Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia v Ireland

Options
  • 20-11-2016 12:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭

Is the standard of living really higher in Australia compared to Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Found work - life balance worse than in Ireland.

Cost of meat in Oz was daylight robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Guess it depends how you measure it.
    We found we had a lot more disposable income and luxury goods and gadgets in Aus than Ireland but we are happier in Ireland overall despite being poor again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

In my experience yes. Way better salary here for me and similar rent to home. Lots more disposable income, lots more saving and lots more spending on unnecessary things

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

punk_one82 wrote: »
    In my experience yes. Way better salary here for me and similar rent to home. Lots more disposable income, lots more saving and lots more spending on unnecessary things

I have to ask, it may off course not be relevant, just something I found myself on my travels. Do you find yourself with more disposable income because you drink less? I found in Canada/NZ/Aus that was the case for myself and Im not even a real drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Found work - life balance worse than in Ireland.

Cost of meat in Oz was daylight robbery
    How do you compare the price of meat between the two?
    Lots of people just apply the current exchange rate. Which always struck me as odd.

Very quick google here, but a kilo of chicken in Tesco is €10. A kilo in Coles is $9. So it's actually cheaper, even more so when you consider the different currencies.
    d.pop wrote: »
    Guess it depends how you measure it.
    We found we had a lot more disposable income and luxury goods and gadgets in Aus than Ireland but we are happier in Ireland overall despite being poor again...
    More disposable income and luxury goods means a higher standard of living.
    Being happier in Ireland is something else, much more individual than can be measured I'd guess.

• Advertisement

Kal El wrote: »
    I have to ask, it may off course not be relevant, just something I found myself on my travels. Do you find yourself with more disposable income because you drink less? I found in Canada/NZ/Aus that was the case for myself and Im not even a real drinker.

No I'd say I probably end up drinking more here. I just get paid a lot more for doing the same job as at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

I thought you were talking about the rugby game this weekend when I saw the headline!

I think it all depends on what you are talking about.

Money-wise, I make a lot more here than I would at home. But on the flip side, I pay a lot in rent, utilities, transport.....

For me standard of living doesn't mean money though.

For 6-8 months of the year, I cook dinners constantly outdoors on a BBQ. Between hosting & attending, from now until April-ish, we would be at party's/BBQs nearly every weekend.

Being involved in sport here, I've had 2 games postponed due to bad weather in the 4 years I have coached teams. I remember my last year in Ireland where I played one game in the last 3 months before leaving!

I've grown a love for cooking, and the availability of different products due to the huge diversity of the country is astounding.

The same as anywhere though, nothing is all good. There are challenges and sh*tty experiences everywhere. Like I said, cost of living isn't cheap. While not being in debt, it is very easy to live pay cheque to pay cheque here.

In Exile wrote: »
    I thought you were talking about the rugby game this weekend when I saw the headline!

I think it all depends on what you are talking about.

Money-wise, I make a lot more here than I would at home. But on the flip side, I pay a lot in rent, utilities, transport.....

For me standard of living doesn't mean money though.

For 6-8 months of the year, I cook dinners constantly outdoors on a BBQ. Between hosting & attending, from now until April-ish, we would be at party's/BBQs nearly every weekend.

Being involved in sport here, I've had 2 games postponed due to bad weather in the 4 years I have coached teams. I remember my last year in Ireland where I played one game in the last 3 months before leaving!

I've grown a love for cooking, and the availability of different products due to the huge diversity of the country is astounding.

The same as anywhere though, nothing is all good. There are challenges and sh*tty experiences everywhere. Like I said, cost of living isn't cheap. While not being in debt, it is very easy to live pay cheque to pay cheque here.

Standard of living definitely seems better for everyone I know here, but it's the quality of life that's the real draw. My favourite things in Australia are free and I wouldn't come close to getting to enjoy the outdoors in Ireland like I do here.

Advertisement