Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Orleans to Vegas

Options
  • 20-11-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry about the typical what to do question but myself and the lads are planning to go to the states in January and trying to come up with a plan (well they leaving it to me!). We have 2 weeks to spend there.

My plan was to fly to New Orleans and then drive from there to Vegas (or fly some part of it) stopping in Houston, Austin and Dallas along the way but we flexible.

So my question is has anybody any experience of this route and any suggestions on what to do/see or any advice in general.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I assume about 3 days in NO and at least 3 in Vegas and 1-3 days for Houston/Austin/Dallas right?

You'd never get that drive done with the little time left that would leave. If your itinerary is anything like above then just drive NO to wherever in Texas and fly to Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've never been to either but i've also never heard anything to recommend Houston or even Dallas.

Austin has a much better reputation. Personally...i'd drive NO straight thru to Austin, then el paso and up to Albuquerque, then head west. Id take northern New Mexico over Phoenix and southern Arizona.

You could try checking recommendations on TripAdvisor.com

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Cheers lads,

We decided to just drive to Dallas and get a flight to Vegas.

Ah one of the lads loves Texas and wanted to visit and I don't mind so said we'd do that. Might stay an extra night in NO and sacarifc a night in Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Cheers lads,

We decided to just drive to Dallas and get a flight to Vegas.

Ah one of the lads loves Texas and wanted to visit and I don't mind so said we'd do that. Might stay an extra night in NO and sacarifc a night in Texas.

Fair enough. Get a nice comfy car for that drive. In the Dallas area I've heard the Fort Worth area is more lively. I think there's an old downtown area there.

Defiantly spend an extra day in NO. Its an amazing city. If you leave NO by car then you really should drive around the bayou, and the delta area. I've never done it but its supposedly really beautiful. Disappearing fast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

Try Billy Bob's honky tonk in Fort Worth. There are rodeos well worth looking at also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

On your way up and out of NO towards Dallas, if you stop in LaFayette, there is a great and short visit of a Bayou type lake, it's called Lake Martin.
    We did the Champagne Tour and it was great, you get to see crocs in this flat bottom metal boat, a lovely stop, won't take you the whole day, and the guides are gas.
    https://goo.gl/maps/wn9sgo14bfz

Also on your way out of LaFayette (I think on your road to Dallas) is a brilliant restaurant for Cajun food called Préjean. Gorgeous stuff.
    http://prejeans.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Nice one thanks lads that's the info I'm looking for. Haha he's been to Billy Bob'a before and that's why he wants to go back !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

Nice one thanks lads that's the info I'm looking for. Haha he's been to Billy Bob'a before and that's why he wants to go back !!

Haha brilliant. I love all that country stuff.

Advertisement