Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with 4K tv 16 months old

• 21-11-2016 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I have a major problem with my 16 month old LG 4k TV that I bought from power city online for a total of 1200 euros.

In the last month I have got a Xbox one s and a Ps4 pro the 4k consoles. Now the issue is the TV basically giveing me odd flashes, like a black fog on the screen, things not displaying on screen when turned on. Lines on the screen. Like a really dotted picture.

I have changed the HDmi to 3 different HDmi that support 4k all are brand new they came with the consoles in question. I also then tryed my MacBook pro retina that outputs to 4k I am getting the same issues as well as I was getting on the consoles with the cables as well. With the display not turning on but get sound ans so on.

Am I wrong to think the issue is with the HDmi on the TV need to be replaced? Or is a new TV could be due?.

As I won't to point out another issue on it I have had to change the TV stand eg the base of the TV twice as it keeps cracking in different points and after paying 1200 euros for a TV I expect it to display 4k with out issues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

If you are close to the powercity you bought it from then drop into them and bring some pictures of the lines on the TV screen. See what they say or just give thema buzz. I always found their phone customer service brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I contacted them Friday morning about it and they got back to me on Friday and said they would get back to me again over the issue but it should be today but i am going to wait and see.

Here is a photo of what it displays like and its like this on loads of HMDI cables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

when you say "lines on the screen" do you mean the moire pattern that is visible in your pic?

when you say "lines on the screen" do you mean the moire pattern that is visible in your pic?

That's one of the issues I have been haveing with it and the only one I have took a photo off.

The pattern happens a lot then the screen will keep flashing.

Then after maybe 30 secs it go's normal.

I have had ones where there Hass been lines on the display.

Any time I play video games the screen just flashes and gives a strange black fog on the screen. Like it fells it should not be there as it does not move when I am playing a game as the game is playing perfect behind this black fog. This is on both Xbox one s and Ps4 pro. At start I tought was one game doing it but has been quite a few different ones.

Give Pete a update on this. Dealing with power city for 4 days via email I have not got anywhere with them. They are blaming all my 4k consoles and laptop as the issue. Not the TV. They won't send someone out to repair it I have asked 3 times now. They said as out of warranty they don't need to.

So I have now asked for a refund or replacement as they have refused to give a repair eg to send someone to me.

I tought currys and pc world where bad this is another lv of bad service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Give Pete a update on this. Dealing with power city for 4 days via email I have not got anywhere with them. They are blaming all my 4k consoles and laptop as the issue. Not the TV. They won't send someone out to repair it I have asked 3 times now. They said as out of warranty they don't need to.

So I have now asked for a refund or replacement as they have refused to give a repair eg to send someone to me.

I tought currys and pc world where bad this is another lv of bad service.

Good request (to the store) on this is to ask them to if you bring the TV in they confirm it with their own 4K device that works on another TV and offer to bring in your devices and try them on a display model in store as a comparison. The assumption being that your devices will work on their 4K TV as expected and their device will fail on your TV. Point out to them that under Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act you certainly have more than 16 months of a guarantee on an item such as this. You don't have to take the step of demonstrating the issue of course, you can go straight to SCC.

Anyway, if they don't entertain that (and then accept the results if an error is produced with their device) then it's SCC.

I have provided them proof of the consoles and Mac working perfect on another 4K TV to them they are refusing to take it into account as proof as me testing the product as i live nearly 250km for the closeist power city store.

I have said to them countless times my rights and have spoke to there manager and he said to me see you in court to me as i wont take his option of sending the TV to them myself to see if it might get repaired. I asked to show it to the reaper man in person the issues and they said nope to it. We are going to test it and let you know if a issue with 4K on it. I said to them how can you tell you dont have a PS4 or xbox one S to test the issue i was told we have better ways then that and to stop my attitude i have with power city.

So disappointed that they will only repair if i ship it up to them myself and pay for it myself and cant give me a time frame on it.

I am buying any TV from amazon form now on as lest they blame them selfs and not the person who bought if there is a issue with the product !!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Isnt it a 2 years warranty in the EU?

Vicxas wrote: »
    Isnt it a 2 years warranty in the EU?

