Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used car warranty (pickup included?)

• 21-11-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Can anyone tell me, if a garage is obligated to come and pick up a car that won't start to fix ir after only being purchased 2 months ago and still under warranty?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

JG86 wrote:
    Can anyone tell me, if a garage is obligated to come and pick up a car that won't start to fix ir after only being purchased 2 months ago and still under warranty?

New car or 2nd hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JG86

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    New car or 2nd hand?

Second hand. But came with 3 month warranty and has already had to have wiper motor "replaced" even though I don't think they replace it as it has stopped working again and now car won't start.

JG86 wrote:
    Second hand. But came with 3 month warranty and has already had to have wiper motor "replaced" even though I don't think they replace it as it has stopped working again and now car won't start.

If it was a new car I'd expect the garage to cover everything. A 2nd hand car I would expect to have to pay myself.
    With new car warranty they are guaranteeing that its not going to beak down. A 3 months warranty on a 2nd hand car is the garage saying if it breaks within 3 months we'll fix it. Imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unlikely I'd say but that is a guess of course.

Check your warranty papers.
    Does your insurance have breakdown assistance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very unlikely on a used car with a 3 month warranty but you need to check the details of your warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

If you're only a few miles from the garage and they have a truck I'd expect them to recover it.

If you live 2 hours away I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I suspect you can quote consumer law to that guy until the cows come home and it will get you nowhere. A dealer who is only prepared to give a 3 months warranty sounds like someone who is trading in dodgy clapped out bangers.

coylemj wrote:
    I suspect you can quote consumer law to that guy until the cows come home and it will get you nowhere. A dealer who is only prepared to give a 3 months warranty sounds like someone who is trading in dodgy clapped out bangers.

3 months warranty is standard on a 2nd hand car. How long would you expect?

Depends on the age of the car and what's covered. I'd expect 3 months on anything from 6 to 8 years old. I'd expect 6 months on anything from 5 to 6 years old and 12 months on anything from 3 to 4 years old. The warranty on anything older than 8 years old from a dealer won't be worth much anyway which is why I'd buy private at that age.

bazz26 wrote:
    Depends on the age of the car and what's covered. I'd expect 3 months on anything from 6 to 8 years old. I'd expect 6 months on anything from 5 to 6 years old and 12 months on anything from 3 to 4 years old. The warranty on anything older than 8 years old from a dealer won't be worth much anyway which is why I'd buy private at that age.

And how old is ops car?

• Advertisement

And how old is ops car?

We don't know.

There's no such thing as a 'standard' warranty but if I was buying from a dealer and therefore paying more than in a private sale, I would expect at least 6 months from an indie I trusted to give me a warranty worth the paper it was written on and 12 months in the case of a main dealer.

If you're prepared to accept a 3 months 'warranty' on what is probably a heap of junk, you might as well cut out the middleman, buy private and take your chances. With the money you save, you'd probably have enough to (e.g.) buy a new wiper motor if it fails.

bazz26 wrote:
    We don't know.

My point exactly

coylemj wrote:
    There's no such thing as a 'standard' warranty but if I was buying from a dealer and therefore paying more than in a private sale, I would expect at least 6 months from an indie I trusted to give me a warranty worth the paper it was written on and 12 months in the case of a main dealer.

coylemj wrote:
    If you're prepared to accept a 3 months 'warranty' on what is probably a heap of junk, you might as well cut out the middleman, buy private and take your chances. With the money you save, you'd probably have enough to (e.g.) buy a new wiper motor if it fails.

It depends on how old the car is. 3 months is in fact industry standard on old cars. The fact that op only has a 3 months warranty suggests its an older 2nd hand car. I'm betting there isn't even any small print on the warranty. Most likely a verbal warranty.. I bought a 10 year old micra for my daughter last year. The 3 months warranty is an advantage in that if there are any issues with it when you buy it they should show up within 3 months. Get the same car privately and someone could be trying to slip you a clap trap

And how old is ops car?

Six years old

Thanks for your help everyone. Got an abusive phone call yesterday from the Garage because I tried calling four times to see when they can fix it and they were avoiding my calls. He told me he was refusing to fix my car as it was "probably something I had done to cause it to not start, like let the petrol tank run dry" this isn't the case, it just won't start and I had done nothing to cause it. My partner rang him at 5pm and threatened legal action because of the abuse and the refusal to fix a car under warranty that he had sold unfit for purpose. Needless to say within an hour the car had been picked up and brought to the garage. Don't think il be dealing with this particular garage ever again.

It depends on how old the car is. 3 months is in fact industry standard on old cars. The fact that op only has a 3 months warranty suggests its an older 2nd hand car. I'm betting there isn't even any small print on the warranty. Most likely a verbal warranty.. I bought a 10 year old micra for my daughter last year. The 3 months warranty is an advantage in that if there are any issues with it when you buy it they should show up within 3 months. Get the same car privately and someone could be trying to slip you a clap trap

It's a six year old car. The warranty does not have small print, I have a written warranty and verbal "you won't need to lift the bonnet until next service" but I feel I may have been too gullible and trusting. My whole reason of buying it in a garage was to have security if anything went wrong, cost an extra 1500 buying from dealer rather than private and I thought this was a safer option. Regrettably not the case. I have learned my lesson and will be very careful in the future about where I buy. Although I hadn't found or heard any had reviews on this garage but I guess you just never know.

