedly with all the trades working together for the first time and issues not ironed out until later in the site development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

. It sounds like op got a PC sum for tiling/ware etc and added to it to upgrade.

Can someone explain PC sum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

. It sounds like op got a PC sum for tiling/ware etc and added to it to upgrade.

Can someone explain PC sum?

It's really just an allowance a builder includes for tiles / bathrooms - for use for purchase / supply from their own subcontractors / suppliers, so you can't take it and go somewhere else i.e. Your own supplier / contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Utah wrote: »
    No solicitor involved yet but I will be talking to him on Monday.

Yes contracts are signed. Mortgage cheque has been issued, we are nearly in the door!
    Have both parties signed the contract, and if so, have you had someone with legal knowledge have a look over the contract first?

I ask, as you may have already agreed to this, in said contract....!

the_syco wrote: »
    Have both parties signed the contract, and if so, have you had someone with legal knowledge have a look over the contract first?

I ask, as you may have already agreed to this, in said contract....!

As far as I know they have signed and yes, I might have agreed without really reading the small print!

Anyway. We spoke to the EA yesterday and the matter is now closed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    PC sum

It's really just an allowance a builder includes for tiles / bathrooms - for use for purchase / supply from their own subcontractors / suppliers, so you can't take it and go somewhere else i.e. Your own supplier / contractor.

So is it included in the sale price or do you have to fork out extra?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If the builder allowed a PC sum of €500 for kitchen tiling, you then go to his supplier and pick out tiles to the value of €500. If you spend €300 then the balance of €200 is reduced from final figure.

If you spend €700 you pay the €200 above the PC sum.
    Very common in extensions and one off builds. Not so common in large multi unit developments.

Pinch Flat wrote: »

kceire wrote: »
    If the builder allowed a PC sum of €500 for kitchen tiling, you then go to his supplier and pick out tiles to the value of €500. Of you spend €300 then the. A lance of €200 is reduced from final figure.

If you spend €700 you pay the €200 above the PC sum.
    Very common in extensions and one off builds. Not so common in large multi unit developments.

Yeah that's it.

You can really personalise it as options were vast.

Advertisement