Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or is this the most boring show on tv now?

Options
  • 21-11-2016 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

I've loved every season to date, but this season nothing is happening! I wait on something to happen every episode now and its just become so slow and drawn out! Hard to watch now I find..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

In the first episode people were beaten to death with a bat - something happened.

In the second episode there was a fricken Tiger - something happened.

In the third episode...........you get the picture.

But if you find it hard to watch I would urge you to stop watching, it probably won't get any better for you. I would recommend a show called "How Not To Live Your Life" - Brit comedy, quite enjoyable.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's not just you. It has been on a downward slide for the past two seasons imo.

I think a large part of the problem is shifting the focus away from the characters we have been following since the start, and on to really atrocious, cartoonish characters who have taken centre stage. It has also meant the zombies - on a zombie show - have become largely a backdrop rather than the genuine menacing presence they were at the start.

There doesn't appear to be a planned ending in sight and the show seems to be going the way of The Simpsons - uninterested in quality and solely interested in making cash and churning out pap.

Best thing for this show would be for ratings to slump and for the writers to realise it's time to draw this thing to a close. It might lead to a sharper focus on important issues and less emphasis on the political machinations involving C-level characters the audience doesn't care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Unearthly

To be fair to the show I haven't really thought any season was great but for some reason I watch it every week so I must secretly like it.

It's also probably the second biggest drama for replies on boards after game of thrones for episode discussion so looks like I'm not alone.

For me the most boring shows on TV are police/law procedurals

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ueah , awful season so far.

Last nights ep especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Okay I see, so this is a thread for the haters. Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

jacksie66 wrote: »
    At least it's not as bad as Fear The Walking Dead..

I actually enjoyed FTWD a little more this season, it's certainly no masterpiece but it moves along at an OK pace, which The Walking Dead does not.

I still enjoy it and I wouldn't be watching if I didn't, but it's about the worst show going for pointless exposition.

When it hits the high points - and it does hit them - it's up there with the best but it's so unreliable and inconsistent in rising and falling so dramatically that the good stuff tends to be squandered.

It doesn't irk me because it's a bad show, on the contrary it irks me because it would be a stellar show if they would just trim the fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Agree with Mr Nice Guy. it's been a tedious borefest for ages now. I stopped watching last season myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

OP has obviously never been forced to watch Gray's Anatomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

OP has obviously never been forced to watch Gray's Anatomy.

Outlawed by the UN so I heard.

As it is, its not too surprising the characters and series turns a little cartoonish because dare I say it, the original material is a comic. Also the focus on 'People are the real enemy' theme means zombies become background noise in a zombie apocalypse setting. Never good as it reduces the pressure people are under - if 99% of America is dead, and there is a dangerous human group 10 miles away why not move 100 miles away and exploit the abandoned, free resources there? Zombies! But in TWD, zombies have become a minor irritant. The TV series accelerated the pathetic threat rating of zombies with the Glenn under a rubbish bin debacle last season. The pressure cooker that drives the drama is removed.

That said, I don't think TWD in either comic or TV format was initially intended to be as long as it is. It could have been wrapped up as a coherent whole a very long time ago, but success demands more and more content. The longer a story extends beyond its initial sketch, the more the whole structure creaks and groans under the contradictions. It is no ones fault - it just is.

As it is, I do like the current series - Negan is highlighting the failure of Ricks approach. Rick views people as threats, to be avoided and kept out. Negan views people as investments and assets that he can use. Negan is the villain but Negan has hundreds of people in his network, and initially at least Rick is almost ridiculously trying to take him on with a half dozen people in a camper van. People are power - its a lesson Negan is going to teach Rick, beat it into him. This is the turning point where the whole theme of the series turns - people are a strength, not a weakness. Ricks vision of tiny, isolated, distrustful groups fails, Negans vision succeeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

The Walking Dead boring? Seriously?! I know it can get a bit patchy the way they tell the story of each group separately but even so, it's anything but boring...

Well...for me anyway.

I love the show, including the Tiger! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I avoided s7 episode 1 and waited until there were four episodes available and watched them all in one sitting.

If this season is going to be as dark and negative as it looks like its going to be then I'm going to do that with the entire season, save it up and get it all done in one weekend when the season is over.

Stringing it out week to week just leaves a bad feeling...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

the slow pace is just about tolerable on a box set, but it really doesn't help when you're watching week to week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

The problem for me is each episode only focusing on 1 story line. Few of the story line's can sustain a whole hour to themselves. I also find it makes it hard to understand the timeline of things.

It also seems like most episodes are just set up for mid season and season finales too. Obviously that happens in all shows to some degree but it seems worse on TWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

When people ask about some sort of conclusion to this show are they want some sort of answer/cure to the zombie infection or just some sort of meaningful resolution to Rick's journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

TWD just seems to have settled into a predictable routine.

