Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STEAM PODS

Options
  • 21-11-2016 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im thinking of investing in a steam pod for my daughter.

Are they better than the GHD and which one would you recommend. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Does she want it to just straighten or to style as well?

I think the GHDs are better for curls and waves but steam pod for straightening. I only own a GHD myself (9 years old at this stage)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Thanks for reply

Mostly it would be for straightening. Her hair is quite thick so was wondering would pod be better than GHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

The steampod is brilliant and because the plates are large it makes real quick work of thick long hair. I love it!

IrishPhoenix do you mind me asking which one do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Saw this earlier on. And just saw a minute ago taranakeup has up a discount code for both of these in her snapchat!! If you don't use it or follow her let me know and I can post it? Save ya a few quid if your gonna be getting one!!

• Advertisement

idunno78 wrote: »
    Saw this earlier on. And just saw a minute ago taranakeup has up a discount code for both of these in her snapchat!! If you don't use it or follow her let me know and I can post it? Save ya a few quid if your gonna be getting one!!

Could you post it for me please.

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Sorry was actually €25 and it's in Peter marks! Thought it said %! Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

I have both steam pod and GHD's and no longer use the GHD's. Both are damaging to the hair long term but the steam pod, i have found much better for my hair. i have mid length very dry hair and ive had less breakage since i started using the steam pod. i do look after it and buy the de-ionised water too as water in dublin is very hard. Strictly for straightening though. i find the plates too wide for styling.

idunno78 wrote: »
    Sorry was actually €25 and it's in Peter marks! Thought it said %! Sorry!

Ah no bother. Thanks anyway.

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    I have both steam pod and GHD's and no longer use the GHD's. Both are damaging to the hair long term but the steam pod, i have found much better for my hair. i have mid length very dry hair and ive had less breakage since i started using the steam pod. i do look after it and buy the de-ionised water too as water in dublin is very hard. Strictly for straightening though. i find the plates too wide for styling.

Thanks ChannelNo5.
    Think I will chance getting it. Havent heard too many bad reports about it.

Think GHD is very hard on her hair so hoping this will help

Thanks all for you help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Sorry OP. just saw your question now. I have the 2nd generation steampod - the white one. I got it from Peter Marks.

Sorry OP. just saw your question now. I have the 2nd generation steampod - the white one. I got it from Peter Marks.

Thanks IrishPhoenix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

To be honest I think it's a disaster of a product. Got one as a gift and tried it out today for the first time. First of all it's way too big and cumbersome compared to a standard straightener. The water pod is a joke, it has suction grips which allow you to fix it to a surface but the cable is so short I'm not sure what you are supposed to fix it to? Three times it toppled over, water spilling everywhere. Nearly gave up on the fourth attempt. After that you would hope it would do a good job straightening your hair but no. It just didn't straighten mine properly, was left with lots of frizz and static afterwards (despite using the two recommended serums/creams). I can't understand why it's getting such good reviews everywhere.

So it's going back in the box. If I spent money on it Id be raging. Back to my trusty ghd methinks.

Daisy78 wrote: »
    To be honest I think it's a disaster of a product. Got one as a gift and tried it out today for the first time. First of all it's way too big and cumbersome compared to a standard straightener. The water pod is a joke, it has suction grips which allow you to fix it to a surface but the cable is so short I'm not sure what you are supposed to fix it to? Three times it toppled over, water spilling everywhere. Nearly gave up on the fourth attempt. After that you would hope it would do a good job straightening your hair but no. It just didn't straighten mine properly, was left with lots of frizz and static afterwards (despite using the two recommended serums/creams). I can't understand why it's getting such good reviews everywhere.

So it's going back in the box. If I spent money on it Id be raging. Back to my trusty ghd methinks.

Ah stop Daisy78 :( I just bought one yesterday...

SAMTALK wrote: »

Samtalk don't panic.:D That's just one review. That's not been my experience at all. I suppose it can be fiddly in the beginning to get used to as its a bit more involved than the GHD but, and just my experience, its much better than the GHDs. sure you wont kmow if it suits you until you try it :)

Samtalk don't panic.:D That's just one review. That's not been my experience at all. I suppose it can be fiddly in the beginning to get used to as its a bit more involved than the GHD but, and just my experience, its much better than the GHDs. sure you wont kmow if it suits you until you try it :)

Thanks ChannellNo5.
    Its for my daughter so Id say she'll be quick enough to let me know what she thinks!!

SAMTALK wrote: »

Sorry, I was just being honest :( Maybe your daughter will love it.

I just didn't find it very user friendly, and kinda lost patience with it. Like I said it didn't really straighten my hair, this morning it was like I hadn't done anything with it at all. Now maybe I need to give it another go. I think it might be suitable for people with less hair than I have (and I have a lot to be fair) but on the basis of my first use I wouldn't recommend it, certainly not over a GHD anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Pippi Longstocking

I love mine!! I did find it took me a few goes to properly get the hang of it (my hair's long and thick) but I've honestly never got as many compliments. People usually ask if I've had my hair done! It leaves my hair really glossy which I didn't get with the ghd.

I just didn't find it very user friendly, and kinda lost patience with it. Like I said it didn't really straighten my hair, this morning it was like I hadn't done anything with it at all. Now maybe I need to give it another go. I think it might be suitable for people with less hair than I have (and I have a lot to be fair) but on the basis of my first use I wouldn't recommend it, certainly not over a GHD anyway.

Thanks Daisy. I suppose like everything not everybody will like the product.
    But hey I wont be using it so ill just keep telling her that her hair is fab:D

Daisy just been thinking about what you said and i wonder if your device is faulty maybe? I'm so puzzled because I've got thick very curly hair and the steam pod really does a great job. Are you setting it to the hottest setting? I'm so attached to mine you'd have to fight me to get it away from me!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I'm going to add another good review to this list....
    I've had a GHD for 15 years, when my first one broke I didn't even wait a day before replacing it. So was very confused as to why my mum had bought me a steampod last Christmas, wasn't in the market for another straughtener. Had pretty much thought I'd return it before opening it til I read a few online reviews and then decided to give it a go.

I love it, it feels like it glides over the hair much more and doesn't leave the hair quite as poker straight and flat.

I do agree that the water chamber is a bit of a pain because there's no proper seal on it, but if you have somewhere you use the straightener every day (ie don't have to pack it away after every use) then that doesn't make a big difference. It is quite big for traveling though so I usually just bring my GHD on any trips (and always feel like the GHD is ripping my hair when I use it now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I did not get on with the Steampod at all and passed it on to my sister who loves it! Things aren't going to work for everyone.... I absolutely love the instyler and it gets lots of bad reviews.

Fingers crossed that my daughter is one of those that loves the pod:)

Daisy just been thinking about what you said and i wonder if your device is faulty maybe? I'm so puzzled because I've got thick very curly hair and the steam pod really does a great job. Are you setting it to the hottest setting? I'm so attached to mine you'd have to fight me to get it away from me!! :p

I was thinking that as well, I set it to 210 degrees. I used there again tonight just to make sure and I still don't think it's great. It "straightens" your hair but doesn't give you the proper finish that a ghd does. My hair also has lots of static build up after using it too. It took two goes and my hair was no way near as sleek or glossy as it would be with a ghd. Maybe for some people it gives a good enough finish but I would expect totally straight sleek hair after using, which I don't seem to be able to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I find the Steampod brilliant and haven't even used my ghd since I started using it last year except for holidays as ghd is handier to pack.

I have thick shoulder length hair and use it with the steam pod cream and is the only tool that gives my highlighted hair a glossy finish with no flyaways.

It doesn't damage hair like straighteners and gone are all the broken bits of hair around my temple that I had for years using the ghd. I absolutely love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I find the Steampod brilliant and haven't even used my ghd since I started using it last year except for holidays as ghd is handier to pack.

I have thick shoulder length hair and use it with the steam pod cream and is the only tool that gives my highlighted hair a glossy finish with no flyaways.

It doesn't damage hair like straighteners and gone are all the broken bits of hair around my temple that I had for years using the god. I absolutely love it.

Advertisement