Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewpoint/Military Road/Sally Gap/Laragh....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Planet X wrote: »
    Dublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team will be loving this kinda patter........
    NOT.
    i remember reading that in france, if you get yourself in trouble through wilful negligence, any rescue attempt made on your behalf is billed to you.
    that said, any rescue attempt which results in death of one of your rescuers there can see you charged with their manslaughter, if it can be shown you were wilfully negligent in getting yourself into trouble.

the above comes with the caveat that i read it in a kevin myers article in the irish times probably 20 years ago. so time elapsed and the source need to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Sh!t happens, even if you're properly prepared. I think the Mountain Rescue advice is aimed at the people who just decide, ill-prepared, on whim to "go and have a look at the snow" rather than make the mountains a complete no-go area. I know some of the lads, and some of the stories they can tell, would drive you nuts - I wouldn't have the mountain skills anyway, but I don't think I'd have the temperament either!

btw, was dark when I was leaving, so couldn't see higher up, but the snow line was definitely higher than 250m last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

All clear up to Featherbeds. Didn't have time to go further up this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Sh!t happens, even if you're properly prepared
    The obvious risk is getting injured, which is hardly difficult to imagine when cycling on ice. I know someone who broke their collarbone earlier in the year whilst mountain biking alone at Ballinastoe. His phone was smashed so he had to drag himself and his full susser down the mountain with the remaining working arm. This was in summer on a fairly compact set of trails with a manned hut at the bottom.

Lumen wrote: »
    The obvious risk is getting injured, which is hardly difficult to imagine when cycling on ice.
    But there's always a risk anyway, as your example shows. Anywhere that an ambulance can't wheel a trolley is a Mountain Rescue call out if you can't walk out.

I wouldn't go up there - I don't have the bike or the bike handling skills, or the mountain skills if I got into trouble. That's not to say there aren't people that do have the skills though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Sorry I started this thread now.
    It was purely about making an informed decision, absolutely no intention of being foolish and taking an unneccessary risk.
    As someone who had a fall on Ben Nevis last year while alone, resulting in a broken wrist and a badly sprained other wrist (could easily have been far, far worse), I know the dangers. That accident happened as a result of deciding NOT to cross the CMD Arete on Ben Nevis, which was covered in fog. So a sensible, safety-based decision ironically lead to an accident in some way.
    Having to then drive a motorcycle about 350 km to the port in Scotland in biblical weather, and 200 km or so down from Belfast (shipping the motorbike back would have been a huge hassle), 3 days after with no cast on my wrist, I know the implications of an accident so have no wish to invite that upon myself by taking stupid risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It's a good thread to have started.

It is about being able to make an informed decision. However many people don't have the skills to make an informed decision for these road conditions as they lack the training and can often under estimate the repercussions of a minor incident. If you have the equipment and skill set for the conditions go for it but be prepared to self extract.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

"The study was inspired by the case of McArthur Wheeler, a man who robbed two banks after covering his face with lemon juice in the mistaken belief that, because lemon juice is usable as invisible ink, it would prevent his face from being recorded on surveillance cameras."

ROFL. That dude should definitely not do winter cycling in the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Lumen wrote: »
    ...in the mistaken belief...

The eloquent, understated use of this phrase is just perfect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

buffalo wrote: »
    Looks like someone already had fun descending...

Met conditions like that approaching L.Bray from the Laragh side a couple of years ago and ended up going back to Laragh and home via Roundwood for an extra unplanned 40k. Change in road conditions was dramatic from pretty much perfect to heavy ice with a number of cars turning back. Photo doesn't really do it justice, but basically a thin layer of snow over compacted ice. Well beyond what I'd consider tackling, though not having the studs on didn't help much either.

402139.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Very thin layer of snow/frost in the morning on the Cruagh Wood forest trail on the higher bits. Any CX or MTB tyre could cope with it just fine. If Sally Gap is still snowed in the local trails should be grand now.

31039450042_8e42fb47e8_b.jpg
    31068498121_efe8ecb344_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Was over the gap last Saturday icey -2.3 degrees heading up lough Bray but switched to the far side of the road and got round not a bother apart from the two punctures...hands freezing to not working and feet like frosty the snowman......
    Coming from the Dublin border watch the forest on your left the trees kept the road in the shade and never thawed out plenty of black ice.
    Thermal cover for your phone or an inner pocket for sure.
    Emergency supplies...
    Dont be afraid to step off and push a little if its too bad.
    Presuming you have a Garmin keep an eye on temperature and YR/No for the forecast in the area.. I use Kippure radio mast as a pointer it will be 2 to 3 degrees lower up there... that will allow for wind chill as its only the ambient temp forecast...
    Wet and cold dont go together....
    Be prepared...oh and enjoy it..

I came up Cunard :) after Kilbride army camp and the back of the reservoir...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

got round not a bother apart from the two punctures...hands freezing to not working and feet like frosty the snowman......
    Coming from the Dublin border watch the trees and the bend to head for Glencree..Never thawed out.
    T
    Be prepared....

I'd call that a bit of bother! ;)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I'd call that a bit of bother! ;)

For a rookie maybe :D:D:p+

Oh and said phone stopped working in Brittas just after starting........to make things more interesting.
    Memorise your get out of jail lifts phone number or write several on paper to stop a passing motorist...if one passes...or stops for you.

