Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a deal on an Android tablet....

Options
  • 21-11-2016 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Something preferably 8inch or above, a known brand, and budget would be 120 euro tops, as we are looking to get 3.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I'm looking for similar but would need one that takes a sim card also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Try Amazon.co.uk. Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals may throw up something suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The LenovoTab 2 A10-70F was mentioned as being on sale in Tesco atm for €129

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Skerries wrote: »

There's a Lenovo tablet on sale in Lidl on Fri for 59.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

loup wrote: »
    There's a Lenovo tablet on sale in Lidl on Fri for 59.99

Cheers, seen it. We are ideally looking for something a little bigger.

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »

Any links to that? I didnt see it in the square tallaght.
    Would it be in the tesco mobile section of a store or the electrical goods section?

I didn't see it in my local Tesco either and I was looking yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Just bought this Archos 101E (10") with 32GB memory, Android 5, continental and Irish plugs supplied aswell as USB cable. I got it for 90€, currently on sale for 100€. The 8 and 16GB versions are available for less. Doesn't have a SIM slot, but does have GPS, wifi and bluetooth.

Just bought this Archos 101E (10") with 32GB memory, Android 5, continental and Irish plugs supplied aswell as USB cable. I got it for 90€, currently on sale for 100€. The 8 and 16GB versions are available for less. Doesn't have a SIM slot, but does have GPS, wifi and bluetooth.

That looks a great deal compared to what I've seen so far. What was p&p like? did you buy from that site? Trustworthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

There's a Lenovo yoga 3 tab in the amazon warehouse that works at £94 with today's 20% extra discount that I'm seriously considering myself. MrsTeal had the yoga tab 1 which we were very happy with (until she killed it!)

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    There's a Lenovo yoga 3 tab in the amazon warehouse that works at £94 with today's 20% extra discount that I'm seriously considering myself. MrsTeal had the yoga tab 1 which we were very happy with (until she killed it!)

Are they used items? No experience or knowledge of amazon warehouse myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

terrydel wrote: »
    Cheers, seen it. We are ideally looking for something a little bigger.

There's a 10 inch also for €99

That looks a great deal compared to what I've seen so far. What was p&p like? did you buy from that site? Trustworthy?

Completely trustworthy. I've been using them for a good few years. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to use their "depot" delivery where they send parcels to a local supermarket of my choice (for free :)) so I don't have to be at home to receive them. I ordered the tablet late on the 4th, picked it up at lunchtime on the 9th. I've never tried to get them to send anything elsewhere though.

If you keep a close eye on the site, you can get some really good deals (mostly "flash" sales) on high tech and accessories. You might be able to save enough to justify flying to Beauvais and picking them up from a drop-off point yourself! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Are they used items? No experience or knowledge of amazon warehouse myself.

Sometimes they might be a return, some others may have damaged box etc. It usually says in the description. My last purchase from there was an external USB 3 hard drive, it cost £23 (still half of what you'd spend a year later) and all that was wrong was a scuffed outer box.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Any links to that? I didnt see it in the square tallaght.
    Would it be in the tesco mobile section of a store or the electrical goods section?

I just saw it mentioned in the Tesco Deals

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101706480&postcount=127

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi,

Lenovo are fairy good - have purchased three in the recent past (build quality is good).
    The Tab 3 at £94 is very good value
    Currently in Argos at 189.99 for 8" & 199.99 for the 10"

The "French" site - has anyone experience of delivery to Ireland ?????

Sim ready Tablet - Hard to come by (unless through phone providers)
    Some dealers on adverts.ie who sell Chinese phones seem to stock them - check them out

Bravobabe wrote: »
    Hi,

Lenovo are fairy good - have purchased three in the recent past (build quality is good).

Some dealers on adverts.ie who sell Chinese phones seem to stock them - check them out

Thanks Bravo, I did see one in a shop in Limerick at the weekend. Samsung but it was quite small, not much bigger than the larger phones to be honest.

I think most of the Samsung ones take a sim, or am I wrong?

Hi,

Where is that tab 3 at 94?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

most of these tablets are running on 4.1 or 4.4

does that not make them a little out of date?

I'm looking for one myself, but wondering about this

Tab 3 - taking from a posting above (from "theteal")

didn't see a link - might have been a once off.

