Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used Nikon D60 (Worth buying?)

• 21-11-2016 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice, want to buy a DSLR and have been looking at some second hand Nikons

Saw a Nikon D60 for sub €300 with accessories and a seemingly low shutter count

Would ye recommend buying this camera, I know it is 2009 year of release but has great reviews online and the shutter count is very low

Thanks for the advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

Can I ask what the accessories are? This seems very expensive to me if it's just a body with a few bit'n'bobs thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭lyndonjones

Silva360 wrote: »
    Can I ask what the accessories are? This seems very expensive to me if it's just a body with a few bit'n'bobs thrown in.

Two lens and a flash

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Two lens and a flash

Which lenses and flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

CabanSail wrote: »
    Which lenses and flash?

Nikon AF-S DX 18-55mm VR 1:3.5-5.6G

Nikon AF-S DX 55-200mm 1:4-5.6ED

Nikon Speedlight SB600

You seem clear in your knowledge that this is a very old camera (in current tech terms), so if you want a decent starter kit this appears to be a good deal. As with all used goods, make sure it's all working well....caveat emptor and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Silva360 wrote: »
    You seem clear in your knowledge that this is a very old camera (in current tech terms), so if you want a decent starter kit this appears to be a good deal. As with all used goods, make sure it's all working well....caveat emptor and all that.

It seems a good deal though they are old. Are they too old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Considering the two lens and the flash, it's not bad at all.

Only worry would be the condition of the D60. Whatever about it being old tech, you would want to check its condition... any scuffs or marks on it indicating a rough life? What's the shutter count? (these things have a "best before X clicks" on em) Try to take a few photos with it to ensure there's no issue attaching/detaching the lens. Check that they zoom smoothly and focus ok. Check the flash too... bring batteries in case the seller didn't think to bring any.

EDIT: You actually mentioned a low shutter count already. That's good. Just check the other stuff I mentioned. If you're happy it's all in working order, that's a handy starter kit for €300.

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    It seems a good deal though they are old. Are they too old?

It's really difficult to advise someone on what they might need/use.

Do you think you will use the flash and both of those lenses? If so, then the overall package is a good deal, you would almost certainly pay more to buy them all separately. Personally the camera would not be for me. But that's just me.

If you're having any doubts, and if it's a big outlay for you, maybe consider it a little longer.

You could always look here for comparable items and consider a different camera if it's within your budget (and you really want something a bit more up to date). With exchange rates the way they are, you may get a decent deal. If you bought a few items you could always blag them for a discount. They're highly reputable btw and you get the peace of mind of a 6 month warranty.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/

Anyway, good luck.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi Cuttlefish, just wondering if you bought a camera after? I've owned a D60 from new, it developed a fault error with the shutter, basically only a tiny slot of the picture was visible. I bought a replacement D60, body only for about £60 on ebay and everything has been fine since.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement