Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual check of gas fuel appliances

Options
  • 21-11-2016 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Folks, just trying to figure out if I need to have my gas boiler and gas fire checked every year. Is this a law requirement or not?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I would definitely say it's a safety requirement.

Other than that -

Landlords have a responsibility under Statutory Instrument SI.534 of 2008 Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 to ensure that the gas installation in the house or apartment shall be maintained in good repair and safe working order. The Technical Guidance Document in relation to this Regulation states that a current Declaration of Conformance certificate for an IS.813 Annex E inspection issued by a Registered Gas Installer for the gas installation in the house or apartment will prove compliance with the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Every 2 or 3 years will do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Think you are supposed to service the boiler every 2 years ,for safety reasons , whether its the law i don,t know.
    There may be a law re landlords renting out a house or apartment , re all gas appliance must be checked every
    year to check they are safe,
    eg they are not emitting dangerous fumes which can be lethal.

Every year is over kill, every second or third year should be fine.

I remember in the last place I rented the boiler got its first service in 10 years when I asked for it. To be honest it was running fine as far as I know and only needed a normal service.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

Every year is over kill, every second or third year should be fine.

I remember in the last place I rented the boiler got its first service in 10 years when I asked for it. To be honest it was running fine as far as I know and only needed a normal service.

I am asking because there are some countries (for example the one I come from) where gas boilers need to be checked annually by law, to keep under control the emissions.

I have serviced my gas boiler last year, so will do in 1 or 2 years time then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Paulw wrote: »
    I would definitely say it's a safety requirement.

Other than that -

Landlords have a responsibility under Statutory Instrument SI.534 of 2008 Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 to ensure that the gas installation in the house or apartment shall be maintained in good repair and safe working order. The Technical Guidance Document in relation to this Regulation states that a current Declaration of Conformance certificate for an IS.813 Annex E inspection issued by a Registered Gas Installer for the gas installation in the house or apartment will prove compliance with the regulations.

Agree a boiler service every year is overkill but I believe quoted above it is a "requirement", for the boiler to be serviced the sad fact is it probably wouldn't become an issue unless something goes horribly wrong(ie. carbon monoxide poisoning).

I think the experts say service once every 2 years ,landlords will get a tax credit for this ,so in that case they may choose to service it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

My experience is that regular service (at least two yearly) is essential, otherwise they stop working.
    Sod's law would dictate that it will fail on Christmas eve or something like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I service mine every year tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kceire wrote: »
    I service mine every year tbh

Is it one of the cheap 45 minutes or less service ? Pop over to the plumbing forum and you'll realise that those services are worth jack 5h1t. A service should take 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

cml387 wrote: »
    My experience is that regular service (at least two yearly) is essential, otherwise they stop working.
    Sod's law would dictate that it will fail on Christmas eve or something like that.

Seems uneccesary twice a year

He means get boiler serviced every second year,
    twice a year is not needed .a
    service means the boiler is cleaned and checked thats its working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Just ensure you have a carbon monoxide alarm in room with said appliances

Advertisement