Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redoing bedroom wooden floors

Options
  • 20-11-2016 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We've bought a house. The engineer flagged at the time that the joists weren't bridged in the floors upstairs and the noise was significant and would worsen

He proposed two solutions:
    1. Lift the carpet and screw the floorboards into the joists themselves. This will not fix all the noise but will significantly improve it apparently

2. Lift the carpet, lift the floor, bridge the joists then relay everything. This will likely completely fix it

I'm looking to see if anyone has any idea on costs for either of these solutions? The latter I'm guessing is a substantial job so we need to start saving. We could do the first ourselves but I've no idea how to relay carpet or if you can hire someone for that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Is it a newish house

You clings are probably cracked if there is that much movement.
    I would take down the ceiling. Rebridge the joists and add a few more if needed. Then screw the floor from above . I salute the ceiling g and RE slab it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Is it a newish house

You clings are probably cracked if there is that much movement.
    I would take down the ceiling. Rebridge the joists and add a few more if needed. Then screw the floor from above . I salute the ceiling g and RE slab it

Built in 2006. The ceiling below? Christ that's a huge job then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Hi,

We've bought a house. The engineer flagged at the time that the joists weren't bridged in the floors upstairs and the noise was significant and would worsen

He proposed two solutions:
    1. Lift the carpet and screw the floorboards into the joists themselves. This will not fix all the noise but will significantly improve it apparently

2. Lift the carpet, lift the floor, bridge the joists then relay everything. This will likely completely fix it

I'm looking to see if anyone has any idea on costs for either of these solutions? The latter I'm guessing is a substantial job so we need to start saving. We could do the first ourselves but I've no idea how to relay carpet or if you can hire someone for that?

Better to lift the carpet & floor boards. Fit metal joist bridging.Dispose of floor boards & fit osb plywood & relay or fit new carpet. You could also consider adding insulation while the floor is up. It would be a better & cleaner job working from the floor rather from the ceiling. Depending on size of the room you could allow 2 days for 2 men plus materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

tradesman wrote: »
    Better to lift the carpet & floor boards. Fit metal joist bridging.Dispose of floor boards & fit osb plywood & relay or fit new carpet. You could also consider adding insulation while the floor is up. It would be a better & cleaner job working from the floor rather from the ceiling. Depending on size of the room you could allow 2 days for 2 men plus materials.

Can you show what you mean by joist bridge - would any providers have these.

Also Determined to get rid of my squeaky floors - is tongue and groove ply best or just smooth edge boards. What about putting something between the boards to stop them rubbing off each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

bikenut wrote: »
    Can you show what you mean by joist bridge - would any providers have these.

Also Determined to get rid of my squeaky floors - is tongue and groove ply best or just smooth edge boards. What about putting something between the boards to stop them rubbing off each other.

Google metal joist bridging images & you will see what they are. Yes all builders merchants & the likes of b and q etc. should have them. Id go with straight edge osb ply for the floors as you will probably end up cutting them to suit the floor joists. No need for anything inbetween the boards

• Advertisement
Advertisement