Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings Account Question

• 22-11-2016 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a custom saver account with BOI. It's setup to take €200 every two weeks. Thing is, I haven't been able to save for the last 8 months so every two weeks when the savings account takes €200 from my current account I immediately send it back into my current account (which takes about a week to transfer).

There really is no point in me having a savings account at this time. I was going to close it but a customer service representative in BOI said it was better to keep it open regardless if I immediately withdraw the savings each time they go through. He said it shows a history of me being able to save. The fact that BOI are able to take the €200 every two weeks (as there's sufficient funds to do so) is really important even though the money doesn't stay there.

Is this true? I would have thought the opposite.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a custom saver account with BOI. It's setup to take €200 every two weeks. Thing is, I haven't been able to save for the last 8 months so every two weeks when the savings account takes €200 from my current account I immediately send it back into my current account (which takes about a week to transfer).

There really is no point in me having a savings account at this time. I was going to close it but a customer service representative in BOI said it was better to keep it open regardless if I immediately withdraw the savings each time they go through. He said it shows a history of me being able to save. The fact that BOI are able to take the €200 every two weeks (as there's sufficient funds to do so) is really important even though the money doesn't stay there.

Is this true? I would have thought the opposite.

It was always my understanding that when applying for mortages etc, a track record of regular, constant, untouched savings for at least 6 months was looked for. Other users may correct me on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

That's what I thought tot. Best to cancel my savings account until I can do so at a later date.

Advertisement