Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phishing scam Seven monies

Options
  • 22-11-2016 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi, I got caught by phishing scam. I think I escaped any damage financially but would worry about identity theft. I've sent my lap top to be wiped asap and cancelled bank cards. No evidence of any suspicious activity on bank accounts.

what happened was I was browsing Internet earlier and got locked out with a very unnerving red screen telling me I had been hacked, all my passwords etc had been hacked and advising I contact windows asap to rectify. I was on my way out to work so was under huge pressure and was totally freaked out so rang the number. Long story short they were looking for money for a security service to stop the trojan horse and were v convincing going thro where all the problems were on my computer etc. I thought it was Windows / Microsoft. Unfortunately I got sucked into giving details such as my name address email and card details in order to buy this support service - yes I'm feeling pretty stupid. But when they asked for my date of birth I got uneasy and didn't like the look of the website I was directed to so stopped there and hung up and Google "seven monies" and scam came up.

I'm now worried about what else I need to do. I have so many passwords but they are mostly different ones. will the lap top wiping wipe all passwords? Should I now be going thro as many sites as I can changing passwords. What else could happen? How could identity theft manifest itself without bank details? So anxious, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

paddles wrote: »
    Unfortunately I got sucked into giving details such as my name address email and card details in order to buy this support service .

Right, you're already on damage control (with the personal details regarding the bank).

I'd recommend using a password manager like Lastpass (you just use a very long master password and let it auto generate passwords for sites... so you just have to remember the one). I think 1Password also works the same, but I've used Lastpass for years (including the app and chrome/firefox plugins).

You can also use the lastpass app and add the sites manually. It'll be a laborious process, but worth it in the end.

If it was a gmail account you can use Google Takeout to download a backup of all your emails and create a brand new account.

I'd almost set up a ProtonMail account (that's the tinfoil hat speaking!) https://protonmail.com/

As you learned the hard way, common sense is the last resort when it comes to online security. Essentially "human hacking". For malware / viruses I use a site called AV Test to determine which antivirus is the best for me.

EDIT: Oh! Sorry, just remembered using a adblocker extension. Something like uBlock Origin for chrome/firefox.

Advertisement