Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ras scheme

Options
  • 20-11-2016 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I've got a friend who's on the Ras scheme ,she has to leave her house next year because the owner is selling .she has three kids and a single parent also she has a disability.does anyone know anything about the way Ras works ,she's wondering does she need to find a house or as well can she go back on the council list because they took her off without notifying her about that .Because of her circumstances what can be done to help her if anyone knows anything about issues like this could you message me .she has contacted the local council and there reply was not to worry but she is a worrier .thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Hi OP, she needs to do everything in her power to get a similar scheme house in the new year, its tecnically 6 weeks away. as it is a landlords market, with very little available at social Welfare rates.
    Tell her to call down to the council offices and re-apply, and tell them that she is in imminent danger of becoming homeless.
    There are over a thousand families in emergency accom. in Dublin, a friend of mine is in a B&B, and you get one room and a small bathroom whether you have one child or six.
    Even if she goes on the council list, it's unlikely that they will house her any time soon, despite her disability. There is just no stock left, since they sold so much of it off.
    If she is living in Dublin her options may be quite limited. My friend has been searching for accom. for herself and 1 Adhd child for 11 months now from a b&b and she is finding it very difficult in the circumstances she is in. Even though HAP will pay her 1st months rent & deposit in advance, no landlord will go for all the paperwork etc when there are people who work are viewing with 3k cash.
    I don't know why the council are telling her not to worry if they are not offering an alternative. With 3 children and unable to work, and about to lose my home, I wouldn't be able to eat or sleep. Maybe i'm a worrier too!
    Suggest she puts up adverts locally in shops and online looking fir a house to rent. Get the word out amongst family and friends, this is often how ppl find accom by word of mouth.
    If I were her, I'd follow the sale of the house on Daft, or wherever, and make sure the LL dosen't just want to double the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Thank you I will speak to her about what you have said .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

As a landlord have no issue with how a tenant pays once they are the right tenant.
    I have made a mistake with a tenant in the past but sure we can only learn.
    The RAS scheme is not worth it for landlords in areas of high demand at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

She needs to go to the council soon, ask can i get another house on the ras scheme .She can go to crosscare or threshold for advice .
    IT depends on the area ,location, the problem in dublin it can be hard to find a house under the ras payment limit ,eg ras has rental limits for each area .
    And the landlord will have no trouble getting private tenants for any house
    they rent out.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)
    In 2013 the Government approved a plan for a new Housing Assistance Payment (HAP). This involves the transfer of responsibility for recipients of Rent Supplement with a long-term housing need from the Department of Social Protection to housing authorities (local authorities). The legislation to implement the HAP is the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2014 (pdf).

HAP is now operational in many housing authorities. Find out where HAP is in operation. It is expected to be rolled out to remaining housing authorities by early 2017. Different rules apply for Rent Supplement depending on whether you live in a HAP area or in an area where HAP is not yet in operation

Under the HAP process, people assessed by a local authority as having a housing need will apply for housing support under HAP rather than Rent Supplement.

www.threshold.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭irishfemme

I know this is old, but how did your friend get on? I am in the same exact situation and I have 4 weeks to leave. I haven't found anything on the council choice based letting, neither have I had much luck on the private market. The RAS people haven't contacted me to tell me the procedures at all, I have called them and I have been told they would get in touch with me soon, I mean, I have 4 weeks and they are telling me they are dealing with people with notice from jan/feb. I am working and can afford a room to share but it's hard to find someone willing to share as I have a 6 yrs old child.

• Advertisement

They rehoused her they had to once she was on the Ras scheme and her currcumstances didn't change,I m sure you will be okay

dmm82 wrote: »
    Hi sorry for dragging up the thread again but im wondering had your friend come the end of her ras contract? Mine is up this year and i think my landlord will sell up. Im not sure if the council have to help me at all then seeing as the contract will be up

Well she got a council house ,because if your on a Ras scheme it's up to the council to find another landlord willing to accept that or if there's not one willing they will have to offer suitable accom via council

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dublinman40

I've got a friend who's on the Ras scheme ,she has to leave her house next year because the owner is selling .she has three kids and a single parent also she has a disability.does anyone know anything about the way Ras works ,she's wondering does she need to find a house or as well can she go back on the council list because they took her off without notifying her about that .Because of her circumstances what can be done to help her if anyone knows anything about issues like this could you message me .she has contacted the local council and there reply was not to worry but she is a worrier .thanks

Hi there glad to know your friend got sorted. We are family of 4 in similar situation. 4 year contract finishes in 3 months and landlord not renewing as he needs house for himself. Council said we will go on transfer list and to contact them closer to the date. Do you know how long your friend waited to get a house and did she go straight to it or spend time in hotel etc. Thanks

Hi there glad to know your friend got sorted. We are family of 4 in similar situation. 4 year contract finishes in 3 months and landlord not renewing as he needs house for himself. Council said we will go on transfer list and to contact them closer to the date. Do you know how long your friend waited to get a house and did she go straight to it or spend time in hotel etc. Thanks

If you signed the contract to the Ras scheme as soon as eviction on the Ras house they have to move you into another property

If you signed the contract to the Ras scheme as soon as eviction on the Ras house they have to move you into another property

Thanks for reply

• Advertisement

irishfemme wrote: »
    I know this is old, but how did your friend get on? I am in the same exact situation and I have 4 weeks to leave. I haven't found anything on the council choice based letting, neither have I had much luck on the private market. The RAS people haven't contacted me to tell me the procedures at all, I have called them and I have been told they would get in touch with me soon, I mean, I have 4 weeks and they are telling me they are dealing with people with notice from jan/feb. I am working and can afford a room to share but it's hard to find someone willing to share as I have a 6 yrs old child.

@irishfemme. I was wondering how did you get on. Did you get rehoused. I hope you got sorted.

Advertisement