Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying & reselling for a profit. What's the catch?

Options
  • 20-11-2016 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

A certain product is very cheap to buy overseas but you can sell it at a high markup here. I'm thinking about importing this product in bulk and selling it for a profit. Customer service should be minimal, I'm pretty sure I won't need to deal with any customer queries or complaints after purchase is made.

This seems very easy, which is why I came here. It's too easy. Is there a catch? Basically I just need to know what to look out for while buying and selling online and trying to make a profit. (By the way I've been wheeling and dealing online for years, just not for profit)

Also, these products are not from outside the EU.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Is the market big enough to to bother? It's possible you're the first to come across it but it's more likely that's its just not as possible as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You'll need to consider import duties & VAT, plus the cost of shipping. Will there still be as high a margin after they are factored in?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SixSixSix

dudara wrote: »
    You'll need to consider import duties & VAT, .... Will there still be as high a margin after they are factored in?
    Also, these products are not from outside the EU.

Within EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

SixSixSix wrote: »
    Within EU?

Sometimes you do come across sellers positing as EU based and then get stung when it actually comes from China so wouldn't rule it out if the margins seem to good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

jimmii wrote: »
    Sometimes you do come across sellers positing as EU based and then get stung when it actually comes from China so wouldn't rule it out if the margins seem to good to be true.

Easy test, Ask them for their EU VAT number!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

SixSixSix wrote: »
    Within EU?

Apologies, for some reason I read that the other way. However, it's still worth checking that the goods are coming from within the EU.

Depending on your turnover, you may also need to register for VAT. If you buy as a consumer you will be charged VAT, but you can use the reverse charge mechanism if registered.

A lot depends on the expected values.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Do you have any kind of marketing plan? Marketing costs are a substantial chunk of any online sales budget and unless you introduce the customer to your product you won't sell anything. Is your market easily targeted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

The most obvious problem of this to me is that there is very likely an exclusivity deal in place for Irish distribution already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Bandara wrote: »
    The most obvious problem of this to me is that there is very likely an exclusivity deal in place for Irish distribution already ?

No problem with "grey" import of goods sourced within the EU. It you can source the product and have it landed here at a very attractive price that yields a juicy margin, just do it. This is all about backing your own judgement and taking whatever risk is involved, if you are wrong, you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

I'm pretty sure I won't need to deal with any customer queries or complaints after purchase is made.

I'm pretty sure you will!

At a minimum you need to have a plan for customer service / returns. Even if you are not the type of person to return goods bought online, plenty of people will return goods and you need to have a plan in place that is legal and works from both your perspective and the customers.

You need to consider the following...
    Market size - can you sell to the UK? Is there an exclusive distributor there? (Ireland is a small market)
    Cost of goods / currency fluctuation?
    Cost of shipping goods to your location
    Cost of storing goods
    Cost of insuring your stock
    Cost of website build / hosting
    Cost of customer service - who will answer the phone when it rings?
    Cost of payment processing - PayPal / Stripe / Merchant account etc
    Cost of shipping to your customer - Most expect free shipping
    Cost of marketing your products / SEO
    Cost of returns

If you cover all of the above and can still sell at a healthy margin, you're sorted.

I would advise selling on ebay to begin with to prove a market exists before you spend on anything other than an initial small order from your supplier.

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

JMR wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you will!

At a minimum you need to have a plan for customer service / returns. Even if you are not the type of person to return goods bought online, plenty of people will return goods and you need to have a plan in place that is legal and works from both your perspective and the customers.

You need to consider the following...
    Market size - can you sell to the UK? Is there an exclusive distributor there? (Ireland is a small market)
    Cost of goods / currency fluctuation?
    Cost of shipping goods to your location
    Cost of storing goods
    Cost of insuring your stock
    Cost of website build / hosting
    Cost of customer service - who will answer the phone when it rings?
    Cost of payment processing - PayPal / Stripe / Merchant account etc
    Cost of shipping to your customer - Most expect free shipping
    Cost of marketing your products / SEO
    Cost of returns

If you cover all of the above and can still sell at a healthy margin, you're sorted.

I would advise selling on ebay to begin with to prove a market exists before you spend on anything other than an initial small order from your supplier.

Best of luck with it

Excellent advice.

Advertisement