Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini build help

Options
  • 20-11-2016 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭

So my sister wants to get a laptop for her son. He's autistic but he's high functioning. Gamer at heart. Mostly into the wii and wiiu but has interest in PS4 and wants to eventually make youtube videos.

Anyway, she decided that on her budget (€300ish) she couldn't get anything decent. And seeing as hardwareversand is gone, I don't know where to look anymore for the best bargains.

1. What is your budget? €300ish

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (adventure type games, probably no mmos), used to looking at Wiiu graphics, some ps4. Someday for making youtube videos, but we can upgrade down the line.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Hdmi tv so max 1080, and possibly but doubtful.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless keyboard and mouse, cheap as chips.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing? Asap, needed for Xmas (yeah, she's very late to be asking)

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? N/a

I know it's a small budget, but something to keep him going with the older games for now (he'll have my steam library to keep him tied over). Graphics don't have to be stunning. Built this for the brothers kids a year or so ago, so something similar spec wise which hopefully should be cheaper now!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Geizhals.de and using mindfactory for everything but the case. (it adds too much extra to delivery for case).

Upcoming Balck Friday /cyber Monday deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

If you drop the graphics card from your old build you are there and it should handle older games with an easy upgrade to add a gpu down the road.

Something like i3-6100, Antec vsk3000, Corsair cx430, MSI H110M PRO-VD, 2*4GB DDR4 and 1TB disk comes out to about 325 (without the keyboard and mouse). You can go one of the cheap case+psu as in your old build to get it down under 300 probably but if you can stretch out to an i3-6300 I would for the bit of extra speed it gives to the gpu (1.15GHz Vs 1.05GHz) with the extra 1MB of cache and 0.1GHz of main core speed more of a bonus.

Alternatively you could maybe scrape enough off with the case+psu and by dropping to a Pentium G4400 to squeeze in a gtx 1050/rx460 depending exactly where your price cut off is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The budget really needs to be around 400 to get a solid base gaming machine, otherwise you're cutting corners which will result in certain games being unplayable, via either not having a dedicated graphics card, or a poor processor.

Is 2nd hand an option? Some decent builds on adverts for that money (most sellers also accept way less than asking price, it's how adverts works really) that would be much better all-rounders than anything you could build for 300.

Otherwise minitrue's option is the best bet - get an i3 based system for now and get by with the integrated graphics (certain games will be a no-no but older games should be largely OK) until you can afford to buy a dedicated card (RX460 for €110 solid choice)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sorry for the late replies, barely coverage for calls out here, let along Internet (God I miss the Internet...).

I'll see if I can get her to up the budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

OK, budget is now 400!

Advertisement