If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for compact home cinema / music setup

Options
  • 20-11-2016 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've had the same Philips 5.1 cinema system about 8 years now the size of the speakers and amount of wires starting drive me mental!

I was looking at soundbars because obviously there going to take up less space but would I be losing out on sound quality with a bigger room?

Im not 100 percent sure on budget yet but ideally I'd like to keep it 600 euro max if possible unless it's really worth going over.

Bascially to sum up my post I want something that takes up less space but still has performance to get the most out of console gaming and a home theatre pc used for watching tv shows movies and listening to music In a fairy big sitting room.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Hi,

I've had the same Philips 5.1 cinema system about 8 years now the size of the speakers and amount of wires starting drive me mental!

I was looking at soundbars because obviously there going to take up less space but would I be losing out on sound quality with a bigger room?

Im not 100 percent sure on budget yet but ideally I'd like to keep it 600 euro max if possible unless it's really worth going over.

Bascially to sum up my post I want something that takes up less space but still has performance to get the most out of console gaming and a home theatre pc used for watching tv shows movies and listening to music In a fairy big sitting room.
    Hi, thanks for your post, and apologies for the delay in getting back to you

To be fair yes if you go the soundbar route as opposed to full 5.1 pack you are going to lose out, but with some levels of soundbars, you may not lose too much

One soundbar well worth looking at is the Monitor Audio ASB2 - http://euro.richerie.aspdotnetstorefront.cefasoft.net/p-12454-asb2.aspx at €399 - this doesn't come with a sub, but for your budget you could add one to it if need be.
    It is a bit larger than most soundbars but that allows for a much fuller sound, especially when playing music through it

Cheers
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

To be fair yes if you go the soundbar route as opposed to full 5.1 pack you are going to lose out, but with some levels of soundbars, you may not lose too much

One soundbar well worth looking at is the Monitor Audio ASB2 - http://euro.richerie.aspdotnetstorefront.cefasoft.net/p-12454-asb2.aspx at €399 - this doesn't come with a sub, but for your budget you could add one to it if need be.
    It is a bit larger than most soundbars but that allows for a much fuller sound, especially when playing music through it

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks for the reply!
    I looked into loads of different sound bars and found two mentioned that had some sort of surround system involved but the price was very high.

So I went back and noticed this on your site http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200669-bdvn7200w.aspx I'm wondering first how Is it for wires are they incredibly thick and long like lot of systems or is it neat?

Also how is it for performance I've read plenty good reviews but was few mixed also.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks for the reply!
    I looked into loads of different sound bars and found two mentioned that had some sort of surround system involved but the price was very high.

So I went back and noticed this on your site http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200669-bdvn7200w.aspx I'm wondering first how Is it for wires are they incredibly thick and long like lot of systems or is it neat?

Also how is it for performance I've read plenty good reviews but was few mixed also.
    Thanks for the post & apologies for the delay getting back to you.

The Sony BDVN7200 is a neat unit and of course it includes a Blu-Ray player, but whilst its good value at £459 its really getting to the sort of money where you can start to assemble a serious AV system and its really worth going the whole hog if that's a possibility:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200669-bdvn7200w.aspx

If you want a soundbar that will give you a surround effect then really I feel that only the Yamaha YSP models really can achieve any level of surround and even at that - its an effect - the one that really does give you a stunning placement of sounds all around the room is the Yamaha YSP5600 but unfortunately its also got a fairly hefty price tag ( But it is completely amazing!)

However if you are looking for a Soundbar that has exceptional sound quality and does away with all the mess and wires etc then either the Monitor Audio ASB2 which we are doing at £299 as a Black Friday week special (see the review at £800)
    http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/asb-2/review

Or the amazing Q Acoustics Media 4 which has  just won the What Hi-Fi award for best soundbar 2016 (again)
    http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/media-4/review

..which is now just reduced to £279 / €344 will both look really neat and sound pretty amazing!

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks for the post & apologies for the delay getting back to you.

