Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money back from pension payments

• 21-11-2016 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. I've spent the last 10 years in the public service (garda) and left just over a month ago. I'm now in full time employment in the private sector. But someone mentioned to me that I may be entitled to a rebate from pension payments/deductions I've made over the last 10 years. Something along the lines of I was paying an avc for a few years and claimed some of it back.

I've rang citizens information, and while they were very good, they don't have any information really with regards to my query.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this? I've Googled but couldn't find anything. A small cash injection would be amazing right now, so if anyone could help or could point me in the right direction, or straight up say "no", I'd be much appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If you cash in your subscription, you will be subject to a charge. This is calculated to offset the tax you saved when actually contributing. There's lots of info on www.cspensions.gov.ie. You should also contact the Garda Superannuation Office. They have the actual say in how much you may get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There was a provision announced in the 2013 budget by which you could withdraw 30% of the money in an AVC less tax but it had a time limit of three years and expired last March, three years after the passing of the Finance Act 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hi all. I've spent the last 10 years in the public service (garda) and left just over a month ago. I'm now in full time employment in the private sector. But someone mentioned to me that I may be entitled to a rebate from pension payments/deductions I've made over the last 10 years. Something along the lines of I was paying an avc for a few years and claimed some of it back.

I've rang citizens information, and while they were very good, they don't have any information really with regards to my query.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this? I've Googled but couldn't find anything. A small cash injection would be amazing right now, so if anyone could help or could point me in the right direction, or straight up say "no", I'd be much appreciative. Thanks in advance.

If you work more than 2 years in the PS, and then leave, you can't get a refund of pension conts.

You get a preserved pension benefit.

coylemj wrote: »
    There was a provision announced in the 2013 budget by which you could withdraw 30% of the money in an AVC less tax but it had a time limit of three years and expired last March, three years after the passing of the Finance Act 2013.

Being able to encash an AVC is a different issue to getting a refund of pension contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Geuze wrote: »
    Being able to encash an AVC is a different issue to getting a refund of pension contributions.

You need to look beyond the thread title, the OP mentioned a possible refund of AVC contributions in the first post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sorry folks. Terrible Internet where I currently trying am. I already drew down the avc last year. That's grand. Sorted. Was just something someone said to me that I may get a refund of some sort. Thanks for all the replies!

Advertisement