Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai in Moyglare Abbey

Options
  • 21-11-2016 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Does anyone know what happened in Moyglare abbey? Garda van parked up this morning at 6am and large section of path with Garda tape around it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Shocking to hear, I used to live in Moyglare hall up the road and my girlfriend always said she was warned in college not to walk up that road alone when its dark, thought she was just being told an urban legend type story but it sounds like a serious unprovoked attack occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

i lived in Moyglare for 20 odd years. Reared there.

I can safely say that nothing like this ever happened before.

Hopefully she will be ok.

Even apart from the lack of policing in the town this road needs to be properly lit up. Female students are scared to walk up it after dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1121/833247-maynooth-assault/

It's on the RTE website now. Sickening! Hopefully they are caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Sounds bad, seems like (from http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/teenage-girl-18-suffers-broken-jaw-nose-and-eye-sockets-in-serious-assault-outside-housing-estate-35232338.html) it was a serious attack (possibly on a student). How is the lighting on that road, as there are other areas around the town which can be quite dodgy in the evening?

Edit: ok, I see that the lights aren't good! (I think the college had some issues with the lack of lighting in certain areas a few years back, and adding more of it around the campus seemed to improve things a lot.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Thejournal.ie picture makes it look like it was in the entrance to estate which is reasonably lit. It's a busy estate with around 300 houses and a relatively busy main road with houses either side and a lot of people out power walking that time of evening. I passed by only an hour beforehand.

Horrifying attack by the sounds. Best wishes to the young woman.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

That stretch of the estate is poorly lit in my opinion. The lightening generally in the estate is fine but it is hampered by the trees which is being addressed by the residence association at the moment. I have never felt unsafe walking up Moyglare road and around Moyglare abbey in the dark (maybe I should have) but I can understand that young students would feel nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It also seems her laptop and phone were not taken so limiting the chance it was a robbery unless they were disturbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It does seem like a random attack by a lunatic, rather than general anti-social behaviour, which of course will be of cold comfort to the victim and her family.

It also seems her laptop and phone were not taken so limiting the chance it was a robbery unless they were disturbed.

An aggressive mugging that was resisted was the first thing I thought of. There have been a few in North Kildare lately (Kilcock, Clane, Prosperous etc). Random location where a woman was caught on her own for a brief moment.

ixus wrote: »
    Thejournal.ie picture makes it look like it was in the entrance to estate which is reasonably lit. It's a busy estate with around 300 houses and a relatively busy main road with houses either side and a lot of people out power walking that time of evening. I passed by only an hour beforehand.

Horrifying attack by the sounds. Best wishes to the young woman.

You see any street lights in that picture? The estate is lit up - the Moyglare Road isn't.

I really don't want to get into an argument. The pictures online indicate it is inside the entrance to the estate between the first two rows of houses. As mentioned by someone else, the lighting is on the opposite side of the road on that stretch.

Reports Gardai are examining cctv. I know at least one of the houses has it along there. Hopefully they get something.

No intent to have an argument either - I did word my post badly I'll admit :)

I agree - hopefully they catch whoever did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Orion wrote: »
    Even apart from the lack of policing in the town this road needs to be properly lit up. Female students are scared to walk up it after dark.
    Similar could be said for the canal walkway(s) by the train station. I lived in Maynooth nearly a decade ago and the situation is still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,878 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The canal lighting was vastly improved about 8 years ago. Irish Rail do not maintain their lights to any acceptable standard though.

The new LED lighting in some areas is making it obvious how poor it is elsewhere.

Advertisement