Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed bumps

Options
  • 21-11-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I live on a fairly quiet street in a housing estate. Some residents want to have speed bumps installed on my street. I don't want this, I think it's really unnecessary (never seen anyone speeding here) and it would probably end up right outside my house, it's already awkward enough to get out of my driveway sometimes. Is it possible to veto something like this or is it just a matter of the request being submitted with the council and they say yes or no, and there's nothing anyone can do about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

unless you live in a managed estate it will take a long time to get approval and the ramps installed. If the road is taken in charge speak to the LA to register your objection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

OK thanks! Not a managed estate, but I think the people who want this are quite friendly with the local TD, will have to look into this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's very little to do with local TDs and more to do with local councillors. Your local council makes such decisions and pays for such installations. Even for a place with a valid case for ramps, it can take years to get it done.

With these things, it will need to be raised at a council meeting, and the minutes for such are always available online. Even if approved, there would then be a consultation period where people can then lodge objections to the ramps.

Keep an eye on your council website and talk to your local councillors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Which council? Some have a policy to only put them on through roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Also, be aware that the bump outside your house may make the road more noisier for you, as people may be accelerating immediately after the ramp, depending on it's design, and how much they'll be slowing down and speeding up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

the_syco wrote: »
    Also, be aware that the bump outside your house may make the road more noisier for you, as people may be accelerating immediately after the ramp, depending on it's design, and how much they'll be slowing down and speeding up.

Or they can try and fly like on the one outside my place, in 8 years 3 lampposts and a tree have been taken out by morons racing over the ramps, still hear most nights a good few motors at high speed going over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Speed bumps are totally unproductive. I refer to the abominations on Bunting Road Walkinstown where an average car would be doing well to do 15kph in a 50 kph zone with the axle breakers present there.....

Also try doing over 20 kph on the bumps in Chapelizod or similar on the back road from Blanch to Lucan ( strawberry beds ) and lose a spring or two....

You might do the posted 50 kph in a tank but do not try it in an average car.

Advertisement