Sadly no its 1 year as the consumer rights in Ireland are stronger then the eu law as the Irish law gives more support.

Then you have retailers taken the piss like power city who don't care about them

Edit

Major update on this issue they have argued to sending out someone to my house to look at the TV after a 15 min phone call and a another email.....

In total 40 emails and 3 phone calls to get someone to look at the TV Facepam and I asked for that in the 1st email....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

whats the model number of the tv, Is it defo 4k?

• Advertisement

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    whats the model number of the tv, Is it defo 4k?

It's defo 4k haha. The big ultra HD sticker in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

And the fact it works in 4k when it won't to... Kind of. Shows its a 4k TV.

cool story ......

4k and UHD aren't the same thing though

cool story ......

4k and UHD aren't the same thing though

Then how can you explan why my TV outputs in 2160p ;) ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Then how can you explan why my TV outputs in 2160p ;) ?.

Format
    Resolution

Ultra-high-definition television
    3840 × 2160

Ultra-wide-television
    5120 × 2160

DCI 4K (native resolution)
    4096 × 2160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

erm....

whats the model number ....

Lg 49uf770v

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/lg-49uf770v-1311315/review

This review of it wasn't great working wonder if it's similar to your issues?

What display settings are you using on your ps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Id hold out doing anything until the next FW update :

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/14/13625920/ps4-pro-4k-tv-black-screen

Does your Xbox One S do same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fieldog wrote: »
    Id hold out doing anything until the next FW update :

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/14/13625920/ps4-pro-4k-tv-black-screen

Does your Xbox One S do same?

Wouldnt explain the XBox and the MBP.

OP, are you using a long cable? Like 5m? Try a 1, 1.5 if you are just to be sure.

ED E wrote: »
    Wouldnt explain the XBox and the MBP.

OP, are you using a long cable? Like 5m? Try a 1, 1.5 if you are just to be sure.

All of them are doing the same and there all short 1.5 it 2.0m cables I have a video I am going upload to give a idea of what happens

Issue of it happening with the PS4 PRO. The sound is coming from the TV. Then after the video the TV just random turns off.

Same happens on both xbox one S and Macbook Pro.

Same happens on both xbox one S and Macbook Pro.

HAS to be the TV!

Or some sort of handshake issue between the HDMI and the TV?

If its only 16 months old I would be bringing the whole TV and PS4 Pro to show them into Power City with me and ask them nicely to repair or replace.....

The TV was bought before the PS4 and Xbox id imagine. Is it newer then your MacBook?

The TV was bought before the PS4 and Xbox id imagine. Is it newer then your MacBook?

The MacBook Pro would be a year older then the TV.

I have had issues with HDMIs on it before on the PS4 and Xbox one. The older none 4K consoles sometimes sound would go and sometimes they wont come on the TV when i turn the consoles on.

They have agreed to come out to fix it in my house after basically 4 days of emails between them but they cant give me a time frame on it .... but i am going to give them 2 weeks from yesterday to come out otherwise i will send them a letter saying i am going to go to the small claims court.

They will bring an LG player with advertising material optimised for their tvs. this will play perfectly and then they will say its your devices. if I were you id have the MacBook plugged in, make sure you have selected an automatic resolution, when they arrive. they can argue that the tv is older then the hardware / software in the ps4 xbox so they couldn't guarantee it will work. That's if they're PC reps.

Id imagine if they've organised for an LG engineer / independent warranty repairest they will diagnose an issue right away and either be able to fix it there or at least tell you your options. either way if the tv isn't working when they leave make sure the diagnoses is on paper with a signature

I think it's independent warranty repaired who's coming out to see what's wrong.

Don't worry I will have all 3 of them next to me when it needs to be tested as going to show them everything that is wrong with the 4K and the HDmi.

They have Allready tryed to blame everything else and not the TV at this stage. Yap that's the plan I won't it in black and white once they see the issue.

More LG 4K issues in this other thread I found :

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057648187/1

• Advertisement

Still waiting for power city 2 days later to even tell me someone is coming down with a time and date to repair it extremely bad service that only stemmed to get worse ha

Advertisement