Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Department of social protection

Options
  • 21-11-2016 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I'm new to this page but I heard it was great for advice.

I'm looking to get into a career in the department of social protection. I'm a qualified social care worker but looking for a change. I have looked online but there is very little I can see that points me in the direction of required qualifications or even job opportunities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Shauna

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What do you want to work as?

The vast majority of DSP staff are clerical workers, these jobs are advertised on publicjobs.ie. Panels come up for them occasionally. However your qualification may work against you, as often wanna-be social workers aren't so good at applying government benefit rules and saying "no" to situations that aren't covered.

Alternatively if you want to do finance, HR, IT, marketing etc - you'll need to get a qualification in whatever area applies, and then DSP would be one of your potential employers. I'm guessing you'd need to be located in Dublin for these jobs, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 s.keane25

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I really appreciate it.

Well I would like to be a community welfare office or something along those lines. If I'm being honest I don't think I would have an issue with saying "no" as I'm finding myself becoming more and more direct and "by the book" as time goes on. Iv spent most of my time trying to keep everyone happy and the reality is its just not possible. The past few years I have taken an objective view to situations and it has allowed me to become more productive and efficient with my time. I found its really the only way to get through the day and achieve certain work goals.

I think as well that's why I would like to work with the DSP. Iv see frontline but I think my personality is geared more towards the clerical side of things.

Is there anything else you would think I would require to have any chance of getting a position with the DSP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I've worked there and sat right beside the cwo. Your job is to get them in and out. No element of social work! Anyway keep an eye an public jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 s.keane25

amtc wrote: »
    I've worked there and sat right beside the cwo. Your job is to get them in and out. No element of social work! Anyway keep an eye an public jobs.

Thank you. I really appreciate the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

A lot, and I mean a lot, of piss, piss poor performers within the DSP. Appallingly bad. Time after time after time I personally had to do their job for them, I'd hate to see how a vulnerable person gets on on their own. Why would you want to work in a soul destroying place like that?

As it happens, I done some management consulting in the Southwest region, and it just got worse. And that's what really prompts me to help vulnerable people out. There are people in there that if you paid them any more than minimum wage they would be vastly overpaid, extremely toxic environment, they are very bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

myshirt wrote: »
    A lot, and I mean a lot, of piss, piss poor performers within the DSP. Appallingly bad. Time after time after time I personally had to do their job for them, I'd hate to see how a vulnerable person gets on on their own. Why would you want to work in a soul destroying place like that?

As it happens, I done some management consulting in the Southwest region, and it just got worse. And that's what really prompts me to help vulnerable people out. There are people in there that if you paid them any more than minimum wage they would be vastly overpaid, extremely toxic environment, they are very bad.

There not all bad. Look at the transfer list into LO across the country, literally 100's looking to get into rural offices so they can't be that toxic.

Advertisement