Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodwill between employees and employers

Options
  • 20-11-2016 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Just heard David McWilliams on TV talking about goodwill between employees and employers .
    got me thinkng cos I heard the other day about a girl that left work for an hour to go doctor and was stopped an hour in wages .
    Yet the same person works an extra hour every day for basis pay only.

Is this one sided in favour of employer or is the company right to stop the hour .
    The employee has no contract in place .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,746 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That girl is a fool, she should leave if her employer is so petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I learnt a very long time ago and the hard way that you get zero thanks for going above and beyond in any workplace, and even the big multinationals that claim to recognise sterling effort are usually just forced to do so by global HR policies and more often than not, the wrong people are usually recognised so the real hard workers are dwarfed.
    I do my allotted hours in work and no more, if they really really want me to do extra I may do an extra hour or so, but no more than that.
    OP, employers don't care about you, you need to learn that. Just do the bare minimum, get out on time and enjoy your outside life. Companies wouldn't think TWICE about making you redundant if they had to increase profit, no matter how good a worker you are, so don't think twice about them. Anyone who thinks differently, I hope you don't regret working 15 hours a day when you are on your deathbed...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I learnt a very long time ago and the hard way that you get zero thanks for going above and beyond in any workplace, and even the big multinationals that claim to recognise sterling effort are usually just forced to do so by global HR policies and more often than not, the wrong people are usually recognised so the real hard workers are dwarfed.
    I do my allotted hours in work and no more, if they really really want me to do extra I may do an extra hour or so, but no more than that.
    OP, employers don't care about you, you need to learn that. Just do the bare minimum, get out on time and enjoy your outside life. Companies wouldn't think TWICE about making you redundant if they had to increase profit, no matter how good a worker you are, so don't think twice about them. Anyone who thinks differently, I hope you don't regret working 15 hours a day when you are on your deathbed...

That is a very VERY grim post but absolutely true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I think there's a lot of ankers out there these days.

Employment legislation has done a full circle,were back in the workhouse day's especially in factories and retail.

The new generation of
    18 to around 36 age group are being indoctrinated to be lick asses,rats and slaves to the system....

Come on who da fck wants to work 80 hour's a week and get paid for 40 pmsl

Here's 70k a year,we expect you to go above and beyond for that position.

Lol 80 hours a week for 70 k hilarious

Met some dude yesterday out surfing and he was proud to be doing 70hrs a week for an IT company for 35K
    A year
    Telpus

Because you're worth it

I do my 40 and on a Friday I'm like a grey hound out of trap no 6
    I leave a trail of dust behind me,which isn't hard I work in forestry and gardening....

I've a huge portfolio of grounds to look after,and it's refreshing to work outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I think there's a lot of ankers out there these days.

Employment legislation has done a full circle,were back in the workhouse day's especially in factories and retail.

The new generation of
    18 to around 36 age group are being indoctrinated to be lick asses,rats and slaves to the system....

Come on who da fck wants to work 80 hour's a week and get paid for 40 pmsl

Here's 70k a year,we expect you to go above and beyond for that position.

Met some dude yesterday out surfing and he was proud to be doing 70hrs a week for an IT company for 35K
    A year
    Telpus

Because you're worth it

I do my 40 and on a Friday I'm like a grey hound out of trap no 6
    I leave a trail of dust behind me,which isn't hard I work in forestry and gardening....

I've a huge portfolio of grounds to look after,and it's refreshing to work outdoors

That is truly, truly sad. I wouldn't do 70 hours a week for nobody and anyone who does needs to take a long look in the mirror or else get some cop on and realise that you live to work not the other way round. Nothing wrong with working hard for a few weeks etc to get a promotion but the instant you start doing extra hours regularly it becomes expected of you. That's when the problems trying to get time off occur. Its not worth it to sacrifice your time, mental health etc for some job that will live much longer than you and a company who doesn't care for you.

Some people LOVE working 70 hours a week though. That's their problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Once you've received payment for work done, it's considered a contract whether written or not. Although written contracts hold more weight. I also believe that an organisation is required to issue a contract within 2 months. I think though that practice is what would dictate the terms here. (Recently read up on contracts!)

I believe working 70 a week is illegal regardless of being only paid for 40 - they organisation could be deemed liabile if something happened to said employees so it would be foolish for any company to encourage this.

I'd like to think there are some employers out there who value their employees, after all it's good business sense... like look after the employees, they'll look after your customers..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Met some dude yesterday out surfing and he was proud to be doing 70hrs a week for an IT company for 35K A year

You didn't: If he's doing 70 hours/week, then that's work for 10 hours a day, seven days a week. So in the office for a minimum of 10.5 hours/day (assuming only minimal lunchtime). No time to be off surfing on Saturday.

Work is about swings and roundabouts. If the company doesn't offer any swings, I don't give them any roundabouts.

