Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of smell in primary?

Options
  • 21-11-2016 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭

Did a particular aroma-heavy cinnamon and ginger Christmas ale recently.. but I've a cider to go on next (in a week or two probably).

Any tips on getting the potent smell out of the primary? Difficult to remove entirely i'd imagine but even calm it down a bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

soak for a couple of days in your cleaning solution ?

A hint of cinnamon and ginger would be alright with cider anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

maximum12 wrote: »
    soak for a couple of days in your cleaning solution ?

A hint of cinnamon and ginger would be alright with cider anyway.
    Yeah, it wouldn't be the worst hint of flavour in a cider alright but just curious for future reference as to maybe a solution others use.

I've heard a vinegar-water mix mentioned somewhere too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Soak it in bleach for a few days then give it a good rinse before sanitising.

Another thing I sometimes do is suspend the fermenter upside down above a pot of boiling water and let it steam.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Soak it in bleach for a few days then give it a good rinse before sanitising.

Another thing I sometimes do is suspend the fermenter upside down above a pot of boiling water and let it steam.
    Nice, I like that idea..

As mentioned, I might leave it till after I do the cider as the risk of a cinnamon-ginger hint shouldn't be too bad, and may need another aroma-cleansing after cider also.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sodium bicarbonate, aka, bread soda, aka baking soda absorbs smells. People put plates in the fridge, or in smelly runners.

You can make a paste and smear it on the walls of the container.

• Advertisement

I used a small amount of vinegar and a load of water... seemed to have done the trick.

Advertisement