Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club officers

Options
  • 20-11-2016 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Is anyone here an officer a club?

Friend of mine just got asked to help out the club committee and was asking if I knew of any officers, said I'd ask here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

whats the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

morana wrote: »
    whats the issue

Issue? Don't think there is one.

Moreso being able to ask some questions I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

ezra_ wrote: »
    Issue? Don't think there is one.

Moreso being able to ask some questions I think.

yeah fire away. i used to be a president!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the concept and honour of being president is somewhat valued these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

morana wrote: »
    yeah fire away. i used to be a president!

My current position is much more low key than that which morana had but happy to throw my tuppence in.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys - I'll pass on the details!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

I'm PRO of a club for the last 3 years , ask away and we will help if we can.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There are a few club officials I know (and indeed am one myself) who are regulars around here.

Just to explain the requirements from CI's perspective - any club must have a minimum of President/Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary and no-one can hold more than one of those roles at any one time. Any club that's involved in u18s and vulnerable adults are required to have a Child Safety Officer although that role does not have to fall to a committee member.

Beyond that a club can have any number of committee members. Ideally the club should have a written constitution that sets out the roles and responsibilities of the committee and its members, as well as other rules setting out how the club operates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just finished my 2 years as chairman (maximum time any officer can hold a position in our club)
    still leisure secretary though !

A lot of officers! My mate will be happy!

Out of interest - what was your best achievement in the club? What do you look back on and think 'that made it worth while'?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A lot of officers! My mate will be happy!

Out of interest - what was your best achievement in the club? What do you look back on and think 'that made it worth while'?
    We put on the CX Nationals last year and a very large number of club members helped organise the whole thing and turned out on the day to make sure it was a fantastic event. I don't claim much credit myself but the club showed its capabilities that day and put on a great show.

Personally I have tried to promote youth cycling within our club and we are definitely seeing the fruits of time (and indeed money) invested in this area by myself and others. I will admit a personal interest as it's something I've been able to get my own 11 and 13 year olds interested in and hope to seen them progress over the next few years.

Helped grow our little club from 18 members to 46 members in 2 years, plus we have ran 2 sportives for charities and raised €42k.

jamesd wrote: »
    Helped grow our little club from 18 members to 46 members in 2 years, plus we have ran 2 sportives for charities and raised €42k.

Fantastic - that is some achievement! How did you grow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There are always more things a club can do, to grow, to make things better for members, to improve the standard of members , to develop the sport, to build links with the community...
    Always a lot more things that could be done than there are people to do them.

(athletics myself, chairman of a club of about 400)

Fantastic - that is some achievement! How did you grow it?

We started a couch to 50km scheme up and that bought in a few members, we also started supporting local events as the club and that grew our name in the area, we made 1 big change and that was offering a Sunday cycle at a controlled pace to suit all cyclists and that has really made a difference as people were scared to join us for fear of the pace being too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Formed a club and just stepped down as chairman of it this weekend after 6 seasons. From 3 of us and our wives (to make up the numbers), to 75 members and 45 racing licenses and a complete RAS team, with subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Beasty wrote: »
    There are a few club officials I know (and indeed am one myself) who are regulars around here.

Just to explain the requirements from CI's perspective - any club must have a minimum of President/Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary and no-one can hold more than one of those roles at any one time. Any club that's involved in u18s and vulnerable adults are required to have a Child Safety Officer although that role does not have to fall to a committee member.

Beyond that a club can have any number of committee members. Ideally the club should have a written constitution that sets out the roles and responsibilities of the committee and its members, as well as other rules setting out how the club operates.

Is there anyone out there that might have a sample of a Constitution for a club? Or know where I could find one?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

greenspurs wrote: »
    Is there anyone out there that might have a sample of a Constitution for a club? Or know where I could find one?

on the CI site :)
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/downloads/Sample_Club_Constitution.docx

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Was PRO for a year, vice chairman for a year and now since 2 weeks ago the chair. Epic stuff! :D

Am chair of 2 other committees at the moment. Each one different to the other! :D

Advertisement