But if they do (and my current gig most certainly does), then I respond in kind. That doesn't mean working 50 hours/week. But it does mean working the hours reasonably needed to get the job done including some night calls, and making myself available to take calls nights and weekends (they've never yet had to call me, but it's reassuring for the staff to know there's someone they can call), etc. Needless to say I get well more than 35k - and of course pay roughly 50% of the amount above 35k in tax.

In the case of the person the OP speaks of (I'm sure she's a woman not a girl), the real question is why she has to work so much extra time in the first place. Ireland has no paid sick leave, so being docked to go to the doctor is pretty normal - though most places would simply allow you to make up the time. It's odd that this policy hasn't been applied here - I'd say there's more to the story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

I do 80 hours a week for 29k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

If you guys knew the stuff I've done for certain managers in my workplace - actually at his home - and then had it completely fcuked back in my face. After that when I gave him the silent treatment he arranged for the owner to give me a warning.

Major lesson learned there. I'll do any work they give me but absolutely no favours given any more. I won't even make a cuppa for anyone. 5:30 I'm out the door like a bullet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

When i was young & a bit wet behind the ears I was promoted in a job and worked my ass off. Worked my lunch, regularly worked 1-2 hours after my clock out time to deal with administrational stuff. Got a warning for being a bit late after a massive crash on the motorway held me up. Tried defending myself to no avail. Worked my allotted hours after that and got the bullet because apparently my 'standards had slipped'. Suffice to say the labour court didn't agree with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Head Wreck wrote: »

whats your hours?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

You didn't: If he's doing 70 hours/week, then that's work for 10 hours a day, seven days a week. So in the office for a minimum of 10.5 hours/day (assuming only minimal lunchtime). No time to be off surfing on Saturday.

He's doing 5 12 hour shifts,then does security most weekends
    Works as a bouncer,at a club in Dublin he was off this weekend

OK I'll rephrase it he's doing 60 hrs in his regular job but gets paid for 40 and then does the security in the club Friday and Saturday
    He's not married

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I posted before in AH about my experiences of people doing unpaid overtime and the type of things they say to justify it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76767397&postcount=48

This workplace culture is here to stay and is only going to get worse IMO.

The majority of managers are pr*cks - penalising someone for being 5 minutes late in the morning after they have done many hours of unpaid overtime is exactly the sort of crap I'd expect. Then again, these managers are probably under great pressure themselves as their boss is an even bigger pr*ck. With no unions to counterbalance this crap in most private sector workplaces, a toxic, fearful and hostile environment arises very easily.

I think one of the best ways to protect yourself from being treated badly in the workplace is to, if possible, live below your means and build up an emergency fund. Even 6 months of living expenses in an emergency fund is good. It can give a person the confidence to politely say "No" when someone is trying to take advantage of them in work. The wage slaves who have no savings and live paycheque to paycheque generally won't have this confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

The more you do the more is expected of you�� So wrong but companies are getting away with it��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I've had a few difficult managers in my time, but I've been blessed with some that have made my career a lot easier than it might have been had I had to rely solely on my own efforts.

It is all about balance, not the mythical work-life balance, but a balance in the relationship between the people involved. Even in truly ****ty workplaces there are good employer/employee relationships and in great workplaces there are people that just can't figure out how to work together. It is not about the money or OT or workload, all can be poor, but if there is trust and respect it can work well. Now of course it helps if the company atmosphere, money and perks are good, it is much easier to be a liked manager in the good times than the lean.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Head Wreck wrote: »

You are working for the princely sum of €6.97/hour

How exactly are you putting in these hours?? Have to be working at least one weekend day???

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Sh1t for thanks. Don't be a martyr is what I say so out the gap on time. I used to be a fool but soon realised you're only a number and if I was to drop dead In the morning the work would still get done so nope not a fool anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

A former company I worked for had a meeting called "wants and offers" between management and workers every 6 months. much in the theme of "goodwill". "Smoke & Mirrors" was a more apt title for the meeting though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Just to balance it out a bit I have worked for employers before on a salary when I did plenty of overtime whilst on a salary but at the same time if I needed a couple of hours off to go to a school play, doctor, vet whatever it was no problem.

It has to be give and take. If it's not then it doesn't work for either party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Post #3 is very accurate.
    I once did a 95 hour week, and regularly did about 70 hours (all unpaid overtime). That company reduced everyone's annual bonus to a small fraction of what was in the contract.
    In another company one year I worked every day from mid-November to New Years Day (except Christmas Day and St Stephens day) when they dumped a job on me that had not been done by someone for five years. Eleven Saturdays/Sundays in a row plus Monday to Friday. In my annual review I got a zero rating from a possible 5.
    I'm retired now. Two years after I left the parent company retired that company. They closed it. High five.

• Advertisement
Advertisement