Stoolbend wrote: »
    If you're only a few miles from the garage and they have a truck I'd expect them to recover it.

If you live 2 hours away I wouldn't.

20 mins away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

JG86 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help everyone. Got an abusive phone call yesterday from the Garage because I tried calling four times to see when they can fix it and they were avoiding my calls. He told me he was refusing to fix my car as it was "probably something I had done to cause it to not start, like let the petrol tank run dry" this isn't the case, it just won't start and I had done nothing to cause it. My partner rang him at 5pm and threatened legal action because of the abuse and the refusal to fix a car under warranty that he had sold unfit for purpose. Needless to say within an hour the car had been picked up and brought to the garage. Don't think il be dealing with this particular garage ever again.

Jesus, that's a pure muck attitude from the dealer.

I wouldn't expect for the garage to toe the car. I know in the end he did. He sounds like a cowboy. Some people think all women will just cry and go away forever.
    I know that you can't name & shame him here but make sure that you tell all your friends & their friends

• Advertisement

I wouldn't expect for the garage to toe the car. I know in the end he did. He sounds like a cowboy. Some people think all women will just cry and go away forever.
    I know that you can't name & shame him here but make sure that you tell all your friends & their friends
    And a massive cowboy at that 🙈 I would expect the garage to at least fix the car at site of break down if not tow it back to the garage once it is under warranty, as I was informed by my own mechanic that if I was to attempt to fix myself or with another garage it voids the warranty, even something as simple as trying to jump the car myself will void the warranty. Hence the reason I kept pushing him, he also knows this as he tried to use it against me in the end thinking that I would probably have tried it when I got nowhere with him. Il be telling everyone I know all about him, once I get the car back in working order of course 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭goochy

just thought of a great way of dealing with dodgy dealers who wont fix a car , tell them you know people in revenue who would be delighted to do an audit on them !

goochy wrote: »
    just thought of a great way of dealing with dodgy dealers who wont fix a car , tell them you know people in revenue who would be delighted to do an audit on them !

Secondhand cars are bought and sold for cash, what is there to audit? There's no paper trail. And no VAT.

Even if there was, they have a way around that type of problem - go bust and start up with a new name the following Monday morning. It's standard practice for the multiple cowboys operating out of the Long Mile road area of Dublin.

Second hand cars at dealers are rarely sold for cash and money laundering laws mean only very cheap cars can be bought for cash. They are all limited companies so can be easily audited. You learn something new everyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JG86 wrote: »
    And a massive cowboy at that 🙈 I would expect the garage to at least fix the car at site of break down if not tow it back to the garage once it is under warranty, as I was informed by my own mechanic that if I was to attempt to fix myself or with another garage it voids the warranty, even something as simple as trying to jump the car myself will void the warranty. Hence the reason I kept pushing him, he also knows this as he tried to use it against me in the end thinking that I would probably have tried it when I got nowhere with him. Il be telling everyone I know all about him, once I get the car back in working order of course 😊

There's a reason why the AA exists. Even brand new cars from main dealers rarely get picked up by the garage if they break. It's usually upto the customer to get the car to the garage.

How would they know if you've jumped a car? Yes there's risk of blowing the ECU and other electronics but proving when it blew would be nearly impossible.

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's a reason why the AA exists. Even brand new cars from main dealers rarely get picked up by the garage if they break. It's usually upto the customer to get the car to the garage.

How would they know if you've jumped a car? Yes there's risk of blowing the ECU and other electronics but proving when it blew would be nearly impossible.

Not true, any time my boss car breaks down the garage collect, was even in athlone last week and it broke down on him and the garage picked it up and its four years old. My father has a brand new car and couldn't drive it because the back window got smashed and something to do with whatever is built into back windows these days prevented him from being able to drive it safely to the garage and they collected it for him. I was always under the assumption if the car is in warranty and needs to be repaired if itbwont start its due to the garage to collect and fix as it shouldnt have broken down in the first place and cost you extra money to tow or fix.

There is no such thing as a one size fits all warranty. Warranties come in all shapes and sizes depending on their terms and who is honoring them.

Second hand cars at dealers are rarely sold for cash and money laundering laws mean only very cheap cars can be bought for cash.

Money laundering laws means I can't open a bank account without producing identification, it does not stop me from withdrawing several thousand euros in cash from my existing account to hand to a dealer for a secondhand car. And a bank draft is as good as cash in the hands of a dealer.
    They are all limited companies so can be easily audited.

They are limited companies so that the directors can walk away if the business goes belly-up and for no other reason.
    You learn something new everyday

Not from you I didn't.

coyle i am a dub myself - youre a typical know all Dub - you cannot pay cash over a certain limit for anything. Dubs am one myself but hate them !

• Advertisement

Second hand cars at dealers are rarely sold for cash and money laundering laws mean only very cheap cars can be bought for cash. They are all limited companies so can be easily audited. You learn something new everyday

I didn't say I bought it for cash?

coyle i am a dub myself - youre a typical know all Dub....... Dubs am one myself but hate them !

I live in Dublin, that doesn't make me a dub.
    you cannot pay cash over a certain limit for anything.

What is the cash limit for commercial transactions and what is the law that created it?

Advertisement