Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushcraft

Options
  • 21-11-2016 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there I was wondering is there many people interested in bushcraft in Ireland. I have been studying it as a hobby about 4 years now and have found very few people or clubs interested in the subject in the south of Ireland mainly munster and south leinster. I camp out and practice skills on quite a regular basis

If there is anyone interested in talking about the subject or know any clubs ect please get in contact

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wellhorsebox

Look up wovenworld bushcraft on Facebook he is from Tipperary sound fella

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Welshlad1970

Outdoormad wrote: »
    Hi there I was wondering is there many people interested in bushcraft in Ireland. I have been studying it as a hobby about 4 years now and have found very few people or clubs interested in the subject in the south of Ireland mainly munster and south leinster. I camp out and practice skills on quite a regular basis

If there is anyone interested in talking about the subject or know any clubs ect please get in contact

Thank you

Hi, just moved to the Dublin area recently and I'm interested in joining other like minded individuals or groups who share my love of bushcrafting. My wife and kids have no interest in my hobby so I'm hoping to find fellow bushcrafters to share ideas and knowledge, group meetings and overnighters. There are some amazing wild areas here in Ireland, not unlike Wales, and i can't wait to get out there and sample some of it. But it seems bushcrafting people are a little thin on the ground over here so i joined these boards in the hope that i'm proved wrong and my celtic cousins are just as passionate about getting out there and getting their hands dirty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Outdoormad

Hi, just moved to the Dublin area recently and I'm interested in joining other like minded individuals or groups who share my love of bushcrafting. My wife and kids have no interest in my hobby so I'm hoping to find fellow bushcrafters to share ideas and knowledge, group meetings and overnighters. There are some amazing wild areas here in Ireland, not unlike Wales, and i can't wait to get out there and sample some of it. But it seems bushcrafting people are a little thin on the ground over here so i joined these boards in the hope that i'm proved wrong and my celtic cousins are just as passionate about getting out there and getting their hands dirty!!

Hey mate hope Ireland treating you good. They are some clubs in Ireland but most of the time they seem to have no space for new members or a long waiting list to go do an overnighter. I find the best way to meet new people to practice bushcraft with in ireland is true forums fb instagram ect. I have made good freinds over the years true doing this. If you are interested in talking about the subject or getting a camp going pleese feel free to message me

Hey mate hope Ireland treating you good. They are some clubs in Ireland but most of the time they seem to have no space for new members or a long waiting list to go do an overnighter. I find the best way to meet new people to practice bushcraft with in ireland is true forums fb instagram ect. I have made good freinds over the years true doing this. If you are interested in talking about the subject or getting a camp going pleese feel free to message me

Hey, Outdoormad, thanks for your reply. Yeah, I like Ireland very much, feel quite at home here. I've been getting around a fair bit, looking for wild places for a camp out, mostly around Donegal and Fermanagh, Wicklow looks good to, but i prefer to be on the coast and I think the west of Ireland is rugged and remote, perfect for getting out and into whatever nature throws at you! I live closeby to the Wicklow mountains and I'm looking at doing some overnighters around the Glendalough area within the next few weeks. Where do you normally pitch camp yourself? I'm definately up for doing a camp, i figured choosing an area, putting the wife and kids up in a hotel or B&B and heading off into the hills. I'm a bit of a gear freak and i've been fortunate enough to receive a canvas swag as a Christmas gift, i slept in it on Stephens night in the garden and really can't wait to pit it through it's paces in a more exposed, remote places. What kind of set up do you employ? I'm off to the Bushcraft Show in the UK later this year, to spend some of my hard earned cash on more stuff that i don't really need but sod it, if you can't enjoy the fruits of your labour, then why labour!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Outdoormad

Hey, Outdoormad, thanks for your reply. Yeah, I like Ireland very much, feel quite at home here. I've been getting around a fair bit, looking for wild places for a camp out, mostly around Donegal and Fermanagh, Wicklow looks good to, but i prefer to be on the coast and I think the west of Ireland is rugged and remote, perfect for getting out and into whatever nature throws at you! I live closeby to the Wicklow mountains and I'm looking at doing some overnighters around the Glendalough area within the next few weeks. Where do you normally pitch camp yourself? I'm definately up for doing a camp, i figured choosing an area, putting the wife and kids up in a hotel or B&B and heading off into the hills. I'm a bit of a gear freak and i've been fortunate enough to receive a canvas swag as a Christmas gift, i slept in it on Stephens night in the garden and really can't wait to pit it through it's paces in a more exposed, remote places. What kind of set up do you employ? I'm off to the Bushcraft Show in the UK later this year, to spend some of my hard earned cash on more stuff that i don't really need but sod it, if you can't enjoy the fruits of your labour, then why labour!!