Went up as far as the second viewing spot over Lough Bray, 5km from the Gap today.
    Was cold but roads grand to that point, thanks to the lad coming the other way who threw a warning it was a bit snowy tho.
    I reccied it in the car yesterday and it was worse, drove up with the madra for a walk and it was tough going after the Lough Bray viewpoint, so I turned round at the entrance for the kippure mast road. The dog loved it up there mind you!
    I headed back today and then over Ballinascorney.
    Feel like ****e now! The cold really gets into me sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Memorise your get out of jail lifts phone number or write several on paper to stop a passing motorist...if one passes...or stops for you.
    As well as a Road ID bracelet, I also keep NOK contact details on 2 small pieces of laminated card - one in the saddle bag and another in my cycling wallet.

terrydel wrote: »
    Went up as far as the second viewing spot over Lough Bray, 5km from the Gap today.
    Was cold but roads grand to that point, thanks to the lad coming the other way who threw a warning it was a bit snowy tho.
    I reccied it in the car yesterday and it was worse, drove up with the madra for a walk and it was tough going after the Lough Bray viewpoint, so I turned round at the entrance for the kippure mast road. The dog loved it up there mind you!
    I headed back today and then over Ballinascorney.
    Feel like ****e now! The cold really gets into me sometimes.

Fair play Terry...only seen the thread late today to pass on some info.

2 punctures again tonight and a broken pump to top it off....thanks for the lift Eoghan...

Fair play Terry...only seen the thread late today to pass on some info.

2 punctures again tonight and a broken pump to top it off....thanks for the lift Eoghan...

Jaysus thats shocking luck, must be an issue with the tyre or rim.
    I'd have cried today!

terrydel wrote: »
    Jaysus thats shocking luck, must be an issue with the tyre or rim.
    I'd have cried today!

Albeit hard I just have to put this last week behind me....
    The Smiths this charming man lyrics came to me this evening...
    "Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate, Will nature make a man of me yet!" :D

New tyre and wheel looks fine...ah well always tomorrow evening.

Albeit hard I just have to put this last week behind me....
    The Smiths this charming man lyrics came to me this evening...
    "Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate, Will nature make a man of me yet!" :D

New tyre and wheel looks fine...ah well always tomorrow evening.

Haham great song. Very apt lyrics there too :)
    Im trying to do the same, puttting a bad week behind me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Any idea what it's like up there now? I'm thinking of a trip up on Sunday if it's clear.

I went up there after a slight thaw in the snow two years ago. The roads were clear as far as Lough Bray. Even after there were only small patches of ice. Passable with care.The scenery was stunning with everything covered with snow.

Only regret was I didn't get a picture with the bike against the road closed sign. A thaw after a snow seems to be a good time to go up the gap as the roads will clear first leaving the snowy views.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

W.C.C. should setup Webcams around Wicklow mountains, like they do in the Alps.. Would be dead handy!

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Any idea what it's like up there now? I'm thinking of a trip up on Sunday if it's clear.

I plan to be up that way tomorrow so will report back...should be well clear..

From tonight's spin the roads are fairly greasy in the county council gritting zones.....gunny hill, some of kilmashogue, kellystown road....sit on the saddle you'll be grand but watch the descents

Puncture issue resolved..brake pad worn and start rubbing off the front tyre...only visible in broad daylight hence the amount.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I plan to be up that way tomorrow so will report back...should be well clear..

From tonight's spin the roads are fairly greasy in the county council gritting zones.....gunny hill, some of kilmashogue, kellystown road....sit on the saddle you'll be grand but watch the descents

Puncture issue resolved..brake pad worn and start rubbing off the front tyre...only visible in broad daylight hence the amount.....

I was contemplating kilmashouge today but I can imagine the wet leafs on the descent make it even more treacherous than usual.

I was contemplating kilmashouge today but I can imagine the wet leafs on the descent make it even more treacherous than usual.

Nah it was grand to be honest.
    Stick to the tyres of the cars lines rather than the middle of your side of the road. Take it easy and you'll stay upright

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I'd be giving this a wide berth until the temperatures go up a little. I went up sally gap from the kilbride side today at around 10am. It was mostly fine, to be fair, but a bit sketchy in parts. Sally Gap itself was clear. Lough Tay was completely treacherous (ended up walking a couple of hundred meters - freezing). Had planned on heading around to Laragh to take it again from that side, but didn't fancy more walking and/or a broken collarbone.

Sorry didn't get back on yesterday.
    No problems going over sally gap yesterday. Beautiful day out.
    1250m was over butter mountain, kilbride army camp, up cunard over the gap...
    Only found a slight bit of frost for less than 10 metres coming from the gap to cloughlea but nothing to be worried about.
    Was over dressed but it was chilly on the descents.
    Fell off the bike twice due to sticky bloody pedals taking a picture of "road impassable" sign! Karma I suppose. :D
    Had one of my novice winter cycling buddies with me and he loved it....
    He had some amount of kit on him when I met him. Said he was looking at the temperature from last weeks spin. :D

Roads officially passable according to DWMR on facebook this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭df

Was up the Sallygap today. All clear apart from one very short but potentially lethal stretch of ice about 1km from the gap along the road to Piergates. I was climbing towards Sallygap so it wasn't a problem but it could be very dodgy if I was coming down at speed. Just a trickle of water that had frozen but was about 1cm thick and only obvious due to the frost on it.

Advertisement