Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewpoint/Military Road/Sally Gap/Laragh....

Options
  • 21-11-2016 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Hoping to do this route at some stage this week, preferably Wednesday, and home via the Wicklow Gap. would it be a no go now on account of the weather?

What about over the Wicklow Gap down into Laragh and then home the opposite way?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

AA says Wicklow Gap is very icy so probably not the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Sally Gap given as impassable at the moment - there's snow on the mountains. They were giving the Wicklow Gap as dodgy this morning too (my untreated drive near Roundwood was pretty much all black ice!).

Not sure it's due to improve too much until later in the week - those at home are on snow watch today, I'd say more is nailed on at that height.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I'd be a bit nervous going up there at the moment. Mountain rescue were advising people to avoid yesterday due to an impassible road. Even when the road is passible I'd say it will be dodgy for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Sally Gap given as impassable at the moment - there's snow on the mountains. They were giving the Wicklow Gap as dodgy this morning too (my untreated drive near Roundwood was pretty much all black ice!).

Not sure it's due to improve too much until later in the week - those at home are on snow watch today, I'd say more is nailed on at that height.

Might have to take the motorbike instead :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It's impassable to cars and 4x4 without snow chains at the moment and it might be just impassable with chains after a dumping of snow later. DWMRT have pictures and updates online. You might get through with snow/ice tyres on a Cross bike but be prepared to hike out if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Dublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team will be loving this kinda patter........
    NOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You might get through with snow/ice tyres on a Cross bike

Challenge accepted :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Alek wrote: »
    Challenge accepted :)

Was up there in the snow on studded tyres a few times over the last couple of years. Worth remembering that descending can be trickier than climbing, and that you may have to back track. As such, my advice would be don't climb anything you wouldn't be entirely happy descending. I'd also suggest either flat pedals or recessed cleats that are easy to walk in, along with decent winter gear and good lights. I found the dirt road before L.Bray to be great craic in the snow and ice. Climb by L.Bray can get very icy, with thick enough ice, so I'd tend to avoid it unless you're 100% sure you could get back down it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

smacl wrote: »
    I found the dirt road before L.Bray to be great craic in the snow and ice. Climb by L.Bray can get very icy, with thick enough ice, so I'd tend to avoid it unless you're 100% sure you could get back down it ok.

Is there a route up to Kippure via that road or does it just dead end?

• Advertisement

Been there last year in a nearly total ice glaze. Most descending done with one foot unclipped and brakes on. Also - thermal foil in the back pocket and down jacket on the bike in case I was forced to walk or got immobilized.

Is there a route up to Kippure via that road

There is if you're on a fat bike or fancy walking up for an hour ;) Been there done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

@Alek is a former Sissi and will be grand up there.

ford2600 wrote: »
    @Alek is a former Sissi and will be grand up there.

Had to wiki this one but I like it :)

Unless you meant that one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

meant to snow on high ground (above 200m) tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek wrote: »
    Had to wiki this one but I like it :)

Unless you meant that one. :pac:
    ....or possibly this one. :D

I have to admit I was a little limp-wristed after Sunday's frozen offroad ride.

:p

Thanks for the replies, purpose of the post was to make as informed a decision as possible as to whether to head up there. Based on what you've all said and the weather reports I've looked at, I will be giving it a miss.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

terrydel wrote: »
    Hoping to do this route at some stage this week, preferably Wednesday, and home via the Wicklow Gap. would it be a no go now on account of the weather?

What about over the Wicklow Gap down into Laragh and then home the opposite way?
    Our of curiosity ... do you work nights or half days :)

Sound decision to leave it until weather improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks for the replies, purpose of the post was to make as informed a decision as possible as to whether to head up there. Based on what you've all said and the weather reports I've looked at, I will be giving it a miss.

2q84x3q.jpg

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Our of curiosity ... do you work nights or half days :)

Sound decision to leave it until weather improves.

Funny you should ask! Got let go Thursday last week from a 9-5, with immediate effect. Still coming to terms with it to be honest, but thats a nother story.
    So looking to get out on the bike to clear the head and for some thinking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Funny you should ask! Got let go Thursday last week from a 9-5, with immediate effect. Still coming to terms with it to be honest, but thats a nother story.
    So looking to get out on the bike to clear the head and for some thinking time.

Sorry to hear , best of luck with sourcing a new job, hopefully it won't be long.

Lumen wrote: »
    2q84x3q.jpg

What about a motorbike with 120hp going thru the back wheel? :p

secman wrote: »
    Sorry to hear , best of luck with sourcing a new job, hopefully it won't be long.

Cheers, its a tough one as they basically said I wasnt good enough for them, they are entitled to that opinion of course even if I dont agree.
    I've never been overly confident in my abilities in my job, I'd doubt myself a lot, so this has really hit my confidence. But I'll take a bit of time and try clear the head before jumping back into anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Got let go Thursday last week from a 9-5, with immediate effect
    What about a motorbike with 120hp going thru the back wheel? :p

Well on the upside, you won't miss any work whilst you recover in hospital. And the food is free! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

smacl wrote: »
    As such, my advice would be don't climb anything you wouldn't be entirely happy descending.

Looks like someone already had fun descending...

15073369_10154524300770590_5341072312285899329_n.jpg?oh=266aa53700098e52e2e72e09f4551d74&oe=58C96D36

https://www.facebook.com/DWMRT/posts/10154524300895590

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

buffalo wrote: »
    Looks like someone already had fun descending...

15073369_10154524300770590_5341072312285899329_n.jpg?oh=266aa53700098e52e2e72e09f4551d74&oe=58C96D36

https://www.facebook.com/DWMRT/posts/10154524300895590

Someone on reddit has a similar photo:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/5e1cn6/sallys_gap_this_evening/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

So cross bike and studded snow tyres should do the trick, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I was gonna say that must have been a snowboard or a car with a broken steering rack till I spotted the matching thred marks in the ditch. That's a lot of sawing at the wheel must've been very slippery.

• Advertisement

So cross bike and studded snow tyres should do the trick, right?

And a bit of bike handling skills in case of a slip - although studded tyres will regain the grip quickly enough. But you'll surely be grand in this department.

Advertisement