Episode 1 - Lots of gory violence
    Episodes 2 to 6 - Nothing much happens
    Episodes 7 and 8 - Build up to mid season and end of season cliffhangers

Repeat for the second half of 8 episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Further to my previous post; yes, last night's episode was boring. I can see where people are coming from, as this really was a dull interlude. (Tara as a character isn't strong enough - or interesting enough - for a whole episode to herself.)

I really hope next week isn't a whole episode of Heath's adventures after the bridge now, I want to see the main gang!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

It's gone a bit stale. It kind of becomes similar. New group to conflict with, lose some cast, gain some cast, overcome, repeat etc. Love to know the end game of the show. Better to leave with the audience wanting more than the other way aroudn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The problem for me is each episode only focusing on 1 story line. Few of the story line's can sustain a whole hour to themselves. I also find it makes it hard to understand the timeline of things.
    The woman that plays Tara is an extremely weak actress and was peripheral for much of her time in the show.
    The decision to base a full episode around her was extremely dubious and lead to one of the worst episodes in the entire series so far.
    I was hoping against hope that she would get killed but all those women were all woeful shots even when she was right in front of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

"The Walking Dead's seventh season premiere received 17.03 million viewers in its initial broadcast on AMC in the United States. The viewership steadily declined every week after the premiere, with the sixth episode of the season dropping to 10.40 million viewers, the lowest rating the show has had since season three."

"Executive producer David Alpert said in 2014 that the original comics have given them enough ideas for Rick Grimes and company over the next seven years. "I happen to love working from source material, specifically because we have a pretty good idea of what Season 10 is gonna be", Alpert said. "We know where seasons 11 and 12 [will be]... we have benchmarks and milestones for those seasons if we're lucky enough to get there."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Ye I haven't really enjoyed the last few episodes that much. I don't feel a lot of the newer characters stand out or seem like they've been through an apocalypse although I know it's been a couple of years since the outbreak. I think people look a bit too well put together or something and I agree with other posters that the zombies have kind of lost their presence in the show

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Destinarian

I completely agree with 'InTheTrees.
    The first episode of this season, I found really hard to watch, painfully so. I felt caged up, like I'd no where to go but submit to this new story arc of submissive Rick. So watching the ensuing episodes excluding last Monday's (I've boycotted my pattern of watching it on release night - an act of defiance towards towards my expectations) I just watched with chagrin, grimacing as I was realising what I was doing with my time, watching unentertainment. So I too have decided to only watch it when enthusiasm to do so is upon me or indeed genuine curiosity, as week after week my expectations have been let down, so much so that I started to expect to be disappointed and last weeks episode was so trivial to me that I used the fast forward button. No disrespect to the actors in that episode, but I was watching it saying to myself 'who are these two, Do I really care what happens to them, let's get back to some shooting and swordsmanship. Fingers crossed this neagan crew get to experience what they've been dishing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

The comic drags on and on and never reaches any sort of conclusion so there should be no expectation that the TV show will do anything except taper out. It it getting really boring so I have just stopped watching as given the comments by the production team about keeping it going for another 7 years I have no expectation of anything really interesting happening. It is bound to be cancelled before the creators get to implement their ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

AlanG wrote: »
    The comic drags on and on and never reaches any sort of conclusion so there should be no expectation that the TV show will do anything except taper out. It it getting really boring so I have just stopped watching as given the comments by the production team about keeping it going for another 7 years I have no expectation of anything really interesting happening. It is bound to be cancelled before the creators get to implement their ideas.
    The comics regularly go into 6 part arcs with definite conclusions. The issue with the TV show is 16 episodes per season is far to long to convey a similar story as the comics do in their 6 part arcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This show has gone from watch on Monday to watch whenever I get a chance.
    Not helping that with so little happening in a lot of episodes, they still drag it out to an hour

CastorTroy wrote: »
    This show has gone from watch on Monday to watch whenever I get a chance.
    Not helping that with so little happening in a lot of episodes, they still drag it out to an hour

Ha sums us up here to, and even when we do watch it we have phones out. Like one of the more interesting arcs ... the kingdom got shown and then ditched for ages in favor of filler. The cycle of splitting and reuniting the group has become a chore and filling the in-between with peripheral characters story to fill in the gaps has become to much we're out at this point. Annoyed the hell out of us the spin off even resorted to the same formula :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched the first season of Fear and didn't even try the second.

Strange how a SyFy/Asylum zombie show is the best one on tv, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The woman that plays Tara is an extremely weak actress and was peripheral for much of her time in the show.
    The decision to base a full episode around her was extremely dubious and lead to one of the worst episodes in the entire series so far.
    I was hoping against hope that she would get killed but all those women were all woeful shots even when she was right in front of them.

Agreed, her sister was a much better character who had one of the worst payoffs to a character in the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd imagine Andrew Lincoln must be getting pretty bored at this stage. Surely he wants to move on and capitalise on the exposure the show has given him.

Advertisement