I am from the south east so I rarely get that far north last time I seen donegal was over 3 years ago now shame cause its a beautiful area. I was camping near Glendalough last year I done the Wicklow way trail. If you ever get a chance to do it you wont be disappointed 😀 Have camped in Killarney Cavan Mayo alot of the country to be honest but when staying close to home just use my local woods some areas around wexford and the Comeragh mountains. Been doing so now a good while I try go out once a week but more if possible. Laws on camping are fairly shady but leave no trace you wont have a problem. Never had any issues with it over the years. I am a bit of a gear freak myself just recently purchased a new crook knife for spoon making. Lucky you are you a fan of canvas gear ? I find it great when waxed but very heavy. I use a robens starlight tent at the moment but when the weather heats up will switch to hammock and tarp. I have been meaning to go for some time but life unfortunately has not been good enough to me yet 😂 What parts of bushcraft are you interested in ? Do you find any of the youtube channels helpfull or would you stick to books ?

I am from the south east so I rarely get that far north last time I seen donegal was over 3 years ago now shame cause its a beautiful area. I was camping near Glendalough last year I done the Wicklow way trail. If you ever get a chance to do it you wont be disappointed 😀 Have camped in Killarney Cavan Mayo alot of the country to be honest but when staying close to home just use my local woods some areas around wexford and the Comeragh mountains. Been doing so now a good while I try go out once a week but more if possible. Laws on camping are fairly shady but leave no trace you wont have a problem. Never had any issues with it over the years. I am a bit of a gear freak myself just recently purchased a new crook knife for spoon making. Lucky you are you a fan of canvas gear ? I find it great when waxed but very heavy. I use a robens starlight tent at the moment but when the weather heats up will switch to hammock and tarp. I have been meaning to go for some time but life unfortunately has not been good enough to me yet 😂 What parts of bushcraft are you interested in ? Do you find any of the youtube channels helpfull or would you stick to books ?

I have many books on bushcraft and nature and i'm an avid reader. I have most of Ray Mears publications and also Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstalls river cottage series is a must if you indulge in wild foods. Also James Wong's "Grow Your Own Drugs" is a very good book to own if alternative medicines are of interest. Youtube is also a good source of information, i like the channels produced by MQC Bushcraft, Suzanne Williams and ReallybigMonkey 1, to name but a few, and being a gear freak, i like to view PreparedMind 101 for his new gear reviews. Yeah, really into canvas and wool, so much more durable than synthetic material, although having said that, i do own a few items from Fjallraven, the G 1000 material is top drawer and the fleece garments produced by Swazi are my go to outdoor clothing for most conditions. Really good gear, expensive, but definately worth it! Footwear is by Merrell, for me, they make the best outdoor footwear, in fact, they are the only make of footwear i own!! Cutting tools tend to be soley from Mora, quality at a low price and i'm sorely tempted to part with 100 euros for their new Garberg knife which is stainless steel and full tang. I also like some of the stuff Schrade are producing, particulary their folding shovel and froe. I don't own a crook knife, but my wife bought me a Flexcut Carving Jack a few years ago and i absolutely love using it, along with my leatherman Surge and leatherman Piranha, a great combo for just about any situation! But ultimately, i think the goal for any bushcrafter is minimalism, i'm a long way off that kind of expertise, but check out a British explorer called Ed Stafford, I've been following his series ' Marooned' where he is dropped off in remote locations whete he has to survive for up to 10 days with absolutely no kit other than cameras to film with, an emergency first aid kit and a satellite phone to be used only in emergencies! Really good viewing. I don't go much on Bear Ghyrills though, he is an extrodinary athelete, no doubt about that, but sone of his survival tactics are not available to everyone, i'd kill myself for sure if i tried some of the stuff he does!!

Advertisement