Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50° temperature difference oven and thermometer

Options
  • 20-11-2016 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

im baking a cake at the moment but my oven is set at 160° but my stand alone thermometer says 210°..

Don't know which to trust. have burnt things in the oven before but not by much. Stand alone thermometer was in storage for a few months...would it lose its accuracy easy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A lot depends on what type of thermometer is it. But generally thermometers do not require recalibration.

Put your thermometer into boiling water and see if it reads 100C. If it doesn't then that points to the thermometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There are tests you can do putting sugar in little foil cases. Its usually to determine hot/cold spots in your oven.

this guide uses just 1.
    http://dish.allrecipes.com/how-to-test-your-oven-temperature-with-sugar/

You could have the thermometer in a very hot area where air is blowing in, but the bulk of the oven might be colder, just like the tip of a hairdryer would be hotter.

Digital thermometers can vary if batteries are old.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

50 degrees is a lot. Mine is about 20 degrees hotter than indicated but that's probably down to it being over 20 years old at this stage.

Advertisement