Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telling potential new employer I'm trying for a family

Options
  • 21-11-2016 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Just looking for a few opinions.....I currently work for a large multi-national company but have been offered a position with a small (3 person) company. I get a good vibe from them and it probably is time for a job change. Myself and my hubby are trying (unsuccessfully so far) for a baby. The hubby also works for a small family run business which he's just been made a partner in and he says from his point of view if I took the new job and then ended up going off on maternity leave within 6-12mth it would be devastating to such a small businss. He thinks given they've already made me an offer I should be up front and tell them were trying at the moment. I think what's the point and nobody will really benefit cause legally he cant really retract the offer and he's also offered a 34 yr old married woman a job so im sure he would be aware that a family would be likely.
    I dont really feel like sharing my plans for a family with a person I dont really know at the moment and plus it may not even happen.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My thought is: Don't tell them, tell them once you are really expecting.
    Your personal family planning is nothing that your boss or company needs to know of, even if it is a small company.
    In the end you don't know how long it's going to take to conceive (of course I'm hoping the best for the both of you :) ) and if I'd employ a new member of the team I'd probably feel like that this person has already plans of leaving shortly.
    I'd just hold tight until you know for certain you have a bun on the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Absolutely do not tell them. Why are you openly allowing them to discriminate against you based on the fact that you are a woman?

Also, if they were to retract the offer based on this information, they would be opening wide a discrimination case.

If you are the best qualified person for a job, then you should get the job - just in the way that a man would get the job irrespective of his family situation. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it sounds like your husband is coming from a rather sexist employment point of view. Nobody should discriminate against you based on your gender, they have zero right to do that, and you shouldn't even be having to think like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Which employer will pay you mat leave?

Cash is needed when you have a baby! Just being practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

My current job gives me 6mths at 90% pay, the other job is probably 6 weeks at 90% and then statutory.

Advertisement