Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Australia Post Qualification

• 20-11-2016 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Passed my FAEs just gone and will be finished up with my contract this time next year. I was looking at past threads but there's no recent ones so thought I'd start a new one.

Has anyone on here done it? Want to move to Sydney for at least a year but am open to staying longer if I'm honest.

Does anyone know what the current job situation is like? I'd prefer to get out of audit but would be willing to stay in it if it was the only job available. I'm also in the Big 4 so I may try and request a permanent transfer which would definitely make everything a lot easier.

Anyone got any experience they can share?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Been in Sydney for 5 years and arrived about 18 months after finishing my training contract. Irish accountants are well thought of over here and you should pick up work easily enough. The main drawback is the visa. If you come over on a working holiday visa, you can stay for a year and upto 6 months with the same employer. The year can be extended to 2 if you do regional work.

Other options are if you can find an employer to sponsor you on a 457 visa or apply for a permanent resident visa, but this will take a bit more time and there are a number of hoops you have to go through, including getting your skills assessed by the Australian Institute (assuming you have qualified).

I ended up doing a stint on each visa - Working holiday -> 457 -> PR and will be applying for citizenship soon. As an accountant, Australia is a great choice if you are looking for work. The initial stage can be frustrating but once you find a job and get settled, it can be a great place to live and progress with your career. I came from a small firm back home ane now am in a good job managing a finance team in a large organisation.

Best of luck with it if you decide to make the leap

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Thanks for the reply Legend! I'm hoping work will get me a transfer or I can get over as part of one of the international recruitment companies that are all over LinkedIn, to get out of the hardest stage.

Did you do the whole working on a farm because of the Working Holiday Visa requirements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

I didn't need to do the farming as got sponsored with the company I was working with on my WHV so it worked out well.

But on the flip side one of my friends who is also an accountant did the farming to get his second year and said it was great trying something different for a change of scene from an office.

Advertisement