Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating to Homeless Charities

Options
  • 21-11-2016 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Just wonder where I can donate? I have childrens clothes/coats/scarves etc. and feel they might be useful ..... I passed someone this morning on the South Mall, wrapped in a blanket - I cannot think how cold last night must have been :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

You can call to Simons shelter on Andersons quay. They should take things off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

SVP are doing their annual Christmas giving tree fundraiser. Ok, not directly homeless related but they do also offer services to those without a home and would be one of the charities I'd have faith in (Simon too). They have an office on Tuckey Street in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Bacchus wrote: »
    SVP are doing their annual Christmas giving tree fundraiser. Ok, not directly homeless related but they do also offer services to those without a home and would be one of the charities I'd have faith in (Simon too). They have an office on Tuckey Street in the city.

The "Giving Tree" should have a table in Merchants quay any day now. Presumably there would be one in Mahon or the likes too.

We replaced secret Santa at work with this. Far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Just wonder where I can donate? I have childrens clothes/coats/scarves etc. and feel they might be useful ..... I passed someone this morning on the South Mall, wrapped in a blanket - I cannot think how cold last night must have been :(
    call Catirona in Cork Penny dinners they will literally take anything you have. clothes, household stuff (for people that do get housed) food and things like that, there open till about 2-3 every day. just down by the mercy off Washington street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

call into penny dinners, Catriona will take basically anything of you, clothes, food, household stuff (for people that get housed) just off washington street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

call into penny dinners, Catriona will take basically anything of you, clothes, food, household stuff (for people that get housed) just off washington street.

Perfect.... thanks so much. I got everyone here to give me jumpers and sweatshirts- so have loads.... will drop them in tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rioga na hEireann

Any time you have clothes like this, and they are decent and you would wear them yourself, just go into town and give them out to people sleeping in the doorways of grafton street, etc. Just make sure you buy brand new vests and t-shirts and things like that...

The criterion is "would I wear this if someone gave it to me"?

Sleeping bags, damp protectors and tents are also very good and potentially life-saving gifts

Advertisement