Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commodore 64

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Skommando wrote: »
    Only rich knobs that new nothing about computers had them. The real computer heads had sinclairs.

I wanted a commodore myself but ended up with a Sinclair spectrum James Bond special limited edition even game with a laser gun and James Bond logos all over the crate!

http://www.nightfallcrew.com/20/11/2013/sinclair-zx-spectrum-2a-james-bond-007-action-pack/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I had one when I was about 11 or 12.

Some of the cassettes had the same game on both sides. One side took about ten minutes to load and the other took about three minutes. The idea of that was the ten minute side was less likely to go wrong in the middle of a game.

One of the worst games I had was Daley Thompsons Decathlon. to run you had to move the joystick from left to right as fast as possible. This resulted in repetitive stress injury as well as a broken joystick.

I remember trying to program a piano simulator thing from the manual. It would take over an hour to type and it never worked. I think this was because it used weird symbols that you had to press the F keys as well as control or alt to get and I usually seemed to do them wrong. There was an okay number guessing game that only took a couple of minutes to program though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

No mention of Turrican still one of my favourites to this day.

Game copying all came down to the type of cassette it has to be chrome tapes. After that not a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

mzungu wrote: »
    Fair play, those games were all really tough.

(Dizzys) Yeh, I have to admit I used to buy the magazines every month with the free cheats in them so I had a load of lives to help me find all the coins . that was the hardest part, jumping off clouds ect ect .

There were some great free playable demos on them tapes .
    Our local news agent had a stand with games and I'd spend ages deciding what games to buy, I think I probably wrecked the poor owners head , most would turn out to be shyte .

Another great game was "way of the exploding fist"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The old C64....the prayers offered up so games would load. The joysticks that wouldn't last half an hour until my brother bought me a zipstick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

I remember being g told that you could record games to blank cassettes.

The problem was usually graphic equalizers built into the systems used for rercording. It would mess with the frequencies of the signals on the tapes and when trying to load a copy, the C64 wouldn't know what it was hearing, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Terminator 2

Longest wait ever for a game to load
    Wasn't even worth it

Still played it loads though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Broken joysticks playing Track & Field!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

10 PRINT"Nostalgia"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Skommando wrote: »
    Only rich knobs that new nothing about computers had them. The real computer heads had sinclairs.
    Colour clash. Beep beep beep. Keyboard like warm jelly. But hey, it was the UK's #1 cheap ass computer so a lot of people convinced themselves they were better...
    FIGHT!

Ted111 wrote: »
    10 PRINT"Nostalgia"
    1985 PRINT "NOSTALGIA"
    2016 GOTO 1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

anyone here who played Gauntlet on either commodore or amstrad? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

soap1978 wrote: »
    did the poor people have amstrads 464

We got the shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

mzungu wrote: »
    I don't think I ever played a tennis game on the C64, so not sure on that score.

Was it any of these?

On Court tennis was very good. But the out and out best racket game for C64 was Jonah Barrington Squash. Brilliantly playable. Super 3D. And VOICE !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Ah memories... Flimbos quest and leaderboard golf were favourites of mine happy times.I never knew anyone to use on for something other than gaming though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

and

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Ah the memories :D

I still have mine in its original box. It came with a gun that you hooked up to it but it only came with one game that you could use it with. Can't remember the name of it but I remember one level being down a sewer or something. Never got very far. Does anyone else remember it?

It also came with a bullseye game......yes as in Jim Bowen!!!!!

But the ultimate game and where I wasted many a weekend was on........bubble bobble.....I can still hear the theme tune :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I love the Turbo Outrun Soudtrack.

I remember my nan bought me Street Fighter 2 and everybody wanted me to swap it but it wasnt half as good as the Super Nintendo version. I actually prefered the First Street Fighter.

Boulderdash. Elite (admittedly not as smooth as some other versions). Paradroid. Turrican. Head Over Heels. The Bard's Tale. Exile. Mercenary. Bubble Bobble.
    My fave list is pretty endless to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Anybody have Daredevil Denis or Green Beret?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

I had one second hand. The difference was I had a disk drive with it. Old 5 and 3/4 inch disks that made some noise when loading them. I had roughly 200 games loaded onto about 3 of theses disks and it took less than a minute to load a game. Proper luxury gaming back then. Specially after the spectrum 48K.
    Italia '90 was the best game going at the time. Egypt never held Ireland to a 0-0 on my f***ing watch.

