Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulated phone cover.. any suggestions where to buy one..

Options
  • 21-11-2016 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

I was out Saturday and phone died due to the temperature...
    Just looking on great outdoors website but couldn't see anything.
    Any suggestions...thanks..:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭butterworth

Sandwich bag in the back pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

As suggest, sandwich bag in pocket. Cover in tinfoil if you don't want to carry it in your pocket I guess.

I'd be surprised if Irish winter temps caused your phone to die during a spin to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jive wrote: »
    As suggest, sandwich bag in pocket. Cover in tinfoil if you don't want to carry it in your pocket I guess.

I'd be surprised if Irish winter temps caused your phone to die during a spin to be honest.

It'll drastically reduce the effective capacity.

image026.jpg

Buy a few reusable hand warmers OP and slot them in under it. Trigger one early on and safe a second for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ED E wrote: »
    It'll drastically reduce the effective capacity.

image026.jpg

Buy a few reusable hand warmers OP and slot them in under it. Trigger one early on and safe a second for later.

But if the phone is in your pocket it wont get that cold. would it?

also, its another reason not to mount your phone on the handlebars. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It was between -3 and -5 yesterday, and my phone went from 95% to 75% in three hours, mounted on the handlebars....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I have had my phone (iphone 5S) out in -22 weather with no issues. I have an otterbox cover - the military grade one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Had the phone in my pocket full charge with an otter box cover...took it out and took a photo and it died...
    Saturday was -2.3 degrees and didn't get above 0...that was air temp and wind made it a lot cooler...
    Returned to plug the phone immediately it was at 57%...
    Had the same failures last year with the cold so Irish weather defo effects it...

I'd say the sambo bag will only waterproof it doubt it has any thermal efficiency. Thanks though. The tinfoil might be an option but I'm usually taking it in and out for photos.
    Might make something up out of some insulated stuff......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Your phone has other issues than battery life in the cold then... Is it weatherproof / waterproof?

Alek wrote: »
    Your phone has other issues than battery life in the cold then... Is it weatherproof / waterproof?

iPhone 6....just over a year old.
    Screen intact. ???
    2 punctures Saturday so no spare tubes if I had a 3rd and no SOS phone call..

Just thinking would memory near full be having a bearing on matters??
    Defo the same last year with the cold mind....scratching me noodle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Put it on "Stamina Mode" or equivalent in IOS.
    Extreme battery saver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wrap the phone tightly in clingfilm maybe? Forms a better seal than zip bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This doesn't make sense. We have a relatively mild climate and if the phone was in a pocket, it wouldn't be subject to the outside temperatures.Surely this would be a bigger problem in cold countries. Methinks it's a dud phone.
    ...2 punctures Saturday so no spare tubes if I had a 3rd and no SOS phone call...
    Patches and glue take up very little room. I'd usually take them in addition to the spare tubes in case of a 3rd or subsequent puncture.
    dahat wrote:
    Wrap the phone tightly in clingfilm maybe? Forms a better seal than zip bags.
    Not practical if using phone regularly for pics as the OP does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

iPhone 6....just over a year old.

..took it out and took a photo and it died...
    this article is 14 hours old.

Apple to Replace Faulty Batteries Free in iPhone 6s Devices
    Unexpected shutdown of some phones isn't a safety issue, company says
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-to-offer-free-replacements-of-batteries-for-iphone-6s-with-shutdown-problem-1479702323

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Had the phone in my pocket full charge with an otter box cover...took it out and took a photo and it died...
    Saturday was -2.3 degrees and didn't get above 0...that was air temp and wind made it a lot cooler...
    Returned to plug the phone immediately it was at 57%...
    Had the same failures last year with the cold so Irish weather defo effects it...

It had nothing to do with the weather/temperature. iPhones have known issues with battery's dying long before reaching 0%. Apple have only today/yesterday admitted there is a problem with 6S batteries on phones manufactured in Sept/Oct 2015 and will replace them free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

OP, I have an iPhone 6 as well and out on sunday in near 0 temps , in sandwich bag in the back pocket. Battery died uploading my ride data! The iPhone is basically a big heat sink so it works both ways. Im'm guessing long with the age of the battery it's something similar. Best try keep it warm and not use it as your primary computer in very cold temps.

diarmaidol wrote: »
    OP, I have an iPhone 6 as well and out on sunday in near 0 temps , in sandwich bag in the back pocket. Battery died uploading my ride data! The iPhone is basically a big heat sink so it works both ways. Im'm guessing long with the age of the battery it's something similar. Best try keep it warm and not use it as your primary computer in very cold temps.

I only use it for photos and emergency calls..

Must get onto apple and see what they are at...
    Thanks gents will revert with a response...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I was out Saturday and phone died due to the temperature...
    Just looking on great outdoors website but couldn't see anything.
    Any suggestions...thanks..:confused:

There is a known fault with the iPhone6 battery where it dies in cold temperatures. They're currently offering free battery replacements.

diarmaidol wrote: »

Free battery replacement scheme underway for iPhone6s batteries - the shutdown in cold temperatures is a known fault. https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/20/apple-repair-program-iphone-6s-unexpected-shutdowns/

Great stuff but trying to get onto apple.........aaahhhh

Great stuff but trying to get onto apple.........aaahhhh

Try your local phone shop or apple agent too, my OH has to get hers replaced too. It's a 5 working day turnaround apparently, and they weren't offering a replacement phone while hers was gone.

• Advertisement

Sound im waiting on a chat thingy here.
    Mate was saying they have a shop in Belfast for warranty issues??
    Based in Dublin??

Sound im waiting on a chat thingy here.
    Mate was saying they have a shop in Belfast for warranty issues??
    Based in Dublin??

Not sure about Belfast, but Dundrum is where my OH went about hers.

Advertisement