Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling with eczema

Options
  • 20-11-2016 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice from fellow eczema suffers as to any tips for winter clothing layering etc. I was out today, had a three layers, 2 wicking base layers plus a windbreaker on.

By the time I'd gotten home my skin was pretty uncomfortable.

Any tips on what you wear to maintain warmth but minimise discomfort.

Cheers !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I think breathability will be important, so that outer windbreaker layer could pose problems if it's not porous enough. Breathable windproof layers do exist, if your existing outer layer isn't one of those then an alternative may be worth a try.

I'm speaking as someone with sensitive skin but not eczema though, so my experiences might not be entirely useful. My skin gets cranky if it gets cold or overheats on the bike. Winter poses more problems because of the extra layers so I'm careful to choose layers which provide both warmth and breathability.

In my case that means Castelli Sorpasso tights plus Castelli Alpha jersey (plus good quality merino, or good synthetic, base layer) for cold weather, or Assos winter tights plus Assos AirJack 85 jacket plus heavier weight good quality merino or synthetic base layer(s) in very cold weather. Plus merino beanie, merino socks and one or two neoprene outer layers on feet, and decent winter gloves with merino or silk liner gloves when needed.

Moisturising before a ride might help too.

Advertisement