Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best "mini-pc"

Options
  • 21-11-2016 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Looking for advice on some hardware.

Being 2 months into my first real world project I wrongly took Java's tagline too literally and has me again looking for a mini-PC/embedded device to run on.

The Raspberry pi does not fully support JavaFX.

Does anyone have a recommendation on an x86 box similar in specs and price to the pi please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Not sure your definition of "best", but here's one of the cheaper ones

http://m.geekbuying.com/ItemDescription/361826

Temporarily out of stock, but @ $69.99
    Only 2gb of ram, but the Pi only has 1gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

CSU wrote: »

Being 2 months into my first real world project I wrongly took Java's tagline too literally and has me again looking for a mini-PC/embedded device to run on.

Does anyone have a recommendation on an x86 box similar in specs and price to the pi please?

Is this for development or some kind of production application? Do you need usb/inputs/hdmi etc or will it be headless?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

colm_c wrote: »
    Is this for development or some kind of production application? Do you need usb/inputs/hdmi etc or will it be headless?

Production app (my first) . . . I'll think twice in future about developing on a different architecture and making assumptions :)

The app makes use of hdmi output, USB, networking (pin out's like the pi has would be a plus as I have opportunity to grab physical environment variables on-site rather than relying on services.)

I see a lot on newegg but would like if someone has experience with a particular device before I commit to one (20 of).

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

CSU wrote: »

Two years ago I bought the Asus Chromebox (https://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M004U-ASUS-Desktop/dp/B00IT1WJZQ) for $170 or so when staying in the US. 1.4 GHz dual core Haswell CPU, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 16 GB SSD HDD. Very easily convertible into a normal PC with a real BIOS, and thus you can install Linux or Windows or anything else you might like.

I appreciate $170 looks like five times more than $35 for a PI. However, that Chromebox runs off 8W of power peak (and typically 1W-2W), comes with a case and PSU and storage built in, so you're really comparing $100 or so against $170 for like for like.

Your next question then becomes: is paying $100 for a vastly faster CPU, software that "just works" including the package repos, and a great deal of your time saved worth it?

As a veteran of many, many ARM boards since back before ARM existed I'll tell you straight out: yes it is. RaspPI is great and all, but as with all low cost boards you swap substantial amounts of time and effort for not much money saved.

Niall

Advertisement