Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a can of diet coke.

Options
  • 20-11-2016 7:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I drink diet coke a lot. I know it's probably not good for you but anyway. Most shops it's a euro for a can. But some shops take the biscuit. Two shops on o connell street its 1.25 and 1.29. Noticed once the price is over a euro the shop in general is expensive. When deals are doing 24 for eight euro the mark up they must be making is hugh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I buy a lot of cans of coke also but I never tend to buy them singular as much anymore as they range wildly everywhere you go, I've seen some as high as 1.29 in Dublin and yet in the same shop you can get a 6 pack for 3.60....

The likes of apple green garages seem to charge 1.05 up to 1.20 depending on location...

No one is force's you to buy the coke at the high price OP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Not sure how it's a consumer issue apart from the fact that you have the choice wether to buy or not from those shops. Do you shop around for cheaper insurance? It's the exact same...shop around for your diet coke and you'll learn that there are places to avoid. There are multiple supermarkets beside O'Connell St that will probably sell 6 for 3 euro and that makes the shops you normally buy in look like complete rip offs. Rent is very high on O'Connell St and that is probably the reason the price is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Who's Hugh?

Hugh Jmarkup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

This is hardly a consumer issue? If anything rip of Ireland is the better place for it. But I wouldn't think much of it, bottles and cans vary from store to store. Supervalu charge about 1.50 for a bottle of coke but dunnes only charge 1.30... I buy my coke there. Smaller shops in particular make less money day to day so they mark up prices a bit. It's common practice OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Free market

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Hi I'm Hugh Jass.

Anyway try keeping an eye on tge likes of Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl and sometimes Spar for special offers on multi-packs. Sometimes only 6 packs other times 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could everyone here please grow up.

Retailers in high traffic, particularly tourist areas will charge insane amounts knowing that impulse purchases and a lack of local knowledge will prevail. I remember seeing €3 500ml bottles of Coke in vending machines in Paris in 2002.

Another factor is that multi-packs of cans have become a price point marketing war for retailers recently. These were never as cheap as they are now - you will rarely be paying more than 50c a can for at least one pack size these days. 2L bottles were the price point they competed on in the past but I suspect that healthier portion sizes etc have made an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

before the introduction of the euro a 500ml bottle of Coke cost 65p. nowadays the same costs roughly 1.70e

How much were the supercan's back in the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 wolfcupboard

I'm the same with pepsi max. I love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

KC161 wrote: »
    before the introduction of the euro a 500ml bottle of Coke cost 65p. nowadays the same costs roughly 1.70e

In the early 90s I think they were 50p? Regular can was around 35p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

There are at least 10 Dealz/Euro2 shops within a couple of minutes walk of O'Connell St. €1.50 for 3 cans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

People who point out spelling mistakes are just so annoying. If i post something on a forum i don't re-read it or spell check it. I just posted this as an observation nothing else. I buy the multi packs. No shock that the two dearest places i have seen are in o'connell street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

I drink diet coke a lot. I know it's probably not good for you but anyway. Most shops it's a euro for a can. But some shops take the biscuit. Two shops on o connell street its 1.25 and 1.29. Noticed once the price is over a euro the shop in general is expensive. When deals are doing 24 for eight euro the mark up they must be making is huge.

General convenience store price is €1.10 and has been for a couple of years.

I'd expect a higher price in prime locations such as O'Connell st - same in London and new York etc.

Margin not huge - coke/Pepsi have different pricing levels depending on the package

In Musgraves a 4x6pack flashed €3 each sells at 7.79+vat - about 50c gross profit per 6 pack. All cans are marked "part of multi-pack"

A 24 can slab with no multi-pack markings sells at €10.79 + vat. At €1.10, that's a gross profit of 45c net of vat.

Not huge considering the costs of chilling, display space, rent, rates, staff etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Edups wrote: »
    This is hardly a consumer issue? If anything rip of Ireland is the better place for it.
    Nothing particular to Ireland, you see similar or worse in other countries.
    L1011 wrote: »
    I remember seeing €3 500ml bottles of Coke in vending machines in Paris in 2002.
    My jaw dropped in charles de gaul airport. I refused to buy stuff even though it would have been on expenses and not my own money.
    I remember unchilled cans of lilt being 33p or 35p in the 80s in dunnes. Probably 50 or 55p in newsagents at that time.

I found these old papers before when people were moaning about the price of quality street tins, or how small they were, as though big huge tins were a fiver years ago.

http://snap.waterfordcoco.ie/collections/enewspapers/dungarvan_leader/1992/Dungarvan_Leader_12_Dec_11.pdf

This shows in 11 dec 1992 spar were highlighting the price of 2L of coke or 7up for £1.09, which is €1.38.

Spar minerals are 49p. Tesco own brand 2L soft drinks are 55cent these days, and I know at least 2 are pretty good IMO.

Cans of beer were 99p which can be got for €1 these days.

before the introduction of the euro a 500ml bottle of Coke cost 65p.
    I would be certain you could have found dearer if you tried back then, and cheaper now if you tried.

This is from 2002, soon enough after euro introduction
    Gerry wrote: »
    I think spar would be a prime candidate for a boycott, their prices make me sick. For example: A bottle of coke costs €1.25 in Spar, but only €1.00 in Costcutters.

Charged 4.50 for a 500ml bottle in Rome. Street vendor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

rubadub wrote: »
    Nothing particular to Ireland, you see similar or worse in other countries./quote]

Yeah... but this is Ireland.

Retailers in high traffic, particularly tourist areas will charge insane amounts knowing that impulse purchases and a lack of local knowledge will prevail. I remember seeing €3 500ml bottles of Coke in vending machines in Paris in 2002.

Another factor is that multi-packs of cans have become a price point marketing war for retailers recently. These were never as cheap as they are now - you will rarely be paying more than 50c a can for at least one pack size these days. 2L bottles were the price point they competed on in the past but I suspect that healthier portion sizes etc have made an impact.

Tesco have 18 cans of diet coke for 6 euros. Thats 33.3c a can.

OP, get thee to Tesco.

Edups2.0 wrote: »
    Yeah... but this is Ireland.

Yeah, and from the charter of the rip off Ireland forum you suggested it belonged in.
    LFCFan wrote: »
    What this forum is for is to discuss when consumers have been ripped off because of high prices. Ripoff Ireland forum was started to discuss the rediculously hihg prices of goods and services in Ireland compared to our European neighbours and mainly came about because of our change to Euro and the fact it was easier to see the price differences.
    If the Paris poster, myself and the Rome poster said they were 50cent you might have a point.

This is Ireland, and its seemingly relatively cheap here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Could everyone here please grow up.

christ!

Galway K9 wrote: »
    christ!

This isn't After Hours.

There was a significant amount of even more inane posting deleted, but the warning still stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dalaman airport, turkey, can of coke, 16 lira, which is just over €5. You could have fed yourself for that money outside the airport.

Even in Tesco coke is just off a euro, its quite an annoyance. Was in the UK recently, I either opted for 8 cans of coke in asda for £2.50 or 15 cans of Pepsi in poundland for £4.

Actually got 18 cans of coke for €6 in tesco a few days ago, 33c per can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

don't think airports are a fair comparison, with those you don't really have the option of going elsewhere like you would in a city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Actually got 18 cans of coke for €6 in tesco a few days ago, 33c per can.

For all you budding coca cola addicts, the offer still stands, got some delivered today... :)

Trying to get off the stuff. Its addictive imo. Diet Coke is the only stuff i drink but i can't see that being good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

Trying to get off the stuff. Its addictive imo. Diet Coke is the only stuff i drink but i can't see that being good for you.

Diet coke is worse because the sweeteners are artifical

don't think airports are a fair comparison, with those you don't really have the option of going elsewhere like you would in a city centre.
    Dublin airport is nowhere near as expensive as the ones mentioned, and the city centre "vendor" prices are nowhere near the price mentioned. So it should be brought up, especially if you have a poster saying this thread belongs in rip off ireland.
    Edups2.0 wrote: »
    Diet coke is worse because the sweeteners are artifical
    I won't get into this tiresome crap about sweeteners vs sugar, but will say I know several people who hate regular coke and only drink diet coke, and are in no way concerned about their health be it about sugar or sweeteners -I guess this might be the case for that poster. Diet coke was made to replicate the flavour of "new coke" which was shortlived, it is quite a different taste, I hate the stuff, I would take any own brand cheapo diet stuff over it, while coke zero is trying to replicate the taste of regular coke.

This is why ads for coke zero go on about blind tastings with regular coke. Many wrongly think coca-cola had a big failure in replicating the taste of coke with diet coke.

• Advertisement

Yeah heard diet coke is the worst alright. Trying to drink more fizzy water and less diet coke.

Advertisement