Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a quick 1.6 TDI

• 21-11-2016 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

The oul 1.6 petrol Avensis is starting to drain on the bank balance petrol wise.
    Someone mentioned me about looking at 1.6 TDI's. I like big cars with plenty of room. Would rather a saloon over a hatchback. Any recommendations? Would be looking at 08 and upwards. No budget set in mind but if I got an 08 with the cheaper insurance i would just go for that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You need a bigger engine than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Budget probably around 8500 max. Year of the car doesn't really bother me as long as the mileage isn't too high. Would the 1.6 TDI's be slow?

I do roughly 120 KM a week which would be 8KM back a forth with one long spin a week of 100KM up and 100km back which includes the motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Title is a little confusing. Are you looking to buy a 1.6 TDi car urgently or are you looking for a 1.6 TDi that is quick?

The 1.6 TDi is ok pace wise in a car the size and weight of a Golf but in a bigger and heavier Passat it's nowhere near quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Not looking at it urgently, getting a Christmas present for myself. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 1.6 TDI but just a friend said they would be light on diesel and quick enough.

Avensis is drinking petrol at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Its all relative, but a 1.6 TDI is not quick . a 2.0 engine wouldn't usually be more to tax and give similar economy.

Jodotman wrote: »
    Budget probably around 8500 max. Year of the car doesn't really bother me as long as the mileage isn't too high. Would the 1.6 TDI's be slow?

I do roughly 120 KM a week which would be 8KM back a forth with one long spin a week of 100KM up and 100km back which includes the motorway.

The VAG 1.6 TDi only came out in 2010 and with 8.5k you will be looking at a high miler. Really with your low mileage you should consider something like a 1.4 TSi Passat. They are turbocharged with 122bhp so offer more performance than the 1.6 TDi, only thing you need to watch out for is the timing chain which can stretch, check that it has been replaced along with the upgraded tensioners.

What about another petrol Avensis?

Mk3 1.6 litre dual VVTi, straight forward reliable engine with no turbo, DPF or DMF to worry about and still has a respectable 132bhp:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Avensis/NG-1.6/1803028004804958025/

Advert description says it's diesel but motorcheck confirms the car is a 1.6 petrol Strata model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

Let's say you're getting 30 mpg now (€14.50 a week) and you buy a diesel (50 mpg €8.00 a week) .The savings are hardly worth talking about.
    By all means buy a new car,but don't try and fool yourself that it's to save money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

vandriver wrote: »
    Let's say you're getting 30 mpg now (€14.50 a week) and you buy a diesel (50 mpg €8.00 a week) .The savings are hardly worth talking about.
    By all means buy a new car,but don't try and fool yourself that it's to save money.

Hey, he has to give some argument to wife as an excuse to change car! We all had some bull**** excuses told to our other half's at some point in our life's so we can go on donedeal and get a new toy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A lovely Ford Focus with a 1.6 tdi. Then you would have a car thats nice to drive too.

A Mazda 3 is a nice saloon or a 6 if you can get one in budget.

A VW Jetta might be another option but like Mercs they are an old mans car really so if your feeling old sure get a VW.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Parents have a 1.5 turbo 09 Quashqai and it's by no means a slouch on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

Hey, he has to give some argument to wife as an excuse to change car! We all had some bull**** excuses told to our other half's at some point in our life's so we can go on donedeal and get a new toy. :)
    You can't argue with the power of maths.Best stick to generalities.'Its aaytin da juice' is perfect.

Advertisement