The Argos price is good value

• Advertisement

most of these tablets are running on 4.1 or 4.4

does that not make them a little out of date?

I'm looking for one myself, but wondering about this

I would agree with you - tablets with older versions will still work, but newer apps will be designed for recent "o.s."

the Lenovo 7" on Android 4 is €64 and the version with Android 5 is €74.

I take the view that these deceives are effectively 1-2 year max life span, then its time to update.
    With that in mind you are best to keep your budget to €100 (plus or minus €30 approx.).
    If your outlay is €100 and you get 12 months enjoyment/use out of it - its been good value.

pilly wrote: »
    Thanks Bravo, I did see one in a shop in Limerick at the weekend. Samsung but it was quite small, not much bigger than the larger phones to be honest.

I think most of the Samsung ones take a sim, or am I wrong?

No - I think you are correct - they are branded as Phablets

Tablets with 4G/3G sims don't seem to be common on the Irish market.
    See example ad
    (http://www.adverts.ie/tablet/brand-new-dual-sim-gps-10-1-full-hd-1280x800-2gb-ram-16gb-quad-core-phone-tablet-in-a-gift-box/9523266)

No - I think you are correct - they are branded as Phablets

Tablets with 4G/3G sims don't seem to be common on the Irish market.
    See example ad
    (http://www.adverts.ie/tablet/brand-new-dual-sim-gps-10-1-full-hd-1280x800-2gb-ram-16gb-quad-core-phone-tablet-in-a-gift-box/9523266)

That looks quite good doesn't it?

That looks quite good doesn't it?

In my honest opinion, not really.

In my honest opinion, not really.

Oh really, why?

Oh really, why?

Older version of android, no name brand, not sure who the seller is, poor camera.

Older version of android, no name brand, not sure who the seller is, poor camera.

Thanks, I'm not that well up on tech stuff. Although the camera wouldn't be that important to me. But you're right about the seller, maybe a bit dodgy.

I checked up on it the other day, and they only deliver internationally to Luxembourg and Belgium. You should still be able to arrange for an instore collection if you happen to be passing through, or know someone who can pick things up for you.

I'm old enough to remember when we used to shop for "luxury" goods - like cameras and electronics - here in Europe, where countries such as Austria were outside the EU and offered VAT-free sales. Apart from some people buying stuff on Amazon.de and doing a booze-cruise to Cherbourg, it seems the Irish have forgotten that there are still savings to be made within the EU/Eurozone, with all the consumer's rights that you don't get with purchases from the US and China.

For info, if I'd sent the tablet I bought by standard post to Ireland, it would have cost 14€, or three for 21€.
    I wouldn't buy a tablet on the basis of its camera. :D Apart from the older version of android, the rest of the spec is the same as, or slightly better (more RAM, SIM card) and slightly worse (less HD, older OS) than, the device I bought which so far is doing everything that I ask of it. The only thing it hasn't been able to do is explain to me why some people pay more than 100€ for a tablet - they're really not that useful/ergonomic compared to a phone or a laptop (imo) :cool:

I checked up on it the other day, and they only deliver internationally to Luxembourg and Belgium. You should still be able to arrange for an instore collection if you happen to be passing through, or know someone who can pick things up for you.

I'm old enough to remember when we used to shop for "luxury" goods - like cameras and electronics - here in Europe, where countries such as Austria were outside the EU and offered VAT-free sales. Apart from some people buying stuff on Amazon.de and doing a booze-cruise to Cherbourg, it seems the Irish have forgotten that there are still savings to be made within the EU/Eurozone, with all the consumer's rights that you don't get with purchases from the US and China.

For info, if I'd sent the tablet I bought by standard post to Ireland, it would have cost 14€, or three for 21€.

I wouldn't buy a tablet on the basis of its camera. :D Apart from the older version of android, the rest of the spec is the same as, or slightly better (more RAM, SIM card) and slightly worse (less HD, older OS) than, the device I bought which so far is doing everything that I ask of it. The only thing it hasn't been able to do is explain to me why some people pay more than 100€ for a tablet - they're really not that useful/ergonomic compared to a phone or a laptop (imo) :cool:

Agree there, 100-150 absolute tops imho, dunno why people spend more on these things and phones.
    I got a great xiaomi phone, amazing spec for 170 recently. Apart from image and materialism, why on earth would someone pay multiples of that for an iphone?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement