Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which component has likely failed here ?

Options
  • 22-11-2016 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, calling on the sparkies here for some insight. A friend purchased a light lamp from the states and it came with a 2 pin american / 3 pin irish adapter. The unit is obviously 110V and she just assumed that as it came with the adapter, she could just fire it up. Nope. Dead. I opened it up and there is one small fuse (F1) on the board which is intact. What do you think has most likely failed due to over voltage ? Transformer perhaps? Here is a link to the exact item. Some clear pics of the internals just down the page

http://www.leeholmes.com/blog/2014/11/29/repairing-a-naturebright-suntouch-plus/

Any feedback greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's stated that it takes 120V, not 230V.
    Do you have a picture of the adapter type? Was it a definitely a step down transformer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Effects wrote: »
    It's stated that it takes 120V, not 230V.
    Do you have a picture of the adapter type? Was it a definitely a step down transformer?

Yes, its 120v which was plugged directly into a 230V irish socket. The fact that it came with the 3pin adapter was a bit stupid in fairness. I purchased a step-down TF after the event but the damage has obviously been done. So its back to the "what most likely has failed" query. We might be able to source a replacement part if we can establish exactly whats dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd take a look for a blown fuse first. There's one marked F1 on that link you sent. Check that out. Also look at where the power cable goes into the casing for a fuse holder there somewhere.

Effects wrote: »
    I'd take a look for a blown fuse first. There's one marked F1 on that link you sent. Check that out. Also look at where the power cable goes into the casing for a fuse holder there somewhere.
    yep, F1 is good. No sign of another though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Was this sold in Ireland? (Or from anywhere in the EU?)

It's impossible for that to be in compliance with CE so any marking is fake.

You should make a complaint to the CCPC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Do you have a meter?

Is voltage reaching the transformer?
    Is there 12V coming out of the transformer?
    Is there voltage on the grey lamp control box? (Probably an electronic ballast).

Not easy for anyone to guess without more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Was this sold in Ireland? (Or from anywhere in the EU?)

It's impossible for that to be in compliance with CE so any marking is fake.

You should make a complaint to the CCPC
    Read the original post ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Could be many things.
    Capacitors probably not rated, IC is probably not rated. Any signs or smell of burns?

You'd have to get a meter and start checking components from the input right through.

I'll be picking this up during the week to have a delve with the multimeter and see if we can spot what's going on. Will update....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭cml387

I would guess there's a power supply that takes in 110v and gives out 5V dc for the electronic circuit board.

The power supply is probably blown. Not an easy fixt (I've done it at work when we received pc's that were supposed to have been switched over to 220V but weren't:o).

• Advertisement
Advertisement