Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewpoint/Military Road/Sally Gap/Laragh....

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Looks great for tomorrow. Going to hit Laragh from Enniskerry side and back via Sally Gap > Rathfarnham. Missed the last 2 weekends so buzzing. 83k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm the same I think. Been mild all week and forecast is good so gonna shtick me head up the gaps tomorrow too. :)

Edit. Never thought to check the wind. Wonder if it'll be blustery up there...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'm the same I think. Been mild all week and forecast is good so gonna shtick me head up the gaps tomorrow too. :)

Edit. Never thought to check the wind. Wonder if it'll be blustery up there...

Wind is due to die down, but a bit colder than its been, so all good really. Thinking Rathfarham - Sallygap - Laragh Sallygap - Manor Kilbride - Rathfarnham myself. Very little cycling in the last month and still full of phlegm, so expecting to suffer some.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Where are we meeting then?
    :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Dundrum Bridge 9am. ? :)

• Advertisement

:) there'll be three of in IRC gear going the other way around. Brittas, big lake, Wicklow gap, Laragh and home via Glenmacnass and Sally gap to Kilbride. In my experience it's by far the most benign route home from Laragh with the prevailing winds invariably at your back. Give us the Boards "now ye're talkin'" secret wave / handshake if you spot us en route. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

:) there'll be three of in IRC gear going the other way around. Brittas, big lake, Wicklow gap, Laragh and home via Glenmacnass and Sally gap to Kilbride. In my experience it's by far the most benign route home from Laragh with the prevailing winds invariably at your back. Give us the Boards "now ye're talkin'" secret wave / handshake if you spot us en route. :)

Gimme going back over the Wicklow Gap from Laragh than that hoor of a drag after the waterfall any day!

terrydel wrote: »
    Gimme going back over the Wicklow Gap from Laragh than that hoor of a drag after the waterfall any day!

:) ah no way. We had another lovely tailwind this morning. Once you get over the waterfall hump and beyond that, sure the valleys can drag on endlessly if you're not in the form but I love that road now. Quiet. Majestic. And they've even resurfaced a lot of it lately. Nice fresh tarmac.

Was lovely to get up there this morning. You could've lit a candle in the top of the Wicklow gap. Not a puff of wind. Then coming over the featherbeds was very blustery.

Some amenity to have on our doorstep though.

:) ah no way. We had another lovely tailwind this morning. Once you get over the waterfall hump and beyond that, sure the valleys can drag on endlessly if you're not in the form but I love that road now. Quiet. Majestic. And they've even resurfaced a lot of it lately. Nice fresh tarmac.

Was lovely to get up there this morning. You could've lit a candle in the top of the Wicklow gap. Not a puff of wind. Then coming over the featherbeds was very blustery.

Some amenity to have on our doorstep though.

Ah its a lovely section to cycle alright, maybe Im just unlikely and always get a headwind and that tempers my view of it somewhat! But yeah, its great when its quiet, magical stuff. I love the Wicklow Gap from Laragh tho, its a rare long climb in this area and it suits me big time and its great for getting into a rhythm.

You are so right my friend, I'm always saying how blessed we are having all this on our doorstep. Its a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I hate the Featherbeds. Not on the way over the Dublin side but on the way back, I've always done about 80-100km, just climbed back up from Laragh and after the nice descent from Kippure my legs have just started to cool down and then the fcker gets me. I come around by that Christmas tree and it's like as if it's laughing at me and it keeps laughing until well after the Military Road sign.
    Someday I'll come round there on a shorter spin and hit it fresh but knowing my luck I'll probably get a roaring headwind.

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I hate the Featherbeds. Not on the way over the Dublin side but on the way back, I've always done about 80-100km, just climbed back up from Laragh and after the nice descent from Kippure my legs have just started to cool down and then the fcker gets me. I come around by that Christmas tree and it's like as if it's laughing at me and it keeps laughing until well after the Military Road sign.
    Someday I'll come round there on a shorter spin and hit it fresh but knowing my luck I'll probably get a roaring headwind.

Yeah, the 3 km or so after the turn for Enniskerry is a right hoor, especially the first drag after you turn left. The look on peoples faces there if you are coming the other way is always a picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I hate the Featherbeds.

+1 to that!

I was out on Friday and did a spin that took in Enniskerry, the long drag towards Roundwood, turned off for the Guinness lake (Lough Tay), ploughed on towards Sally Gap and then the decision came, continue up to the Featherbeds or turn for Enniskerry... I turned :D . BTW that 10km section at the turn for the Glencree road and Enniskerry is not great, extremely rough in parts, never remembered it being that bad?

1050m climbing over 60km, I was happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Someday I'll come round there on a shorter spin and hit it fresh but knowing my luck I'll probably get a roaring headwind.
    That section is soul destroying when into a strong headwind.

That section is soul destroying when into a strong headwind.

Took the motorbike over the gap into Laragh today, and back that way via Glenmacnass->Sally Gap->Featherbeds.
    That section was a little easier this time! There was a fecking garda checkpoint at the gap! I joked to him that he must have upset someone to get stuck there today! Sound fella tho, wasnt bothered that I didnt have my tax disc on me (never have it on the bike as scrotes tend to nick them) once I showed him my licence.
    I was fecking filthy by the time I got home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I was fecking filthy by the time I got home :)

I done 50 km around Lucan/Phoenix park today and I don't think my clothes have ever been so full of mud when I get back.

I done 50 km around Lucan/Phoenix park today and I don't think my clothes have ever been so full of mud when I get back.

The roads are a disgrace at the moment, I'm cleaning the bike after every spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

The roads are a disgrace at the moment, I'm cleaning the bike after every spin.

do you not do that anyway?

1bryan wrote: »

No. If the roads are in good nick its cimplete overkill imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

1bryan wrote: »

I use my bike 3 times a day from Monday to Friday. Who would have time to clean their bike after every spin?. I'm lucky to get it cleaned at the weekend

Whatcha ridin?

Sorry - that question is @Terrydel and his motorbike! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Very dangerous up there this morning so was surprised I met about 12 cyclists. Wasn't surprised to see one of those in Glencree with their tights shredded. My windscreen was frozen in Terenure so went up for a run instead

Whatcha ridin?

Sorry - that question is @Terrydel and his motorbike! :)

Hahaha, ktm 990 smt, 2013 model wirh orange frame. Pretty much my dream bike, went to serious lengths to get it, importing it from Germany. Love it.
    Got one yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Bicycles or gtfo lads!

;-)

Alek wrote: »
    Bicycles or gtfo lads!

;-)

Youre only jealous! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Just a bit. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Hahaha, ktm 990 smt, 2013 model wirh orange frame. Pretty much my dream bike, went to serious lengths to get it, importing it from Germany. Love it.
    Got one yourself?

Running Campag or Shimano drivetrain? :D

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Running Campag or Shimano drivetrain? :D

Haha, the chain alone probably outweighs an entire drive train and groupset.

Advertisement