Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Too soon to jump?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cros13 wrote: »
    I queried my insurance. They said it would be covered under the public liability portion of the insurance unless there was a finding of negligent behavior on my part.

So it means someone could supposedly trip over it and claim against you and presumably losing your no claims bonus?! :eek:

I dont like the sound of that. No doubt the insurance company would just pay out rather than taking their chances in court.

I've yet to hear of anyone tripping over an ev charge cable at a charge point.

There should be a law to prevent people making a claim on the basis, "you got eyes then use them"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I've yet to hear of anyone tripping over an ev charge cable at a charge point.

its not an issue with some of them, just this one is a bit problematic.
    the ones in the Dart station are fine as its straight in against the fence, just like at home

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

At the moment there is no precedent set.
    The first time a claim is made your insurer is probably going to have to take it to court.

Somebody will claim that you left your charging car unattended, therefore you are negligent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We all have a duty of care, if you leave your car with a trip hazard then IMHO you have exposed yourself through lack of care, the poor position of the charge point in relation to the car charge port is irrelevant IMHO and it is your choice to charge up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Lets hope you are not going to be promoted to a judge then! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

KCross wrote: »
    So it means someone could supposedly trip over it and claim against you and presumably losing your no claims bonus?! :eek:

Well it's the same part of your insurance that covers you from claims from idiots not looking where they are going, walking into your parked car and breaking their nose.

Someone tripping over a EV cable is not something I've ever heard of causing a problem in the real world. Norway has 50 times the amount of EVs as Ireland with roughly the same population. They tend to come up against issues before us and it hasn't been an issue there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,110 ✭✭✭✭josip

Well it's the same part of your insurance that covers you from claims from idiots not looking where they are going, walking into your parked car and breaking their nose.

Someone tripping over a EV cable is not something I've ever heard of causing a problem in the real world. Norway has 50 times the amount of EVs as Ireland with roughly the same population. They tend to come up against issues before us and it hasn't been an issue there.

Are Norwegians as litigious as Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No. No one in Europe claims like the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm currently stuck with my current insurer indefinitely. I had a BS claim 2 years ago that ended up with nearly €11k of a claim which means most insurers won't touch me.

And my wife has an open claim dating back nearly 5 years which means that even without my own claim, I can't move insurer without dropping her off the policy.

Her claim is on an old Setanta van insurance policy so I have no idea when that will be closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Bit off topic but in relation to tripping over the cable the manufacturers would be better making them a brighter colour. At night-time a black cable could easily go unseen and result in trip.
    Now don't get me wrong I do think people have a responsibility to watch out for themselves but the courts don't always see it that way.

unkel wrote: »
    No. No one in Europe claims like the Irish.

Heavens help us if we ever got into Privathaftpflichtversicherung (Private Liability Insurance) and Rechtschutzversicherung (Legal Insurance) like the germans.

The horrified expression on a germans face if you suggested things like cycling in public without your Haftpflichtversicherung policy in your bag in triplicate ("wenn sie bei einem unfall getötet werden und es ist ihre schuld, die versicherung können die anderen beteiligt behaupten?").
    cruizer101 wrote: »
    in relation to tripping over the cable the manufacturers would be better making them a brighter colour.

The BMW one is neon blue. And self-coiling so it's often up off the pavement.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well their is the case of the "lady" who tripped and fell while walking on the boardwalk (timber sleepers) in Glendalough. District court awarded her €40,000 :eek:

Fortunately the High Court overturned the ruling, basically saying that she was responsible for looking where she was walking and watching for trip hazards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Heavens help us if we ever got into Privathaftpflichtversicherung (Private Liability Insurance) and Rechtschutzversicherung (Legal Insurance) like the germans.

Both of these cost a pittance (think €30 each or so per year) and everybody has them.

Why so cheap? Because a typical hurt knee with 3 stitches claim costs medical expenses + zero over there. Here it is medical expenses + €50,000 for "personal injuries" :rolleyes: shure all the doctors and lawyers have to take their share out of that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

unkel wrote: »
    Both of these cost a pittance (think €30 each or so per year) and everybody has them.

Gone up in price quite a bit, my last policy was €79 and €110 respectively. A lot of complaints about claims being too high from the insurers... doesn't sound familiar at all. :D

Advertisement