Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI billing me for a service they cannot provide

Options
  • 21-11-2016 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I was just in the BOI O'Connel St branch, I need to get access to my money - but your in-house technology is outdated and does not work.

Your machines are still reading magnetic stripes, instead of the Chip&Pin system. My magnetic stripe does not work, however my chip does, as does my contactless tech.

Considering you charge me for this card I would assume that BOI would have the technology to use it.

BOI also seem to have lost my account signature - so I cannot sign for my cash.

I need to withdraw money today - BOI charged me for a service they cannot provide - please advise on a resolution.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Hi,

I was just in the BOI O'Connel St branch, I need to get access to my money - but your in-house technology is outdated and does not work.

Your machines are still reading magnetic stripes, instead of the Chip&Pin system.  My magnetic stripe does not work, however my chip does, as does my contactless tech.

Considering you charge me for this card I would assume that BOI would have the technology to use it.  

BOI also seem to have lost my account signature - so I cannot sign for my cash.

I need to withdraw money today - BOI  charged me for a service they cannot provide - please advise on a resolution.
    Hi irishuser11,

Thank you for contacting us here on Board.ie.

If you’d like to send us a private message with your full name, the name of your branch that you opened the account and your contact number we will arrange a call back from your branch.

To send a message please see link in my signature below.

Thanks,

Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 23 irishuser11

Hi,

Thanks for the PM and the offer of a call from a branch,

I'm not sure I see the value in this as the 'gentleman' in the bank was very sure of the following:

1. BOI do not have the ability to read chip and pin in branch
    2. I would need photo id to workaround this shortcoming

Would you like to offer a refund on what BOI charged for this card?

and now you've banned me from your Twitter feed - nice PR strategy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Hi,

I'm not sure I see the value in this as the 'gentleman' in the bank was very sure of the following:

Suggestions:

1) Use an ATM. Chip and PIN, right?
    2) If you want to withdraw more than the ATM daily limit, bring your photo ID. Depending on the amount, you may be required to order it in advance. Their bank, their rules.
    3) While there, with proof of ID, ask them to put your signature 'on file'.
    4) Order a replacement card. Yours is defective so they will replace it free of charge.

I don't like banks. I don't like how consumer level customers are treated. That said, the cashier is right, so there's little point in trying to bitch about 'outdated technology' and refunds.

Finally, the charge you paid is a government levy, not a fee arbitrarily applied by the bank. If you want your card replaced, ask, then keep it away from strong magnetic fields in future.

It's frustrating, but you should be reasonable. They want to assist you and you have several ways to facilitate this.

Hi,

Suggestions:

1)  Use an ATM.  Chip and PIN, right?
    2)  If you want to withdraw more than the ATM daily limit, bring your photo ID.  Depending on the amount, you may be required to order it in advance.  Their bank, their rules.
    3)  While there, with proof of ID, ask them to put your signature 'on file'.
    4)  Order a replacement card.  Yours is defective so they will replace it free of charge.

I don't like banks.  I don't like how consumer level customers are treated.  That said, the cashier is right, so there's little point in trying to bitch about 'outdated technology' and refunds.

Finally, the charge you paid is a government levy, not a fee arbitrarily applied by the bank.  If you want your card replaced, ask, then keep it away from strong magnetic fields in future.

It's frustrating, but you should be reasonable.  They want to assist you and you have several ways to facilitate this.
    Thanks for your input, however it's largely misguided

>> There is a daily limit

2) If you want to withdraw more than the ATM daily limit, bring your photo ID. Depending on the amount, you may be required to order it in advance. Their bank, their rules.
    >> With Chip and Pin this is not required for the amount I requested

>> I'm afraid there's a chicken and an egg situation here

4) Order a replacement card. Yours is defective so they will replace it free of charge.
    >> No they won't,  it was 8EUR last time

I don't like banks. I don't like how consumer level customers are treated. That said, the cashier is right, so there's little point in trying to bitch about 'outdated technology' and refunds.

>>  The cashier's advice, although contradicting a co-worker, may be in line with BOI's policy - this does not make it acceptable

Finally, the charge you paid is a government levy, not a fee arbitrarily applied by the bank. If you want your card replaced, ask, then keep it away from strong magnetic fields in future.

>> this is not true, I paid 8EUR for a replacement card

It's frustrating, but you should be reasonable. They want to assist you and you have several ways to facilitate this.

>> I have been very reasonable, even the time they mistakenly blacklisted me for 8 months with the consumer credit bureau, amongst many others.

If this was a free service, I would not be complaining. 

• Advertisement

Hi,

Suggestions:

1)  Use an ATM.  Chip and PIN, right?
    2)  If you want to withdraw more than the ATM daily limit, bring your photo ID.  Depending on the amount, you may be required to order it in advance.  Their bank, their rules.
    3)  While there, with proof of ID, ask them to put your signature 'on file'.
    4)  Order a replacement card.  Yours is defective so they will replace it free of charge.

I don't like banks.  I don't like how consumer level customers are treated.  That said, the cashier is right, so there's little point in trying to bitch about 'outdated technology' and refunds.

Finally, the charge you paid is a government levy, not a fee arbitrarily applied by the bank.  If you want your card replaced, ask, then keep it away from strong magnetic fields in future.

It's frustrating, but you should be reasonable.  They want to assist you and you have several ways to facilitate this.
    Thanks for your input, however it's largely misguided

>> There is a daily limit

>> With Chip and Pin this is not required for the amount I requested

>> I'm afraid there's a chicken and an egg situation here

>> No they won't,  it was 8EUR last time

>>  The cashier's advice, although contradicting a co-worker, may be in line with BOI's policy - this does not make it acceptable

>> this is not true, I paid 8EUR for a replacement card

>> I have been very reasonable, even the time they mistakenly blacklisted me for 8 months with the consumer credit bureau, amongst many others.

If this was a free service, I would not be complaining. 
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi irishuser11, [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you call BOI Direct on 0818365365 and advise the representative that your card is not fit for purpose a representative can arrange a new card to be sent to you. They may be able to waive the charge however they will need to look into this and advise you. [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you go to branch with photo ID you can update the signature we have on file for you.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Apologies we are unable to assist you further here on Boards.ie.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks, [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Tara C[/font]

Hi Tara, 

Thanks for getting back. 

Can you explain "not fit for purpose" - I've been used it multiple times today and it works fine with Chip & Pin machines as with the contactless option.

Hi Tara, 

Thanks for getting back. 

Can you explain "not fit for purpose" - I've been used it multiple times today and it works fine with Chip & Pin machines as with the contactless option.
    Hi Irishuser11,

Thanks for taking the time to come back to us here.

We’ll certainly pass your feedback on to Management within the O’Connell St. branch.

Thanks,

Tara C

Hi Tara, 

Thanks for getting back. 

Hi Irishuser11,

We’ll certainly pass your feedback on to Management within the O’Connell St. branch.

Thanks,

Tara C

Hi Tara, 

Thanks for getting back. 

Hi Irishuser11,

Thanks,

Tara C
    I didn't provide any feedback, I asked why BOI are using outdated & vulnerable  security technologies in branch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement