Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing 6 month old car from Northern Ireland

• 20-11-2016 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Purchased a May 2016 car in Belfast. Will I save on VRT if I wait to January 2017 before I bring it into Irish Republic or will the Revenue backdate the purchase?. Also the car has extras worth 2,500 Sterling. How does the VRT on these extras be calculated.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

DavidAdam wrote: »
    Purchased a May 2016 car in Belfast. Will I save on VRT if I wait to January 2017 before I bring it into Irish Republic or will the Revenue backdate the purchase?. Also the car has extras worth 2,500 Sterling. How does the VRT on these extras be calculated.?

How do you mean €2500 of extras? Is it like an LX model with stuff added on or just a high spec model that cost €2500 more than an LX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How do you mean €2500 of extras? Is it like an LX model with stuff added on or just a high spec model that cost €2500 more than an LX

He probably means Uk spec not the poverty spec that gets sold here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like the OP did no research on this at all prior to buying the car. I hope the car has 6000 km or more on the clock or you very well maybe stung for VAT also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

bazz26 wrote: »
    . I hope the car has 6000 km or more on the clock or you very well maybe stung for VAT also.

Sounds like a roadtrip might solve that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Red Kev wrote: »
    Sounds like a roadtrip might solve that!

I know someone who did this. They saved the uk vat and didn't owe vat here. Not sure how legal it was but he wasn't asked to pay vat as the mileage was over the limit by the time he got home (via a few places)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I know someone who did this. They saved the uk vat and didn't owe vat here. Not sure how legal it was but he wasn't asked to pay vat as the mileage was over the limit by the time he got home (via a few places)

France Spain and Portugal? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

I think we all know how legal it was.

Advertisement