The Sony BDVN7200 is a neat unit and of course it includes a Blu-Ray player, but whilst its good value at £459 its really getting to the sort of money where you can start to assemble a serious AV system and its really worth going the whole hog if that's a possibility:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200669-bdvn7200w.aspx

If you want a soundbar that will give you a surround effect then really I feel that only the Yamaha YSP models really can achieve any level of surround and even at that - its an effect - the one that really does give you a stunning placement of sounds all around the room is the Yamaha YSP5600 but unfortunately its also got a fairly hefty price tag ( But it is completely amazing!)

However if you are looking for a Soundbar that has exceptional sound quality and does away with all the mess and wires etc then either the Monitor Audio ASB2 which we are doing at £299 as a Black Friday week special (see the review at £800)
    http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/asb-2/review

Or the amazing Q Acoustics Media 4 which has  just won the What Hi-Fi award for best soundbar 2016 (again)
    http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/media-4/review

..which is now just reduced to £279 / €344 will both look really neat and sound pretty amazing!

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The av system was something I looked into before but it was coming to big money so that's what put me off.

I like the look of the Sony system plus I'm used to that kind of system now compared to a sound bar.

I've only heard audio from mid range lower range bars so no idea what higher range one would be like compared.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

How soon,

seriously you have got to listen to the Q Acoustics Media 4 - its really pretty amazing - we have it on demo under a TV between 2 very expensive bookshelf speakers and N O B O D Y who get a demo of it will believe when they come in that its the soundbar and not the stereo system.

Its completely simple to use as it just uses an optical connection but honestly before you go and blow the butt end of £500 again on a system with wires that you really don't want and that sounds ok(ish) do have a listen to the M4!

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

How soon,

seriously you have got to listen to the Q Acoustics Media 4 - its really pretty amazing - we have it on demo under a TV between 2 very expensive bookshelf speakers and N O B O D Y who get a demo of it will believe when they come in that its the soundbar and not the stereo system.

Its completely simple to use as it just uses an optical connection but honestly before you go and blow the butt end of £500 again on a system with wires that you really don't want and that sounds ok(ish) do have a listen to the M4!

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 
    Ill have to look into this more so thank you!!!

How soon,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Ill have to look into this more so thank you!!!

How would this bar hold up to a 5.1 cinema system such as the sony above for example?

Also just noticed this which gets great reviews also http://www.richersounds.com/package/speakers/speaker-packages/pah01309

So my two back speakers have stopped working today can't seem to fix them.....

Looks like gonna have to move on something as a replacement now.

Just obviously with it being Christmas I'm not exactly flushed with cash ha.

So I've been looking at this ALOT!

I think personally I want a 5.1 system not having rear speakers would be an issue for me.

Thing is do I go for all in one system or do I set up my own ......

I don't want wires everywhere so the systems with rear speakers that don't need to be attached to main unit where perfect but it seems there only in the all in one packs?

At end day I don't want to spend a fortune unless it's a major investment the fact I have a 100 euro one for all voucher is swaying me towards certain places to unfortunately ha.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

So my two back speakers have stopped working today can't seem to fix them.....

Looks like gonna have to move on something as a replacement now.

Just obviously with it being Christmas I'm not exactly flushed with cash ha.

So I've been looking at this ALOT!

I think personally I want a 5.1 system not having rear speakers would be an issue for me.

Thing is do I go for all in one system or do I set up my own ......

I don't want wires everywhere so the systems with rear speakers that don't need to be attached to main unit where perfect but it seems there only in the all in one packs?

At end day I don't want to spend a fortune unless it's a major investment the fact I have a 100 euro one for all voucher is swaying me towards certain places to unfortunately ha.
    Hey How soon Is now.

You could go for an all in one setup but any that we would stock do not come with wireless rears unfortunately.

There are very few one box systems that we stock.

Check the link below which shows the 4 packs we stock:
    http://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/home-cinema-separates/home-cinema-systems

Let me know if any catch your eye.

Any questions please drop me a post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.