Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coop question

• 21-11-2016 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi guys, im 21 and have to go on coop in january. i still dont have a placement. im doing an arts course and it's very broad. i haven't found any specific area im interested in just yet.
    ive been checking the coop noticeboard and regular emails about placement opportunities. a lot dont pay. i may not know what i want to do in future, but i know i would like to be paid and to start earning money again.
    i was offered a job in retail lately. it is from january to june. 'll get paid for this job. i am thinking of taking it. people have been saying you should get a placement specific to the area you like, but how can i do that if im still not sure what that is yet! but at the same time, i dont want to feel like i am jeopardising myself for taking this retail job. what do you think?
    At this stage, i am worn out from this whole coop business. I would like to get it sorted out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

hi guys, im 21 and have to go on coop in january. i still dont have a placement. im doing an arts course and it's very broad. i haven't found any specific area im interested in just yet.
    ive been checking the coop noticeboard and regular emails about placement opportunities. a lot dont pay. i may not know what i want to do in future, but i know i would like to be paid and to start earning money again.
    i was offered a job in retail lately. it is from january to june. 'll get paid for this job. i am thinking of taking it. people have been saying you should get a placement specific to the area you like, but how can i do that if im still not sure what that is yet! but at the same time, i dont want to feel like i am jeopardising myself for taking this retail job. what do you think?
    At this stage, i am worn out from this whole coop business. I would like to get it sorted out.

I don't know about you but I'm in an arts course and we were told from Day Zero that paid placement is just not going to happen for us.

It's obviously not ideal and right now the idea of the money right in front of you is very appealing but you'll be grateful down the line if you have experience in something that's relevant to your degree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I was going to say, cutting out a lot of relevant jobs by only applying for paid work. I'd say 1 in 3 of ours were paid. If money is more important than work experience then go for it. (This is genuine even if it doesn't sound like it, know myself how important money can be in college.) If you're okay financially though, try and pick something relevant. Went teaching myself and glad I did. Know now I don't want to be a teacher. Be surprised how valuable work exp can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

If you intend getting your own co op job then do you have to notify UL of that by a particular date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If you intend getting your own co op job then do you have to notify UL of that by a particular date?

AFAIK, not a particular date. However, if you refuse to go to an interview that the Co-Op Office arrange, or turn down an offer, they'll stop arranging interviews for you and assume you're organsing your own.

If you haven't found your own yet, just keep looking and let them know if/when you find something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I don't know about you but I'm in an arts course and we were told from Day Zero that paid placement is just not going to happen for us.

It's obviously not ideal and right now the idea of the money right in front of you is very appealing but you'll be grateful down the line if you have experience in something that's relevant to your degree!

How come most of the courses have paid placements but not the arts courses?
    Seems like something the student union should investigate. My idea is start as you mean to continue in life, sell yourself short or work for pay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

How come most of the courses have paid placements but not the arts courses?
    Seems like something the student union should investigate. My idea is start as you mean to continue in life, sell yourself short or work for pay!

Because basic supply and demand really.

Tonnes of arts students looking for arts related jobs. Only a handful of organisations in the arts sector with the capacity to pay interns.

Advertisement