It came to an end one day because of football manager 2. The thing about that game is no matter what team you picked you started in the old division 4. That meant that to win the top league back then ( no European football involved) you had to play through four seasons. The problem was there was a save feature that never worked any time you tried to save and play later it crashed and all your progress was gone. This meant you needed to do 4 seasons in one sitting to win the top league. So one morning I got up about 6:00 and started a game. About 1 am the next morning with my mom screaming at me to go to bed I was 10 points clear with 5 games to go when the transformer melted.

I regret nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Ah the memories ,

Playing Boulder Dash on a crappy portable TV in my bedroom on my trusty C64 :D
    The 30th anniversary Boulder Dash is on Steam

I managed to collect a few cartridges for it ( anybody remember the Action Replay cartridge , handy for cheating :D ? )

I also managed to buy a cartridge of the game "Hugo" when I lived in Denmark .

It was a weird game about a troll , in Danish , that was made into a phone in gameshow and shown on TG4 in the mid 90's

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Ah the memories ,

Playing Boulder Dash on a crappy portable TV in my bedroom on my trusty C64 :D
    The 30th anniversary Boulder Dash is on Steam

I managed to collect a few cartridges for it ( anybody remember the Action Replay cartridge , handy for cheating :D ? )

I also managed to buy a cartridge of the game "Hugo" when I lived in Denmark .

It was a weird game about a troll , in Danish , that was made into a phone in gameshow and shown on TG4 in the mid 90's

Bolderdash is back? I remember it as Repton 3 (from 'superior software') because of my cousins BBC Micro. World class gaming right there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

We had a Sinclair Zx81 - it was sh*te. Well, it was my big sister's. the Spectrum was much better as it could play half decent games.

One on my best mates had a C64 - it was deadly. Much better than a Sinclair. He had loads of games with ok graphics for the mid 80s but loading the games too forever!

A few years later (around 1990) I got a Commodore Amiga. Much better computer and played some deadly games. I adored that computer!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

TinCool wrote: »
    That and Beach Head

Classic game

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had a Dragon 32, made not in Silicon Valley, but a Welsh valley. :D Had a proper keyboard and 32 K of ram. 32 bleedin K!! :eek::pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Boulderdash and paperboy <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Bolderdash is back? I remember it as Repton 3 (from 'superior software') because of my cousins BBC Micro. World class gaming right there.

Yeah , it's back .
    Created by Peter Liepa and Chris Gray

It has all the basics that made Boulder Dash great , but they added power ups and made the game over reliant on them .
    Falling diamonds don't kill you by default .

Luckily there's a "Hardcore Mode" with no power ups , and falling diamonds kill you , just like the original .
    This should be the default setting , to me anyway .

There's more creatures too , as well as the fireflies ,butterflies and amoebas .

I'd give normal mode 6/10 ( it's too easy ) and hardcore mode 8/10 .

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Did you have one of these?

Yup. And using an emulator I actually managed to reply one or two games off it recently. Specifically one called "Supremacy" which I had forgotten about until another boardsie mentioned it recently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Loved my C64. Ocean games loading screen music ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

'Syntax Error' - Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Anyone else have a game called ‘Street Soccer’ it was a bit weird but a good fun two player game. I think it was 3 v 3 and you started by picking your team from what looked like a bunch of ghetto kids hanging around outside a building. Then you played on a road against a bleak background of urban derelict. Quality game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Football Manager on the C64.... Dave Fanning on the radio. What more could you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My first computer was an Acorn Atom, it was like he BBC Micro's not so bright younger brother. It was good fun though, it was possible to upgrade so it was almost like a homemade computer if you were into that. I wish I had held out for the Spectrum though, the games were much better

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Tracksuit Manager. I gave years of my life to this game. So simple and so addictive!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Wibbs wrote: »
    I had a Dragon 32, made not in Silicon Valley, but a Welsh valley. :D Had a proper keyboard and 32 K of ram. 32 bleedin K!! :eek::pac:

Any colour on screen as long as it was a shade of green.. ;)

I had an Oric. Still in therapy.

10 shoot
    20 wait 200
    30 explode
    40 wait 200
    50 goto 10

I almost bought a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64_Games_System at one point. Odd cartridge only Commodore console, out about 1990. They were being 'dumped' on the Irish market at Christmas as a bundle offer, as far as I can recall.

The joys of alcohol.. Commodore Football (cartridge) was the most drunk friendly game you could get.. the ball was almost as big as the players and the action took place at a leisurely pace.

And who can forget "rockstar ate my hamster"

No really who can - if you know - tell me how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Senna wrote: »
    I think ours is still in my mum's attic, should really take it down some day.
    There was one game, think it was called "Hunchback", each screen was a different obstacle, jumping from pillar to pillar, swinging over a hole, etc. Loved that game, I did look for it on an emulator a few years ago but couldn't find it.

http://www.superretro.net/hunchback-c64/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Good Chrome tapes always used to work for me when copying. Turn off the graphic equaliser and high speed dubbing you were sorted. We had a proper little piracy ring going in primary school.

Must try to sort out retropie on the raspberry pi some time soon. Though it wont be the same without the quickshot joystick and half hour wait for the game to load.

One of the worst games I had was Daley Thompsons Decathlon. to run you had to move the joystick from left to right as fast as possible. This resulted in repetitive stress injury as well as a broken joystick.

that's why you used a golf ball instead

I don't know about the C64 but on the spectrum you had a copy program that you loaded first then load the game you wanted to copy and then record it to tape
    can't remember what it was called now though and when I got a twin deck tape recorder that went by the wayside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Late to this thread but I had a Commodore Vic 20 followed by a 64. I still have it (along with all my games) and it still works.

My father kept it locked in a writing desk and we could only use it when we were good and for very short periods of time. But it naturally ended up in my room. So many hours sunk into games which were great for the day. I always remember that the cassette games took 110 "Blocks! to load. Zzap!64 magazine was my bible.

My favourite games included -

Black Hawk - top-down flight game where you had to fly over islands
    Brice Lee - classic platformer - and if you had two joysticks you could play with a friend
    The Last Ninja - at the time I felt like the graphics were almost photo-realistic
    Way of the Exploding Fist - great martial arts game
    Impossible Mission - never finished it
    Ace 2 - fun splitscreen aerial combat
    Gremlins - type your commands adventure game, great fun but got very difficult near the end
    Gauntlet - always crashed around level 30
    Falcon Patrol - sideways scrolling shooter - good fun
    Platoon - fun varied shooter with bonus Track of my Tears audio cassette!
    Gunship - very ambitious Apache flight sim with keyboard overlay
    Rambo - Commando ripoff but fun
    Little Computer People - kind of an early Sims type game
    Fairlight - "3D" isometric action adventure game
    Back to the Future - infuriating and repetitive
    Loads of US Gold titles - THAT loading music
    Spy vs. Spy - based on the Mad magazine comic strip, great multiplayer fun
    Strangeloop - inventive and original space-based puzzle game
    Infiltrator - horrendously difficult flight / stealth game.
    Loads more titles that will come to me throughout the day no doubt. Fun times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I had one when I was about 11 or 12.

Some of the cassettes had the same game on both sides. One side took about ten minutes to load and the other took about three minutes. The idea of that was the ten minute side was less likely to go wrong in the middle of a game.

I remember trying to program a piano simulator thing from the manual. It would take over an hour to type and it never worked. I think this was because it used weird symbols that you had to press the F keys as well as control or alt to get and I usually seemed to do them wrong. There was an okay number guessing game that only took a couple of minutes to program though.

I reckon Mr Thompson heard about Irish kids giving themselves RSI playing a game and making him royalties in the process. Must have prompted his remarks about us being thick ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

doubledown wrote: »
    Late to this thread but I had a Commodore Vic 20 followed by..

Omega Race on the Vic-20 was amazing, considering the hardware it ran on, always looked forward to that visiting a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

maximo31 wrote: »
    Tracksuit Manager. I gave years of my life to this game. So simple and so addictive!!

Hands down the best football management game of all time. Even me Da started playing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

im sure mine is up in the attic with a load of old games.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marlay

Had, and still have. One of my favourite games had to be

Best soundtrack ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was late to party on the C64, only had it for a few months before the I was bought the Mega Drive.

I had the Football game (where if you land perfectly under the ball, you could make it stick to your head and run into the goal), Terminator, where I got past the first level only once and some racing game where your futuristic car could be swapped to a motorbike. It also had Smoke on the Water as the theme song, loved that game.

On a more serious note, it definitely got me interested in computers, great call from my parents to pick one up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Emlyn Hughes International Soccer and Tracksuit Manager.. Quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement