Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mini Cooper SD engine

• 20-11-2016 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a 151 Mini Hatch Cooper SD. When I put it into Cartell/motor check it comes out as 2015 Mini Cooper SD G2 XT72 4DR. Would I be correct in saying XT72 is the engine code? I can't seem to get any reviews of the engine online.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It should be the BMW B47 engine, same as a later (2014 on) 518d/520d far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It should be the BMW B47 engine, same as a later (2014 on) 518d/520d far as I know.

Would it be considered reliable enough engine? 10 mile commute on country roads and the odd long spin on the motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why you looking at diesel with such small mileage, through caution to the wind and get a copper s, cheaper and faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op stay clear of diesel. Petrol only way with that mileage.

I'm doing around 500 miles a week in a 2lr petrol

Op stay clear of diesel. Petrol only way with that mileage.

I'm doing around 500 miles a week in a 2lr petrol

It's not for me but for a friend. They're set on diesel, I've tried to convince them otherwise but was unsuccessful. If it has to be a diesel, is this unit solid enough?

• Advertisement

It's not for me but for a friend. They're set on diesel, I've tried to convince them otherwise but was unsuccessful. If it has to be a diesel, is this unit solid enough?

Yes but they will be plagued with huge service bills and extra expenses.

They are mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Why get involved in such a stupid decision? Tell them to buy a petrol and walk away. Let whoever it is make their own mistake.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Why get involved in such a stupid decision? Tell them to buy a petrol and walk away. Let whoever it is make their own mistake.

They've been told to stick with diesel cause buying a petrol mini is burning money. I just want to make sure they get a good diesel even if it's much worse then a petrol

They've been told to stick with diesel cause buying a petrol mini is burning money. I just want to make sure they get a good diesel even if it's much worse then a petrol

There is no such thing as a good diesel for short journeys. Why get involved? Clearly your opinion doesn't matter if they are insisting on getting a diesel on someone else's advice.

Tell them they're wrong and let the other advisor take the strain when it breaks.

The guys are right, tell them your advice is get the cooper s, if they want the diesel go ask somone else as your sources are telling you there crackers buying the tractor.

Get them to drive both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

They've been told to stick with diesel cause buying a petrol mini is burning money.

20mile roundtrip is burning money but they can afford a newer car? What's it costing in petrol a week, €25? €30?

I reckon they mean depreciation rather than running costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Would a petrol Cooper S be hard to shift? I know it's a niche choice, but I would have thought even in Ireland anyone who wants a fast supermini would want it to be petrol rather than diesel powered? If I was in the market for a fast Mini there's no way I'd buy a diesel one, lower road tax or not.

The current generation Mini uses the B37 and B47 diesel engines throughout the range, I think the earliest Cooper SDs are 168 bhp, but I know they've been doing the same 187 bhp version that's found in various x20d BMWs for stuff like the Countryman and other models as they switch over from the R56 generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Would a petrol Cooper S be hard to shift? I know it's a niche choice, but I would have thought even in Ireland anyone who wants a fast supermini would want it to be petrol rather than diesel powered? If I was in the market for a fast Mini there's no way I'd buy a diesel one, lower road tax or not.

The current generation Mini uses the B37 and B47 diesel engines throughout the range, I think the earliest Cooper SDs are 168 bhp, but I know they've been doing the same 187 bhp version that's found in various x20d BMWs for stuff like the Countryman and other models as they switch over from the R56 generation.

Cooper S would be the easiest mini to shift in fairness, while SD making no sense...

Hardly any enthusiast would look at the diesel, while non-enthusiast will not pay a dime more for Mini SD than regular Mini D

I think you overestimate the car buying public.

Until they stick the n57 in a mini buy the petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

There is no such thing as a good diesel for short journeys. Why get involved? Clearly your opinion doesn't matter if they are insisting on getting a diesel on someone else's advice.

Tell them they're wrong and let the other advisor take the strain when it breaks.

Thats strange,
    I have been driving diesels for mostly short journeys since 2008 and never had an issue with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Until they stick the n57 in a mini buy the petrol.

Hmmm the latest petrol engines seem to have crankshaft thrust bearings recalls for some models. You'd be afraid that it would turn into another N47 no recall, no goodwill, shortlived quality assurance program, some good will, flip a coin sort of experience.

vectra wrote: »
    Thats strange,
    I have been driving diesels for mostly short journeys since 2008 and never had an issue with them.

What years and do you keep them long.

You may well get away without issue for a year or two but modern diesel engines and all the emissions gizmos they have creates major expense .

What years and do you keep them long.

You may well get away without issue for a year or two but modern diesel engines and all the emissions gizmos they have creates major expense .

What year did the OP post and did he mention how long the car would be kep't?

• Advertisement

What year did the OP post and did he mention how long the car would be kep't?

It be kept for 5 years+. It's 151

It be kept for 5 years+. It's 151

My 08 Cordoba 1.4 tdi, I sold with 26k on the clock.
    it is now close on 100k and never missed a beat.

My white 2010 vRS I sold with almost identical mileage.
    It is now around 60k, One front suspension leg went.
    Other than that it has been a dream. Not one issue.

My 2013 vRS combi I sould with 17k on the clock.
    Last time I spoke with the new owner he had close on 50k on it. That was a few months ago. I can only imagine it is now close on 60k as well
    He cannot parise the car enough..

I dont get this hatred for diesel cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

20mile roundtrip is burning money but they can afford a newer car? What's it costing in petrol a week, €25? €30?
    I've been commuting a 32-mile roundtrip (16/16) in a Cooper S ('08 convertible) a good while, and can vouch that it'll be substantially more than that :D

I can't get any better than 32-33 mpg with nursing it and liberal use of cruise control (-when I try, which is arguably not that often).

Second car is a C220 CDI. That's not used for the commute (unless I have to go someplace and look respectable :pac:), but mostly used for family outings and long trips. Much less daily miles being put on that, but many more miles aggregate than the Cooper S, is the way to do it.

My 08 Cordoba 1.4 tdi, I sold with 26k on the clock.
    it is now close on 100k and never missed a beat.

My white 2010 vRS I sold with almost identical mileage.
    It is now around 60k, One front suspension leg went.
    Other than that it has been a dream. Not one issue.

My 2013 vRS combi I sould with 17k on the clock.
    Last time I spoke with the new owner he had close on 50k on it. That was a few months ago. I can only imagine it is now close on 60k as well
    He cannot parise the car enough..

I dont get this hatred for diesel cars.

You've been lucky really. I sell parts for 6 major franchises and the emission restrictions are killing engine components left right and center, they just soot up. Short journeys kill egrs, dpfs and problems slwsyd with high pressure fuel delivery eg injectors, pumps.

Diesels are grand for motorway munching but in my experience and talking to our franchised technicians it is generally accepted that Euro 6 emission standards will be the death knell for the devils fuel.

You've been lucky really. I sell parts for 6 major franchises and the emission restrictions are killing engine components left right and center, they just soot up. Short journeys kill egrs, dpfs and problems slwsyd with high pressure fuel delivery eg injectors, pumps.

Diesels are grand for motorway munching but in my experience and talking to our franchised technicians it is generally accepted that Euro 6 emission standards will be the death knell for the devils fuel.

Maybe I was lucky.
    my current car is EU6 and so far so good. almost 14k on it which includes loads of short trips

Advertisement