Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Media player

Options
  • 22-11-2016 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm looking to finally update my media player (Popcorn A110) which has been great for 7 years but finally its time to move on,
    It started labouring with the Jungles episode of Planet Earth 2 last night (1080p video 45 Mbps+).

Anyway looking at the A500 model, it looks nice - and has network streaming which is a huge plus ..

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=73953

Also any other suggestions welcome,

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Look into a Intel NUC on Amazon even the celeron version would suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Look into a Intel NUC on Amazon even the celeron version would suit.

Gotta agree 100% with this, I had the Popcornhour C-200 for a couple of years way back before I switched to a HTPC. It worked well but was a bit cumbersome to configure and I always wanted something more. I spent a lot of time on the NMT forums. I'd never got back to an NMT now - a cheap NUC is the way to go running Kodi. The customisation is incredible and compatibility is perfect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

664 € ... thats for the i7 one .... , what would I need to play 4k content ?

What about a Roku 3 - can that play media from a HDD or does it only stream ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I got the nVidia Shield and it's been an excellent Android box. Finally able to have Netflix and Kodi on the same machine/remote is nice.

Are you hoping to stream from your media player to other devices or talking about just streaming content TO the player? For the former I would think a NAS is the way to go leaving you with lower hardware reqs for the media player allowing it to be upgraded/changed independently.

• Advertisement

Streaming is nice, but also to be able to play local MKV/AVI files like the Popcorn does ... some of those HTPCs look nice, but Eur600 is pricey..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

FireTV with Kodi is a good solution. Newer versions play 4K.

degsie wrote: »
    FireTV with Kodi is a good solution. Newer versions play 4K.

Local too ?

Cheers .. will check it out ..

edit hmmm not looking good for mkv...

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-play-MKV-files-on-Amazon-Fire-TV

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Local too ?

Cheers .. will check it out ..

edit hmmm not looking good for mkv...

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-play-MKV-files-on-Amazon-Fire-TV

MKV's play fine via native Kodi player, that article is referring to using Plex which is not needed.

Advertisement