Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an app to force iPhone connection to WiFi hotspot quicker?

Options
  • 21-11-2016 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Have an iPhone 5s (I think), and looking for an app to force it to connect to hotspots quicker. Mainly the subway TCONNECT WiFi hotspots over here in Toronto. Currently, it takes so long, that the subway has nearly pulled out of the station by the time I connect. Thus far, searching for a solution has been futile, so wondering if anyone here would know of an app to allow it to connect quicker?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

the_syco wrote: »
    Hey,
    Have an iPhone 5s (I think), and looking for an app to force it to connect to hotspots quicker. Mainly the subway TCONNECT WiFi hotspots over here in Toronto. Currently, it takes so long, that the subway has nearly pulled out of the station by the time I connect. Thus far, searching for a solution has been futile, so wondering if anyone here would know of an app to allow it to connect quicker?

Doubtful, the OS controls that. And it's probably the network that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Doubtful, the OS controls that. And it's probably the network that's the problem.
    Aye. It doesn't see it and connect straight away; it takes a while. The android phone picks up the various hotspots up straight away, but need the iPhone to pick it up, as I'm using the iPhone for the Need for Speed game (android has my tunes).

The subway goes in, stops for 5-10 seconds, and departs.

The android will see the hotspot when I arrive into the station, auto connects, gets me facebook messages, email, etc.

The iPhone may see the hotspot. Used to connect automatically, a month or two ago, but now, no. Now I have to tap on the connection. But even then, sometimes it just says no, that it can't see it. It finally connects, and I may get the 5 seconds of data that the app needs to ring home, verify that I'm not cheating, and allows me to continue on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Not suitable for public hotspots unfortunitely - but I've found that if you can specify an IP address in the allowable range that you know to be unused it connects almost instantly.
    Its negotiating an IP that seems to take the most time with certain hotspots.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement