Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outdoor cat

• 21-11-2016 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭

Basically my wife and I are alergic to cats and would never choose to get one.

We bought a house a few months ago. It and the adjoining house had been rented up to say February. The adjoining house renters had a cat who they did not take with them for whatever reason, that house has been sold and the future family hope to bring their cat.

The existing cat likes to hang around our house and feeling sorry for him (or her) we have been feeding him and plan to bring him to the vet for injections and worming when hes comfortable enough to be picked up rubbed etc.

I believe he sleeps in a nearby hedge (rural area). Its very cold so I am a little concerned about him. Any recommendations for an outdoor cat house and if I bought one would he actually use it. Theres a shed at the end of the garden that I could put a cat flap in but couldnt keep an eye that he and not anything else is using it and its a large garden so getting him used to being fed their in this weather is unlikely, I never see him near it just our back door and window sills.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

If you google DIY feral cat shelter you'll get lots of instructions for making your own little kennel type shelter that won't cost much. The cat will probably use it once it's cold enough, but it might take a while for it to try it.

Good on you for not just ignoring the cat :D Too many people would just chase it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

any old doghouse stuffed full with straw will make a comfy nest until he/ she is happy to be petted. scums for leaving her behind..well done on helping her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hats off for looking after him when others could not care what happened to him, the bonus for you is he will keep vermin away from the house if there are any around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Thanks for the replies, as far as I know her previous owners came back looking for her several times but never saw her. We let mutual acquaintances know shes around quite often but havent heard back but they might have gone anywhere by now. To be fair hes handy to have around, we have a one and two year old who love looking through the window at him so he pays his own way.

I wouldn't spend too much on a house for him. When we got cats at home a few years back there was a lovely cat house bought for them but the only way to get them to sleep in it (or even go inside it) was to lock them inside which wasn't something we did very often as they weren't too happy about it. They preferred to sleep under the car, in the hedge or wander off up to one of the open farm sheds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I also want to echo how kind it is of you and your wife to help this little guy/gal :o
    If the ex-owners came looking for her, you'd have to think that she's a pet cat to some degree, which would make you hope that she'll be quicker to come around to you than your average feral cat. She might also be more inclined to use a kennel or similar, as she may be used to a similar set up, to some degree.
    Take the following in the knowledge that I am not all that familiar with the vagaries of cats :o For a cheap trial (we use this for broody hens here :o), perhaps buy a cheap plastic box with a lid. Turn it upside-down so that it sits on its lid. Cut a cat-sized hole into one side of it for access. Fill it with straw or bedding, and perhaps leave it near where you think she hangs out? Feed her nearby too maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yes, the upturned plastic storage crates with a lid are excellent. You need to have it raised up off the ground though - on cinder blocks, or a bench or somewhere sheltered. I just put lots of newspaper in them, and then put in lots of straw/hay - as that will keep much dryer and warmer than cloth bedding (and is easily changed if it does get wet)

I've found the easiest way to get through the plastic to make the doorway, is to use a cheap soldering iron which cuts through the plastic like butter. Don't do this and get melted plastic on your kitchen table though. Only an idiot would do that... *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

wouldnt the upturned plastage crate need to be weighted down a bit to prevent it from moving in high winds??

Yes, it would indeed be REALLY stupid to do something like getting melted plastic or glue on ones tabletop - or even burn marks or bad scratches etc etc :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

If the crate is sheltered, it will be ok. We have a couple on a box in our coal shed so they're accessible but protected. I say shed - it's a wooden thing with doors to keep the rain off the coal but there is one bit that is open, so the cat boxes are in there. Nice and cosy.

If it was completely open to the wind, then that probably wouldn't be sheltered enough for a cat box, I would think?

Advertisement