Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ruanbeg

Options
  • 20-11-2016 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all

Looking at some places out there and just needed some advice. Its within budget but im working up near the docklands. Is it commutable? Is it a nice area? Thanks in advance, im not familar with the area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I think the houses themselves are okay but the only dodgy thing is that it's close to the Kildare Chilling factory so there can be a nasty smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Yeah the smell can be rough from that plant. I wouldn't live beside it.

Commuting wise would be grand if you travelled by train. Driving could be a trek depending on the time of day you were leaving at. It's very busy all the way in from about 6:30 am onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tt2014

Thanks for that guys, is it just the ruanbeg estate affected? I saw a house there online and fell in love, i was hoping to move next year

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭axcel

It's house's around that area, that side of Kildare and closer to the Chilling then. You can see where it is on Goggle Maps. It's a very large estate, I have friend living down the back of the estate and they don't seem too concerned out it so just depends how close to the main road it is. Plenty of other places in Kildare town unaffected, but they come up in frequently enough.

Also with the new Phoenix Park tunnell should be great for you getting the train. I'd be looking closer to the train station if I were you as it's still a bit of a trek to the station from that side of Kildare.

Im looking on daft, would you mind giving me some place names near the train? Im not from kildare :( I really want to live down there, it sounds like a place i want to raise my kids

• Advertisement

I like it but I'm from there so I'm biased. There's not a whole lot going on but it's close to Newbridge and Naas if you need more lively vibe. And Kildare Village has really helped the town, and it's only getting bigger. I'm moving back down from Dublin to commute myself.

The new estate Ridgewood Manor is fab, great finish, but small garden about the 270k mark. Rathbride abbey is nice I think, it's about 15 -20 min walk to the train. I don;t see much else on Daft now. I think Lourdesville, and around the centre there is nice. Maryville, & bishopsland would be old school so couldn't recommend them myself. I don't know much about the newer estates, someone else on here probably could help better with that. There's going to be another new estate Oaktree out the tully road. I love that area but this estate will be right beside the motorway so depends which house you get. Actually the tully area it's self is fab if you don't mind being out of town. But it's more expensive because of this.

I just hear that people that have moved down from dublin with kids say its a terrific place to bring up kids, i dont mind the commute aslong as they are happy, are the schools good? Last question i promise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

tt2014 wrote:
    I just hear that people that have moved down from dublin with kids say its a terrific place to bring up kids, i dont mind the commute aslong as they are happy, are the schools good? Last question i promise

Living down here 9 years. Choice of schools, Religious & Educate Together. Both have very good reputations. There isn't a huge amount in Kildale Town so it's quiet and easy to get around, kinda works well that way. Newbridge is 5 mins away with shopping centres, night life & stuff to do generally. Naas is 15 mins away and has stuff to do as well.
    The commute is bearable if you go by train. I have spent 9 years driving to Dublin & back and it has been hard.

I was going to due the commute by train, working up in the ifsc so it shouldnt be too tiresome, house prices in dublin are just ridiculous and kildare has a real home feel to it and the houses seem to be good value, id love to make the move, everyone seems really friendly and welcoming there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I moved from Dublin to Newbridge last year and wouldn't move back. We got a huge house in a lovely area for the price of a bog standard house in a crap area in Dublin. Between Kildare town, Nass and Newbridge there are enough pubs, restaurants and shops etc to never have to go into Dublin city. I would definitely recommend the move down to anyone. Good luck with the house hunt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 asscookies

We just put a booking deposit on a house in the oaktree estate. Being close to the motorway doesn't bother us. I'm trying to find information on Kildare town, what is it like? Is it safe to walk around at night? Anywhere that would be nice to go for walks? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

asscookies wrote: »
    We just put a booking deposit on a house in the oaktree estate. Being close to the motorway doesn't bother us. I'm trying to find information on Kildare town, what is it like? Is it safe to walk around at night? Anywhere that would be nice to go for walks? Thanks!

Warm summers day - curragh racecourse is great for walking, most walkers use the ambulance track.

Night time walks on the "circular" from Aldi to tesco, to kildare village, over the motorway and left towards aldi again. Very popular at all times and very safe.

National Stud - they have an annual membership for 2 adults for €72 allowing unlimited entry.

Delacent wrote: »
    Warm summers day - curragh racecourse is great for walking, most walkers use the ambulance track.

Night time walks on the "circular" from Aldi to tesco, to kildare village, over the motorway and left towards aldi again. Very popular at all times and very safe.

National Stud - they have an annual membership for 2 adults for €72 allowing unlimited entry.

Thank you for that advice! I come from Rathfarnham so I'm used to going for walks in the parks and mountains. Unfortunately you'd need €400,000+ to buy a house there. It's just not an option for us.
    We've looked everywhere within 70km to Dublin and these houses seem to be the best option for us. And Kildare has everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Thank you for that advice! I come from Rathfarnham so I'm used to going for walks in the parks and mountains. Unfortunately you'd need €400,000+ to buy a house there. It's just not an option for us.
    We've looked everywhere within 70km to Dublin and these houses seem to be the best option for us. And Kildare has everything!

We moved from Rathfarnham too - National Stud would be a mini Marlay without the crowds. Another option is Emo Court about 15 minutes down the M7

I'd start a new thread if I were you as I'd imagine there'll be a few oaktree people around. Looks like a lovely estate, as you say distance to motorway isn't for everyone but Tully is a fab area to be located. There's a bigger circuit outside your house around by national stud then back by aldi also but don't think that's lit the whole way unfortunately but out to crossroads at Newtown is. Tho maybe I'm wrong there. Then of course there's the curragh so you'll be forever exploring there. In my opinion kildare is so safe, I'll out every night walking my dog, I'm more concerned about lighting to be visible for cars rather than safety. Tho I suppose you need to be safe everywhere these days. Anyway you'll see loads of activity with people out walking dogs, or just walking and seems to be running club or that also. There's a 3 k loop out near dummurray where I go to mix it up some evenings, well lit and path whole way. Can't wait for brighter evenings to get out onto the curragh tho

Lizcent wrote: »
    I'd start a new thread if I were you as I'd imagine there'll be a few oaktree people around. Looks like a lovely estate, as you say distance to motorway isn't for everyone but Tully is a fab area to be located. There's a bigger circuit outside your house around by national stud then back by aldi also but don't think that's lit the whole way unfortunately but out to crossroads at Newtown is. Tho maybe I'm wrong there. Then of course there's the curragh so you'll be forever exploring there. In my opinion kildare is so safe, I'll out every night walking my dog, I'm more concerned about lighting to be visible for cars rather than safety. Tho I suppose you need to be safe everywhere these days. Anyway you'll see loads of activity with people out walking dogs, or just walking and seems to be running club or that also. There's a 3 k loop out near dummurray where I go to mix it up some evenings, well lit and path whole way. Can't wait for brighter evenings to get out onto the curragh tho

Thank you!
    All this information is putting my mind at ease!
    This is all great to know! I love going for a walk in the evening alng the dodder so to have somewhere to walk in Kildare is great. Some places we viewed didn't have any footpaths so ruled them out.
    I don't start work in Dublin until 11am and I finish at 10pm so I don't have to worry about traffic.
    I believe the train is pretty decent, if I ever need to get to Dublin without the car I should be okay!
    Thanks for your help. I feel so much better about the big move now!
    I think I'll start a thread and maybe talk to future Oaktree residents!
    I'm delighted there are so many lovely people in kildare. I never thought I'd have to leave my home (Dublin) but we need space and we just can't afford that in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Thank you!
    All this information is putting my mind at ease!
    This is all great to know! I love going for a walk in the evening alng the dodder so to have somewhere to walk in Kildare is great. Some places we viewed didn't have any footpaths so ruled them out.
    I don't start work in Dublin until 11am and I finish at 10pm so I don't have to worry about traffic.
    I believe the train is pretty decent, if I ever need to get to Dublin without the car I should be okay!
    Thanks for your help. I feel so much better about the big move now!
    I think I'll start a thread and maybe talk to future Oaktree residents!
    I'm delighted there are so many lovely people in kildare. I never thought I'd have to leave my home (Dublin) but we need space and we just can't afford that in Dublin.

For gods sake. You didnt realise there were nice people in kildare are you for real.

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    For gods sake. You didnt realise there were nice people in kildare are you for real.

Wow....
    I'm reading what I said, again, and I don't see that written anywhere. Way to twist someone's words. I'm just saying I'm delighted to know I'll have such lovely neighbours. It's nice to be reassured by people who are living there already!
    It's a big move and a huge decision for us. I was trying to be nice and articulate how grateful I am for the advice I was given, clearly lost on you.
    Thanks everyone else. Looking forward to our move.

Advertisement